Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2020, 03:45 AM   #1
bocephus

Default Some confusion about DFRPG books/supplements

First let me say DF wasnt really a thing for me till I realized that the way I run GURPS 'fantasy settings' is largely a mix of GURPS and DF ...

I have started looking into deeper into DF, and I have bought a few books that were useful to me as aids. Specifically DF Companion (1) and DF 8: Treasure Tables. Ive looked over some of the other supplements some might be helpful some arent for me.
example I dont feel the need for templates for instance, that locked in progression is one of the big reasons I stopped running D&D so many moons ago and they are WAY to high point value for most games I run.

I just started looking into the traps part of the Companion (to see what spice I could throw inot an encounter) and now Im confused by the reference to the "source book". It says "Adventurers pg 116" but when I go on Warehouse 23 and look at DF Adventurers it only has 31 pages.

I see that the Box set has a book that apparently the same title and has 128 pages (Im guessing this is it) . Its not a super big deal cause I will probably pick up the 5 book core set if I can ever find it here, in Germany (I dont want B/W Print on demand version I want the actual color stuff). Im just curious what the difference is between the apparently 128pg Adventurers book and the 20ish smaller supplements ....

Are the supplements reprints of sections of the source book, or additions, or whats in the core book that isnt in the supplements (besides pg 116 hehheh)?

Why no difference in title? (I almost bought the supplement which would have been useless for this purpose). The only indicator seems to be a number. Like DF 1: Adventurers is not DF: Adventurers.

Are there any other book/supplement name crossovers I should be aware of before I start considering a purchase?

Last is a side question, are the current box sets actually color print or was that only for the kickstarter and I will end up with B/W stuff?

Im still angry about buying a 4e Magic that was not a color version, indexing sucks without it, because Amazon.de wasn't specific and only had a picture of the cover. I kept it but I'm really harboring a grudge that refreshes every time I pull it out to use it or talk about it... therapy may be in order
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote