Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Dalillama

Default Re: cold iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
I thought the reference was to "cold wrought iron" -- that is, to iron worked by hammering, without heating. That this was used to work meteoritic iron before the invention of forges probably cements the connection.
Nope. You can't cold work iron into a weapon. 'Cold iron' is semantically equivalent to 'hot lead' and refers generally to any tool or weapon made of iron or steel. This is the only meaning the term has ever had prior to D&D introducing a separate kind that affected certain monsters. Iron in general has been sovereign against all manner of supernatural threats in European lore at least since Pliny, who suggests that iron nails placed about the doorway will keep out malign spirits.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Does anyone know of myths about magical beings avoiding natural deposits of iron? That could make an interesting setting or excuse for pockets of humans in an otherwise uninhabitable to humans world.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
You can't cold work iron into a weapon.
Not true: the Inuit, for example, cold-worked iron from the Cape York meteorite into lance heads and knives. Cold-working preserves the crystalline structure of meteoritic iron (Widmannstätten pattern), which cannot be duplicated on Earth, so the identification is sound.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

This thread made me realize that I don't actually know what cold working means.
A quick Google search says it's working a metal below its recrystalization temperature. For iron, that is around 450 C depending on numerous variables. So cold is a very relative term.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Does anyone know of myths about magical beings avoiding natural deposits of iron? That could make an interesting setting or excuse for pockets of humans in an otherwise uninhabitable to humans world.
You don't get natural deposits of metallic iron except as meteorites, and iron compounds are everywhere.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Nope. You can't cold work iron into a weapon. 'Cold iron' is semantically equivalent to 'hot lead' and refers generally to any tool or weapon made of iron or steel. This is the only meaning the term has ever had prior to D&D introducing a separate kind that affected certain monsters. Iron in general has been sovereign against all manner of supernatural threats in European lore at least since Pliny, who suggests that iron nails placed about the doorway will keep out malign spirits.
The point of that part of the poem is that the King had cannon and the Baron had only hand weapons and a castle, and was bringing a sword to a gun fight. Then it of course switched to where we realize it was a parable.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You don't get natural deposits of metallic iron except as meteorites, and iron compounds are everywhere.
But iron ore must be able to get pretty concentrated. At least enough to affect compasses. With how long compasses of some sort have been around, I'd think there could be a myth or two related to that.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But iron ore must be able to get pretty concentrated. At least enough to affect compasses.
That's an issue of ore type. Magnetite (commonly found as black sand) reacts to magnetic fields.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #19
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Not true: the Inuit, for example, cold-worked iron from the Cape York meteorite into lance heads and knives. Cold-working preserves the crystalline structure of meteoritic iron (Widmannstätten pattern), which cannot be duplicated on Earth, so the identification is sound.
True. Technically I should have said "can't make weapons suitable for fighting opponents with steel or even bronze equipment."
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
The Colonel

As an aside, if you insisted on having metal that have never been heated, you could presumably electro-precipitate iron … not sure it would be much use, but it would fit the bill if required for some mystical reason... folklore always did adore a loophole.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote