Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [MH] [RPM] Willing Sacrifice & Mind Control

As brought up in another thread, the ability to use other people as willing sacrifices appears to be problematic for some GMs as it allows the witch to accumulate awesome amounts of energy without risk (other than the sacrifice's potential death if drawn upon sufficiently).

My question is: Does a magically (or psi) controlled or influenced sacrifice count as "willing"? They do understand what is being asked of them, and they do consent, even if that consent is coerced.

By default, I'd say yes, but I'd like confirmation and/or arguments one way or the other. :)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [MH] [RPM] Willing Sacrifice & Mind Control

If acting under coercion disallows use of sacrifice, then sacrifice will almost never work in adventures - e.g. not wanting your friend to die, and thus risking a sacrifice is a case of being indirectly coerced into it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
My question is: Does a magically (or psi) controlled or influenced sacrifice count as "willing"? They do understand what is being asked of them, and they do consent, even if that consent is coerced.
If you're using psi, magic, etc., to make someone sacrifice his FP or HP, he's not "willing." Willing means, "Done, borne, or accepted by choice or without reluctance." The "choice" part is rather important there. If you'll forgive the harsh analogy, Mind Control and similar effects don't produce a "willing" subject any more than date-rape drugs produce a "willing" participant.

Rogue witches can certainly enslave people and sacrifice them, but they have to do it the old-fashioned way (murder) using the Unwilling Sacrifice rules from MH3.

Coercion is okay, because the person is still making the choice. "Help me or I'll kill your wife," is a valid threat, because he could choose to let his wife die. But Mind Control takes away that choice completely -- he's not making the sacrifice, you are making it on his behalf.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
If acting under coercion disallows use of sacrifice, then sacrifice will almost never work in adventures - e.g. not wanting your friend to die, and thus risking a sacrifice is a case of being indirectly coerced into it.
That's not coercion, that's voluntarily sacrificing yourself for your friend. And the subject here is mystical or psychic coercion, anyway.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
That's not coercion, that's voluntarily sacrificing yourself for your friend. And the subject here is mystical or psychic coercion, anyway.
I consider it indirect, unintended/unwilling coercion (through threatening a friend) ['You made me do it! Now you will pay!'], but RPK has spoken, and cleared up the situation that is actually relevant to the OP.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Novembermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I consider it indirect, unintended/unwilling coercion (through threatening a friend) ['You made me do it! Now you will pay!'], but RPK has spoken, and cleared up the situation that is actually relevant to the OP.
You made a choice out of free will. You don't get to say "I didn't mean it" as long as you actually make the decision.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novembermike View Post
You made a choice out of free will. You don't get to say "I didn't mean it" as long as you actually make the decision.
Well, if somebody was actually holding a friend or family member hostage and threatening to kill them if you didn't comply, that would indeed be coercion. But agreeing with your friends or allies to voluntarily sacrifice yourself to save another friend or ally would not. Coercion requires there to be some agency trying to force you to act in a certain way. Since in the second case your enemies are straightforwardly trying to kill or torture your friend, they don't actually want you to do everything possible to rescue them, up to and including self-sacrifice, so they're not coercing you, your friends are not coercing you but rather letting you make the choice yourself, so while you may feel your choices in that situation are a bit constrained, given the danger to the friend and your feelings of loyalty or code of honor, it's not actually coercion so long as nobody's trying to force you to make a certain choice.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Well, if somebody was actually holding a friend or family member hostage and threatening to kill them if you didn't comply, that would indeed be coercion. But agreeing with your friends or allies to voluntarily sacrifice yourself to save another friend or ally would not. Coercion requires there to be some agency trying to force you to act in a certain way. Since in the second case your enemies are straightforwardly trying to kill or torture your friend, they don't actually want you to do everything possible to rescue them, up to and including self-sacrifice, so they're not coercing you, your friends are not coercing you but rather letting you make the choice yourself, so while you may feel your choices in that situation are a bit constrained, given the danger to the friend and your feelings of loyalty or code of honor, it's not actually coercion so long as nobody's trying to force you to make a certain choice.
Fair enough.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Novembermike

Quote:
It's still a free choice. You can let them kill your family member. The only time I would consider it out of your control is if you don't agree and it happens anyway.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
If you're using psi, magic, etc., to make someone sacrifice his FP or HP, he's not "willing." Willing means, "Done, borne, or accepted by choice or without reluctance."
[....]
Coercion is okay, because the person is still making the choice. "Help me or I'll kill your wife," is a valid threat, because he could choose to let his wife die. But Mind Control takes away that choice completely -- he's not making the sacrifice, you are making it on his behalf.
I don't think the coercion case is compatible with the common understanding of "without reluctance" if you're dealing with impersonal forces like most spell magic, and with respect, "by choice" is a value judgment more suitable to be made by the placated or petitioned being than given a blanket treatment by a supplement writer. Feeders on dark emotions might reward decisions under duress equally or more generously than the virtuous unsolicited martyrdom that would impress a more paternalistic, moral divinity.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mind control, monster hunters, ritual path magic, sacrifice