Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #621
Blackseasofinfinity

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

OK, OK, to ignore the awkward silence after that post, and to keep people up-to-date about the ninja boner uppercuts, here's the link to the original site that started the legendary ninja dispute:

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

To my knowledge, it's a guy acting like a 12-year-old kid who gets "pumped up" about thinking of ninjas. It's comedy gold.
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #622
Wicked Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
TK Shield (-50%): DR 20 (Can't Wear Armor, -40%; Force Field, +20%; Requires magic words, -10%; Protects at half strength against energy attacks, -10%; Turns off when unconscious, -10%) [50]
Notes: By chanting a meditative spell for focus, you can create a shield that will protect you and your belongings from harm. However, it's protection stops when you get knocked out, and it only provides DR 10 against energy attacks. You also can't wear armor, so this is your first and primary line of defense. 50 points.
Submitted by Rev_Pee_Kitty.
Did you (or actually Rev. Pee Kitty) have a reason in mind as to why you can't wear armor with this power? I can't come up with any on the spot..
Wicked Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #623
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lurker
Did you (or actually Rev. Pee Kitty) have a reason in mind as to why you can't wear armor with this power? I can't come up with any on the spot..
Powers p46 on Force Fields:
Add Can’t Wear Armor (-40%) if this repels anything that gets close to the body, and Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators (-30%) if it prevents picking things up.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #624
Wicked Lurker

Ok- But that would mean that anyone using a power with the "cannot wear armor" limitation would have to be naked.. no?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #625
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Ok- But that would mean that anyone using a power with the "cannot wear armor" limitation would have to be naked.. no?
Nope, regular clothes don't provide DR, so, they aren't considered armor. Even if your leather duster happens to provide a point of DR, I think most GMs would shrug and say, "Meh, leather dusters and forcefields. High five for style!"
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #626
Wicked Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Nope, regular clothes don't provide DR, so, they aren't considered armor. Even if your leather duster happens to provide a point of DR, I think most GMs would shrug and say, "Meh, leather dusters and forcefields. High five for style!"
..which would then be a pure GM decision- it will be hard to define what counts as armor and what doesn't without providing a reason behind the limitation.

If you say: can't wear armor because metal blocks your magic it would be "can't wear metal armor" for instance because he still could wear kevlar or some nanofiber-material.

Of if you grow spiked chitin-plates all over your body any clothing would hinder you.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #627
Fnordianslip

Quote:
..which would then be a pure GM decision- it will be hard to define what counts as armor and what doesn't without providing a reason behind the limitation.

If you say: can't wear armor because metal blocks your magic it would be "can't wear metal armor" for instance because he still could wear kevlar or some nanofiber-material.

Of if you grow spiked chitin-plates all over your body any clothing would hinder you.
How is it hard to define what armor is? If it had DR, and you wear it, it's armor. My example was simply to point out that style overrules rules in my games. In the strictest sense, you would be limited to skin tight clothing in the case of a force field that repelled things. Usually however, can't wear armor is more of a GM pact than a physical limitation. You could make armor that would fit anything from a giant robot to a spiney chitinous guy. Can't wear armor means that you WON'T wear additional armor, even when you could easily form a rational as to why it is possible.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #628
Wicked Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
How is it hard to define what armor is? If it had DR, and you wear it, it's armor. My example was simply to point out that style overrules rules in my games. In the strictest sense, you would be limited to skin tight clothing in the case of a force field that repelled things. Usually however, can't wear armor is more of a GM pact than a physical limitation. You could make armor that would fit anything from a giant robot to a spiney chitinous guy. Can't wear armor means that you WON'T wear additional armor, even when you could easily form a rational as to why it is possible.
Yep.. but the question still remains: whats the reason for it?
Metal absorbing magic? Thick materials blocking power-rays?

Maybe its just a matter of different gaming styles- but I always try to find some reason as to why you can't wear armor while activating such a power.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #629
trechriron

Default Submission: Protective Mind

Protective Mind (-15%/-15%)

Mind Shield 7 (Link (Resistant Stunning) (Powers must be used
together), +10%; Maximum Duration (Up to 1 minute), -65%; Reflexive, +40%) [24]; Resistant
(Stunning) (Very Common) (Immunity; Link (Mind Shield) (Powers must
be used together), +10%; Maximum Duration (Up to 1 minute), -65%; Reflexive, +40%) [26].

This ability works innately to protect the mind from both outside influences and stunning, as soon as they happen. Protective Mind automatically pulls a character out of a stunned state and allows subsequent rolls to resist psi or magic mind control at +7. It is designed to be activated when mind powers or effects target the character. It cannot be left on for continual protection. Once the ability is activated (it is a free action), it will stay on for a minute and then turn off. It requires five minutes to recharge before it can be activated again. 50 Points.

Submitted by Trentin C. Bergeron (TreChriron)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #630
trechriron

Default Submission: Plague of the Undead (Curse)

Plague of the Undead (Curse) [-80](+480%)

Enemy (The Risen Dead) (Medium-sized group (6-20 people))
(Constantly) [-80]; Infectious Attack (Raise the Dead Curse) (Always On
(effects are horribly inconvenient and/or very dangerous), -50%; Malediction
(Uses Long-Distance Modifiers), +200%; Accessibility (Only the Dead) (+2), -20%; Area
Effect (32), +250%; Cosmic: Attack with a lingering special effect), +100% [-29].

Notes: This curse, bestowed by an immensely powerful dark necromancer, plagues the victim with a sinister power. Everywhere the character goes the nearby deceased rise from the dead. These undead come in various forms from zombies to skeletons and have a driven desire to destroy anything living, especially the character! This curse can only be removed by divine intervention or by the dark necromancer himself.
-109 points
Submitted by Trentin C. Bergeron (TreChriron)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers