Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Combat Utility of Create Fire?

Though of course create fire only does 1d-1 damage for a full turn, 1d-3 for a partial turn, so against armored combatants it isn't very significant on a combat time scale.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Though of course create fire only does 1d-1 damage for a full turn, 1d-3 for a partial turn, so against armored combatants it isn't very significant on a combat time scale.
Large Area injury tends to mitigate DR somewhat, and of course Fast and/or Essential Fire can significantly up the damage.

There's also the fact that you are probably going to set their stuff on fire, which eventually includes their aketetons which means armor will no longer protect them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Large Area injury tends to mitigate DR somewhat, and of course Fast and/or Essential Fire can significantly up the damage.

There's also the fact that you are probably going to set their stuff on fire, which eventually includes their aketetons which means armor will no longer protect them.
There's no question that it will be eventually dangerous. The question is whether it's dangerous before they chop you into small pieces.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There's no question that it will be eventually dangerous. The question is whether it's dangerous before they chop you into small pieces.
Stuff can catch on fire during a combat, Fright Checks for being on fire have immediate affects, and of course if you cast Essential Fire instead of Create Fire and then follow up with Fast Fire, they will need a lot of DR to ignore it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
Bicorn

Also must not forget that being on fire is rather distracting; -2 to effective DX as per p. B434. That alone can be a more significant tactical factor than the damage.
(Incidentally, I've often wondered why the penalty is only given for DX. Surely mental tasks are also harder when distracted.)

Last edited by Bicorn; 09-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #16
FrothFrenzy

Well, the rules regarding the hex radius was quite specific in the Magic book, at least in my opinion. It didn't really give wiggle room for another interpretation, but of course I could be wrong.

Bruno, I actually found that thread via the search engine but wasn't sure if the player could ready an action to chase an enemy around for full fire effect! I'm also acquainted with the Flaming Sphere :D One of the players used it in the most recent campaign.

About the Grease and Glue combos - love them! But surely a GM can't rule that fire cancels out such spells, burning them out or whatever? Or could he?

EDIT: It seems Essential Air can also improve fire damage a bit, if only for a short while. Stacks with Essential Flame!

Last edited by FrothFrenzy; 09-16-2017 at 02:25 AM.
FrothFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:28 AM   #17
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
or you could make Essential Fire (also expensive) ... or even Essential Fire + Fast Fire. And then of course Shape Fire to chase your enemies around with it :)
Add in Essential Air for an additional +1/die
Old 09-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #18
Gnomasz

Quote:
I'd surely apply the extra fatigue described under Heat, p. B434 to Extra Effort, and if the game was a gritty one, I'd apply the rules for holding your breath and suffocation as well, if a character chooses to stay in fire because they have 5 DR. It doesn't mean that Create Fire would end a fight -- it shouldn't. But those are ways to make standing in the middle of a fire non-negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothFrenzy View Post
About the Grease and Glue combos - love them! But surely a GM can't rule that fire cancels out such spells, burning them out or whatever? Or could he?
He sure can. On the other hand, he could rule that those spells make fire burn more intensely, increasing damage. It's only fair to talk it out during character creation (or, before learning a new spell in play, to allow a Thaumatology or Research roll to know how it combos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothFrenzy View Post
3) What are the options of the enemy once and if fire starts burning from below him? Can he dodge at that moment, or move to a nearby space? Can he snuff it out?
If you mean putting it out -- I'd say GM's call, and a matter of consequence. The spell requires no fuel, but says nothing of air. I'd say it either requires air and can be put out, but also amplified with Essential Air (and uses up oxygen for breathing, if gritty), or it doesn't require any air and cannot be put out with ordinary methods, but doesn't interact with air composition in any way.

Quote:
It says that area spells extend up to four yards (EDIT: four feet -> four yards) in the air.
To be fair, I'm not sure if Create Fire is supposed to be 4 yards tall, or fall under "works differently, see description" clause. Between the "falls to the ground" and "is real fire", I'd say it's just a fire of ordinary intensity, around a yard tall. Higher flames are simply more intense, I'd say. Plus, I think Fire Cloud is supposed to be the "fill entire volume with fire" spell.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Add in Essential Air for an additional +1/die
If you can prepare an area with essential wood, the fire will last a while without fatigue cost, and do even more damage.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If they have the ability to move. It sticks around for a minute, so you can use it to control the battlefield. There is also the shape fire stunt mentioned.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote