Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-15-2018, 03:18 AM   #31
Chris Rice

Default Re: Who's going to be at Origins?

Many thanks for the report Groknard!

It's pretty much as I thought. Despite all the rules and variants discussions on these forums, Steve is going to release TFT with few, if any, changes. And that's probably a good thing.

After all, the system was played and tested enough back in the day, and good enough to keep many of us with it in one form or another for over 30 years. So why change it?

The main thing is that TFT gets a reboot and if that's popular enough then we can get all the new rules and variants and other bling we might want.

It's all good 😊😊
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #32
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Many thanks for the report Groknard!...It's pretty much as I thought. Despite all the rules and variants discussions on these forums, Steve is going to release TFT with few, if any, changes. And that's probably a good thing...The main thing is that TFT gets a reboot and if that's popular enough then we can get all the new rules and variants and other bling we might want... It's all good 😊😊
It's probably a *very* good thing; and you are right Chris, if we can get the traction and market-demand after the release of the re-edit, the sky is the limit on future offerings. And *that* would be an even better thing.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
Groknard

I definitely got the impression that there was great interest on the part of SJG on expanding the TFT line further, and discussion on how best to do that. I also got the impression that it would be almost entirely based on OUR ability to blow this Kickstarter out of the water.

We've got to make certain that we do our part to raise awareness of the KS (and the final product) outside the walls of this forum. Just as Steve has that rare second chance to fix history, we have a second chance to see this game live longer than 4 years and 10 adventures. I finally read the 2018 Stakeholders report last night. Consider this: what do you want the 2019 report to say about TFT?

As much as TFT is the product of SJG, the future of it is in our hands
Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #34
Chris Rice

Absolutely. Spread the word! If you’re on any game forums or have your own blogs make sure everyone knows. Whatever means you may have to spr ad the news, make sure you use it. We need to make this big!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #35
JLV

I couldn't agree more. One of the more encouraging things I remember about the Ogre: Designer's Edition Kickstarter is that a LOT of people in the comments wrote in asking if he would ever do something similar with The Fantasy Trip -- at the time, of course (2012 or so), he didn't own copyright and had to say there was no chance, but even then, in a completely different game environment (tactical armored combat, versus fantasy role-playing) there was a lot of interest out there!

We need to help spread the word, and not just among FRPG groups!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #36
Chris Rice

As an example of "spreading the net wide", Marco Arnuado (aka Marcowargamer) has made very positive reviews of the Dark City games programmed adventures (which are basically TFT). These are well followed on boardgamegeek and Marco has over 15k subscribers on his YouTube channel.

If we can get people like that to show some love or make a preview video that will go a long way towards massively raising the profile of the Kickstarter.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #37
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
As an example of "spreading the net wide", Marco Arnuado (aka Marcowargamer) has made very positive reviews of the Dark City games programmed adventures (which are basically TFT). These are well followed on boardgamegeek and Marco has over 15k subscribers on his YouTube channel.

If we can get people like that to show some love or make a preview video that will go a long way towards massively raising the profile of the Kickstarter.
Great point. He and Dice Tower are probably the two online reviewers I check most frequently. Marco is a great influencer in my purchases. Definitely need to reach out to these types of sites/people.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #38
JLV

Well, I suppose we should then... I wonder what the odds are of asking Steve Jackson Games to send some review copies out to them? I'm completely in the dark about what SJG's policy on such a thing might be, but I know other companies do so...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #39
GlennDoren

Pretty sure they sent review copies of the new Munchkin card game to Dice Tower when it came out.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #40
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

So, two demos happened, one scheduled and one un-, and I got to show off the ugly box of pre-prototype stuff to a few interviewers.

(If I have typed this before, please forgive me - it's very tired here right now, and tomorrow will be another day of the same. I THINK that I merely thought about what I wanted to tell you, and didn't get around to writing, but I'm honestly not sure.)

First demo was heavy on the roleplaying, and great fun to referee as, well, as a referee. One combatant survived in a 2v2 battle.

The next demo, the scheduled one, was 3v3, and the players got heavily into tactics. It was also a lot of fun to referee, this time with my designer hat on. Two survived on the winning side; none, of course, on the losing side.

Some images from those games will be posted, if indeed they have not been already - I know a lot of things are going into the Twitter stream.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote