Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Qhaysh

Default [RPM] magically-granted Compartmentalized Mind

Hail, o Hivemind!

I come to you for help. I'm preparing a medieval Monster Hunters mini-campaign, and one of my players is making a witch character. Now, the problem is he wants to have a spell that grants his character Compartmentalized Mind. What he wants to do is use his "normal" mental compartment for spellcasting, while having the other compartment control his body to attack and do stuff.

To me it sounds like using magic to become better at magic because he's eliminating the "opportunity cost" of executing other actions.

What do you think? Does it really violate the "magic can't make you better at magic" rule or am I being to fussy about this?

Thank you in advance for the input! :)
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] magically-granted Compartmentalized Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhaysh View Post
Hail, o Hivemind!

I come to you for help. I'm preparing a medieval Monster Hunters mini-campaign, and one of my players is making a witch character. Now, the problem is he wants to have a spell that grants his character Compartmentalized Mind. What he wants to do is use his "normal" mental compartment for spellcasting, while having the other compartment control his body to attack and do stuff.

To me it sounds like using magic to become better at magic because he's eliminating the "opportunity cost" of executing other actions.

What do you think? Does it really violate the "magic can't make you better at magic" rule or am I being to fussy about this?

Thank you in advance for the input! :)
If he uses his regular maneuver to cast spells and the granted compartment to do purely mental, non-magical actions then he's fine. Compartmentalized Mind doesn't give another action - it gives another mental maneuver. You'd need Altered Time Rate to get a whole other action.

Also, I wouldn't sweat the Altered Time Rate ritual - it's at a minimum 300 energy (100 for Altered Traits and x3 for a Greater Effect). If he can cast that spell - let 'em.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Qhaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If he uses his regular maneuver to cast spells and the granted compartment to do purely mental, non-magical actions then he's fine. Compartmentalized Mind doesn't give another action - it gives another mental maneuver. You'd need Altered Time Rate to get a whole other action.
That was my reasoning and preliminary answer. I said he could Evaluate and Gather Energy in the same turn, but not Attack and Gather Energy. Glad to know my first guess was more or less acceptable ^^

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't sweat the Altered Time Rate ritual - it's at a minimum 300 energy (100 for Altered Traits and x3 for a Greater Effect). If he can cast that spell - let 'em.
Yeah, so he considered going this route, and I hadn't given him a definitive answers on it, but what you're saying sounds very reasonable.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That was my reasoning and preliminary answer. I said he could Evaluate and Gather Energy in the same turn, but not Attack and Gather Energy. Glad to know my first guess was more or less acceptable ^^

Yeah, so he considered going this route, and I hadn't given him a definitive answers on it, but what you're saying sounds very reasonable.

Thanks!
Sure. Seriously, 300 energy is a LOT of skill to do without it quirking (except for bad rolls). Let the PCs be awesome. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Qhaysh

Quote:
Sure. Seriously, 300 energy is a LOT of skill to do without it quirking (except for bad rolls). Let the PCs be awesome. :-)
He intends to do it by summoning demons and using spirit-assisted casting, which just makes it that much more fun. MWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Kalzazz

300 energy is also about the same level of energy needed for a quickie jaunt to the moon!

Moon Shot
Greater Create Crossroads[6]();
Range: Normal: 500,000,000 yds [50],
Speed: 500,000,000 yds/second [50],
Area Of Effect: 3 yds radius [2],
Duration: 1 hour [3].
Cost: 333
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
T

Thanks!
I go at this kind of thing from another direction. What do the mechanics represent? What fits with a medieval witch's understanding of the world and how the mind? As best as I can see, to do something like that, wouldn't you have to summon a spirit to run your body while your own does some serious thinking?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Qhaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I go at this kind of thing from another direction. What do the mechanics represent? What fits with a medieval witch's understanding of the world and how the mind? As best as I can see, to do something like that, wouldn't you have to summon a spirit to run your body while your own does some serious thinking?
Because this is not supposed to be serious game, I'm not going full Ars Magica with the whole medieval mataphysical paradigm. I just want it to be a lot of evil monster-hacking fun :)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Gedrin

IMC (standard magic), for characters with the proper background or training, I allow:

Compartmentalized Mind (Spell Slinging) 5pts: If a character has a spell at 15+ (not requiring physical gestures), he may cast the spell, while taking a physical action for that spell.

In practical terms, this turns Round 1 Cast, Round 2 throw, into Round 1:Cast & Throw for 1 round missile spells and jets.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, ritual path magic, rpm