Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
jamesfoxbr

Default [RPM] Some questions for my campaign

Hello!
I like the RPM magic system and I'm thinking about use in a new campaign instead the basic magic system, but I have some questions:

1) Is there any way to make the spell cast more quick like the basic magic system without use of charms?

2) Is there any way to use one skill roll instead many accumulation rolls without use the Quick-and-Dirty Rituals and Charms option?

3) Is there any option for use something like Mana Points like the Fatigue and Energy Reserve?

I wish find options to make it more suitable for high heroic fantasy with spellcaster using in combat without need conditional rituals or charms.
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [RPM] Some questions for my campaign

1. Adepts can gather energy every 5 seconds; 4 points into a leveled Perk makes this full skill every second.

2. Nope. Well, unless you have enough Voluntary Sacrifice, or some sort of RPM-specific Powerstone, which would need to be created at a net loss of energy to fit within the rules of RPM.

3. Mana Points just sounds like an Energy Reserve to me. Different name, same function.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Varyon

1) Allowing a character to burn 1 FP or 1 ER to get a "free" (takes no time) gathering roll probably wouldn't break anything - characters will be able to cast rapidly by burning through their resources. You'll need to play around a bit with it to see exactly what the FP/ER to free gatherings exchange should be, and the option may only be available to (or give a better exchange for) those with Ritual Adept.
EDIT: Note this will need to still follow the "-1 for every third gathering" rule, as otherwise it will break the system.

2) Quick-and-Dirty is the optimal way to decrease the number of rolls needed for gathering and casting. For characters with skill above 10, it approximately assumes a roll of 10 on each gathering attempt, so if you'd like to combine it with the above, your first 2 gatherings get you (Skill-10) energy each, your next 3 get you (Skill-11) each, the next 3 get you (Skill-12) each, and so forth.

3) I fail to see a difference between your suggested Mana Points and Energy Reserve (Magical). EDIT: Perhaps you could elaborate?

Last edited by Varyon; 01-22-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
Hello!
I like the RPM magic system and I'm thinking about use in a new campaign instead the basic magic system, but I have some questions:

1) Is there any way to make the spell cast more quick like the basic magic system without use of charms?
Yes. I strongly recommend that anyone looking for more RPM goodies grab Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic. It's basically an RPM supplement, and includes among other things a Speed-Casting technique which can be purchased for any given spell.

For a more extreme take, like if you wanted to speed up all spells, the GM could allow every mage to take Natural Caster 4 (Accessibility, Only to offset reduced time penalties, -50%) [30]. When combined with Ritual Adept, that effectively lets you make one gathering roll per second.

Quote:
2) Is there any way to use one skill roll instead many accumulation rolls without use the Quick-and-Dirty Rituals and Charms option?
In the existing system? Definitely not. You may want to consider some of the variant systems that Christopher Rice did in Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, though. Among other things, there's an "effect-shaping" version of RPM that dispenses with the concept of accumulated energy completely.

Quote:
3) Is there any option for use something like Mana Points like the Fatigue and Energy Reserve?
Yes. The trait Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) is described on p. 5 of RPM.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
dfinlay

If you want to speed up the rolling, have a computer in front of you when you are gaming and know a little bit of scripting, you could write a script that does all the rolls in an automated fashion and tells you how long it took, how many quirks were produced and if you got a botch. I have one, but since I didn't write it and I don't know if the person who did would be fine with it being posted on the forums, I'm not going to do so.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
If you want to speed up the rolling, have a computer in front of you when you are gaming and know a little bit of scripting, you could write a script that does all the rolls in an automated fashion and tells you how long it took, how many quirks were produced and if you got a botch. I have one, but since I didn't write it and I don't know if the person who did would be fine with it being posted on the forums, I'm not going to do so.
This web app does exactly what is being described above: enter your effective skill, how much energy you are trying to gather, and how many gather attempts it takes to get a -1 to skill (default is 3), and it does all the rolls for you and shows you how many quirks you got:

https://gurps-monsterhunters.appspot...Gather&cost=-1
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, ritual path magic