Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Questions - Mana Enhancer, Stacking Dispel, Spell Chains, Item Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
I went back and reread the book, and your right it would need a craft check, this is my mistake. I am going to rule that, for the example if you want a Luxury Car at TL 8 ($30,000), you can either use;

Greater Create Matter followed by an Engineering (automobile)-8 check to make it correctly
Or
Lesser Create Matter followed by an Engineer (automobile) -4 (create a metal chunk with rubber wheels that looks like a car) and then a Lesser Transform Matter with no check to turn it into a car.

The first one requires a single casting with a high energy cost and a very difficult Engineering check, while the second one requires two prepared spells, but has an easier check and much lower energy cost for both spells.
Cool! Let us know how it works - I'm always keen to see variations of the system (especially ones I've not tried myself - and I've tried a LOT). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
As do I, a linear $X for Y CP has always been a problem IMO because I do not see five 10 point traits as being worth the same as a single 50 point trait most of the time.

I do like (CP^2)*(% of starting wealth) as it is easy, every time you double the CP of the item you quadruple the price. Just have to choose that % of starting wealth. I decided to go with a more complicated option after what Ghostdancer pointed out, I want 1-5pt items to common, 10-20pt to be uncommon, 50pt ones to be rare and 100+pt ones to be Legendary.
Keep in mind that if you are allowing people to purchase the same traits you can buy with magical items you're going to get people buying those traits as personal abilities that can't be stolen rather than enchanted knickknacks.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Questions - Mana Enhancer, Stacking Dispel, Spell Chains, Item Cost

I haven't actually tried to use RPM items for sale yet, I've pretty much said 'All enchanted items are Magic Magic', and banned RPM enchanting stone cold. I like the idea of Metatronic Generators actually, but, I just haven't really gotten into it as Magic Magic items seem to work fine, and I already have hacked together pricing rules for Magic Magic items which are based on throwing a huge pile of setting assumptions into an Excel spreadsheet and using Solver and calling it a day
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic