Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM] Ritual Path Magic Style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Alternately, for more combative wizards who do intend to hit people with their staff: Perk (Charmstaff). An RPM caster with this perk can inscribe runes or sigils on a staff and use them as the base for charms. Possibly each charm that could be stored that way requires a separate perk, or maybe the Charmstaff perk allows you to store any ritual you have Ritual Mastery for in your staff, up to the usual charm limits. I'm not sure which is better.
You could do it with RAW. Ritual #1 cast this spell when I strike someone in anger.
Ritual #2 Cast this spell when I strike the ground with my staff, very hard.
Ritual #3 Cast this spell at whom I point when I hold my staff and say "Smite thee!"
Or take a que from the above and tie each ritual to a string or other item you pull off your staff. You could even have a notched staff with several indented rings to tie a charm knot on. Just make sure you remember the order.

However another way would be to create an additional set of Conditional Rituals. The last issue hints at more possibilities under suggested limitations.
One idea would be to use Symbol Drawing, similar to Alchemy or even simpler just carve a desired symbol and apply the conditional spell to it wich is activated when you touch it, possibly also requiring you speak a word for added safety.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Oh, and here's just a little Style-Talents-and-Paths schematic:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

And here's my work-in-progress for defining styles based on that. Currently only Perks have been picked (skills are derived from talents with minor changes):
Spoiler:  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tdRBz_fnw/edit

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 04-29-2014 at 06:43 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
However, since RPMists really need at least 1 hand free to draw and deploy Charms, this doesn't work as well
The Akimbo Perk is meant to be used when dual wielding, but I see no reason it wouldn't be appropriate when simply wielding a two-handed weapon. It allows you to do lots of stuff that requires a hand "hands-free," like opening doors and reloading. That would allow you to draw Charms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Since I am enamored with Manasabres I am most interested in coming up with a Magic and Manasabres RPM Style
However you do it, unless you allow manasabres to act as staves by default, you'll want to include the Object Channel Perk.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
dataweaver

Very rough sketch:

Reality Hacking
Do you think that’s air you’re breathing?
— Morpheus, The Matrix
Reality Hacking is a style of RPM that’s a product of the computer age. It views reality as being composed primarily of information which can be hacked. It specializes in manipulation of information technologies such as data storage and communication channels, but is not limited to such: given appropriately detailed simulations and the Laws of Sympathy, even elements of the physical world can be hacked. The energy accumulation process collects abstract information pertaining to the desired Effects and builds a model of what the cybermancer wants to change, strengthening the mystical ties between the model and the thing being modeled. When sufficient “energy” (that is, data) has been accumulated, the hacker tweaks the model and forces the thing modeled to conform to the changes.

Empowering Trait: Magery (Ritual Path)
Core Skill: Computer Hacking
Sacred Space: rather than the age of the site providing a bonus, available processing power (i.e., computer Complexity) determines the Sacred Space bonus of a cybermancer. Ritual Adepts don’t require computerized Ritual Space; but they still benefit from it.
Paths and Books: Path of Mind, Path of Energy; Book of Data.
Perks: Stabilizing Skill (Mathematics)

Suggestions welcome.

UPDATE: incorporated advice through #36.

Last edited by dataweaver; 04-29-2014 at 10:40 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #15
dataweaver

Other Styles I’m considering: diplomancy (which is centered around fae-like geases) and clerical magic.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Very rough sketch:

Reality Hacking
Do you think that’s air you’re breathing?
— Morpheus, The Matrix
Reality Hacking is a style of RPM that’s a product of the computer age. It views reality as being composed primarily of information which can be hacked. It specializes in manipulation of information technologies such as data storage and communication channels, but is not limited to such: given appropriately detailed simulations and the Laws of Sympathy, even elements of the physical world can be hacked. The energy accumulation process collects abstract information pertaining to the desired Effects and builds a model of what the cybermancer wants to change, strengthening the mystical ties between the model and the thing being modeled. When sufficient “energy” (that is, data) has been accumulated, the hacker tweaks the model and forces the thing modeled to conform to the changes.

Sacred Space: rather than the age of the site providing a bonus, available processing power (i.e., computer Complexity) determines the Sacred Space bonus of a cybermancer. Ritual Adepts don’t require computerized Ritual Space; but they still benefit from it.
Paths: Energy, Magic?

Suggestions welcome.
Path of Mind would make sense, as the brain is a computer, just composed of wetware instead of hardware. I could also see Path of Chance working, but with that description and enough thought, any Path could be justified.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Very rough sketch:

Paths: Energy, Magic?

Suggestions welcome.
I would go with Mind for creating AIs and manipulating them.
Chance for randomness of data, good for searches and hacking passwords.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
dataweaver

Default Re: [RPM] Ritual Path Magic Styles?

Right. At a minimum, Path of Mind, with a Perk (or Advantage? Zero-Point Feature?) that lets you use Mind to do Mind-like things (alter perceptions, mess with memory, influence decision-making, translate languages, etc.) to digital devices rather than people. So: Paths of Energy and Mind. Not the only things they can do by a long shot; but it covers a lot of what makes them special.

Optional specialties would be Digital for the Path of Mind and Electronics for the Path of Energy (though that’s something of a misnomer, as it would also include radio signals: theoretically, any energy flow that has been modulated in such a way as to carry information). Possibly allow for a sort of Expert Skill (but VH rather than H) that combines those specialties and other similar ones from other Paths into a new, hybrid Path.

Note that GURPS Technomancer is a great source of inspiration for cybermancer rituals.

Last edited by dataweaver; 04-29-2014 at 12:28 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Right. At a minimum, Path of Mind, with a Perk (or Advantage? Zero-Point Feature?) that lets you use Mind to do Mind-like things (alter perceptions, mess with memory, influence decision-making, translate languages, etc.) to digital devices rather than people. So: Paths of Energy and Mind. Not the only things they can do by a long shot; but it covers a lot of what makes them special.
Eh, there's already precedent for affecting computers with Mind on RPM40.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #20
dataweaver

There is? Where? The only thing I see there that’s close is “Computerized Ally”, which uses Control Energy and Create Mind to awaken a computer. Arguably, the Path of Mind has more to do with “awakening” than with “the computer”.

Tags
magical styles, ritual path magic, rpm, rpm styles