Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #71
starslayer

Default Re: Social implications of RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
This is kind of my wheelhouse genre-wise, I've got two campaigns that are basically "Urban Fantasy Mysteries." That said, I use Criminology or Forensics with a required specialization of "Occult." Both have the Occultism skill as a prerequisite and Forensics (Occult) requires Thaumatology. Reading "spectral remains" and the like in the "aether" still requires a spell (Greater Sense Magic + Lesser Control Magic) that won't contaminate the area. But with a successful Forensics roll you can tell how long ago it was cast, who cast it (if you're familiar with them or you come across the same "scent" again), what it was supposed to do, etc. I applied a -1 penalty per 5 days that has past if it was cast using the adept times or 5 hours if using the non-adept times. Attempts to cover their tracks can add further penalties. Multiple spells cast in the area muddy the "atheric waters" and stack, but also include a further -1 penalty per caster. Other penalties are as assigned by the GM. That's just for magical evidence, if they've actually left physical evidence (charms, traditional trappings, grimoires, etc.) that's a whole other roll.
That's a really cool idea. I think I would want to expand it for making big spells easier to detect and smaller spells harder. So I would perhaps go with standard range penalties in seconds, but provide a bonus to the roll equal to the cost of the spell. So a 200 energy spell car on the last day is easy to detect even with a dozen tiny spells missing the waters.

Epic spells would even reach backwards in time giving of indicators that they may be cat if no one does anything to stop it. This preventing the I get 1000 of my loyal followers to give until death for my destroy the world spell, or at least making an adventure hook it if each such spell.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #72
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
That's a really cool idea. I think I would want to expand it for making big spells easier to detect and smaller spells harder. So I would perhaps go with standard range penalties in seconds, but provide a bonus to the roll equal to the cost of the spell. So a 200 energy spell car on the last day is easy to detect even with a dozen tiny spells missing the waters.

Epic spells would even reach backwards in time giving of indicators that they may be cat if no one does anything to stop it. This preventing the I get 1000 of my loyal followers to give until death for my destroy the world spell, or at least making an adventure hook it if each such spell.
I'm probably going to revamp the whole thing for my campaign since part of its focus is going to be on this kind of stuff.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #73
VulpesFulva

Ultimately, there should be a way for a mundane cop to at least find the "dots" if not be able to connect them.

~~~
"Huh, that's weird, what's a box of sidewalk chalk doing here , of all places?"

"Maybe the Vic has a granddaughter..."

"I don't think so. How many grannies do you know that would be able to pull off wearing that outfit? I'm beginning to think a couple of our 'rest home psych ward' residents aren't as crazy as they sound..."
VulpesFulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #74
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpesFulva View Post
Ultimately, there should be a way for a mundane cop to at least find the "dots" if not be able to connect them.

~~~
"Huh, that's weird, what's a box of sidewalk chalk doing here , of all places?"

"Maybe the Vic has a granddaughter..."

"I don't think so. How many grannies do you know that would be able to pull off wearing that outfit? I'm beginning to think a couple of our 'rest home psych ward' residents aren't as crazy as they sound..."
Occult specialties default to the regular skill at -4.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm