Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
ajardoor

Default Re: [RPM] Your Grimoires

No, not an entire Path. Just the rituals within, like standard RAW Grimoires - the only rule change is that collections can substitute the shared Path requirement for skill prerequisites or required disadvantages.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Kalzazz

My favorite caster totally wants the +2 Grimoire of All now

I personally have no issues with collections not having the same path if are somehow thematically linked or related
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #13
ajardoor

Hey, I've thought of a title for a Grimoire, but not what its content and ritual/s would be. Ideas?

The title is: Sensible Planning, Reasonable Tommorow.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
starslayer

This has previously shown up in my games as a McGuffin, but I like to make my McGuffin's actually useful bits in any of themselves, if somewhat problematic to possess for long periods.

The Awesenomicon:
+10 Planar Summons (Greater create crossroads, lesser move body)
+10 Planar Ward (lesser control body- lets you create a ward that summoned planar entities cannot cross)
+10 Summon Castle (Greater create matter, bonus to skill +10 architecture [one roll only, single skill])
+5 create feast (greater create matter, only for food, only if it is a massive feast)
+5 Furnish castle (greater create matter, bonus of +5 to applicable craft skill [one roll only, single skill])

The remaining 80 pages contain a detailed and always up to date index of planar entities, their physical measurements, particular talents that they have, and a few notes about how to break/dominate them and/or notes like 'will happily perform <task/act> in exchange for being allowed to be free'.

Possessing the book grants one level of magery, unaging, and the perks 'limitless glottony' and 'limitless hedonism' which allows the possessor of the book to eat as much as they like without ever getting full and indulge whatever pleasure they want without over getting overstimulated (other side effects apply normally).

Touching the book after the previous owner has died causes the person who has touched it to 'possess' it. It will provide no bonuses as a grimore or otherwise to someone who is not the possessor, but the book is readable to all and they can see what it WOULD provide were the current owner to expire. It has a notably bloody history as a result.

The book obviously has a sordid and bloody history- no one knows who originally wrote it; if they wrote it for themselves and its sheer power started it down its path of constantly changing hands, or if it was written with nefarious intent in mind; perhaps as a secret weapon to take out a king/leader/upstart.

Last edited by starslayer; 07-09-2015 at 08:15 PM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Hey, I've thought of a title for a Grimoire, but not what its content and ritual/s would be. Ideas?

The title is: Sensible Planning, Reasonable Tommorow.
All long term effect spells that are lesser effects over large areas.

Lesser create/control chance for better weather
Lesser control body for better crops
Lesser strengthen body for better animals
Lesser destroy body for less pests/vermin
Lesser strengthen matter for better storage of crops
Lesser strengthen body/destroy matter for clearing earth with animals (you never hit any stones, the animals don't tire as easily, earth moves easier)

Basically exactly what you'd want the 'village wizard' to have on his shelf. Dozens of examples exist with the spells in the +1 to +2 range. Particularly powerful copies can be found in oasis sitting in the middle of deserts, dust bowls, mountains or frozen tundra- but these more powerful books also have portions that detail how to make magical plant guardians, which will still be protecting those lost oasis.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grimoires, ritual path magic, rpm