Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #151
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Misc Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Probably just in time for me to ask if any one has ever thought of using the familiarity rules for RPM rituals :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhaysh View Post
I'm planning a Magical Academy campaign set in my homebrew fantasy setting, featuring a heavily modified version of RPM. And I also chose to use a familiarity-based system for spells. I just took the information I had and extrapolated the following chart:

0 hours: -2 to spell rolls
1 hour: -1 to spell rolls
8 hours: -0 to spell rolls
50 hours: +1 to spell rolls
200 hours: +2 to spell rolls

This might actually be a little harsh, but it does benefit from study-time reductions from talents.

You don't need to use my progression, though; just take the info we have (no study is -2; 8 hours is -0; and Mastery, which is +2, requires 200h, since it costs one CP) and extrapolate it to your needs.
This is good and I might steal it (with permission of course). I'd expand it a bit to include categories for rare or unknown spells (-4 or worse) and so on.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #152
Qhaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
This is good and I might steal it (with permission of course). I'd expand it a bit to include categories for rare or unknown spells (-4 or worse) and so on.
So, in my version of RPM there's a Complexity value for every spell, which acts as a malus for certain rolls. So, actually, at 0 hours of study spell rolls are at -(2 + Difficulty).

And I'd be honored to have you use my five cents :)
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #153
Qhaysh

I actually came up with a whole study system, including tests, classes, and a lot more. For greater granularity I also set 1 hour of study as 10 Study Points, which helps with differentiating the Quality of Study Sources (something I picked up from Ars Magica).
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #154
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
So, in my version of RPM there's a Complexity value for every spell, which acts as a malus for certain rolls. So, actually, at 0 hours of study spell rolls are at -(2 + Difficulty).
That's interesting. I don't know if I'd use it (you'd have to assign values to everything and that could be tiresome for some GMs) - but that is interesting.

Quote:
And I'd be honored to have you use my five cents :)
:-) Spiffy.

Quote:
I actually came up with a whole study system, including tests, classes, and a lot more. For greater granularity I also set 1 hour of study as 10 Study Points, which helps with differentiating the Quality of Study Sources (something I picked up from Ars Magica).
I did something similar to this a long ways back (it's in the Vault). I eventually abandoned it as being too fussy for use.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #155
Angle

How would you convert the metamagic feats from DND to RPM? Like for example, if you took Metamagic Mastery (Enhancement: Explosive) then you could add or subtract the Explosive Enhancement to or from any Spell you cast, while still having it qualify for the same Ritual Masteries and Grimoires it did before. So for example, if you had the afore mentioned metamagic mastery and found a grimiore with a spell called thorn bolt, that spit out a thorn that did piercing damage with a poisonous follow up, then you could go and cast an explosive version, that would send out lots of little thorns at the pont of impact, and poison anything that was damaged, while still gaining the bonus for the grimoire. If you also had Ritual Mastery for a fireball spell, you could cast it without the explosive component, in order to save energy, and still benefit from the Ritual Mastery.

I think these'd probably be magic perks, limiting you to one per 20 points in RPM skills, or per 10 points in a style.

Edit: Also, for Specific Ritual Definition, how specific should you be with enhancements to damage? It says you can vary the amount, but does that mean only damage? And how does that work for things like cyclic, which have multiple amounts to vary, E.G. both time and cycles?

Last edited by Angle; 05-17-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm