Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
BoneWolf17

Default Ritual Path Magic, The Ritual Pathening

Hey guys! First post.
I've been running a Dungeon Fantasy game for a couple of my friends as a continuation of a suuuuper old D&D 4e game we had going. We mostly just used the core books at first, but after reading up on some of the rad stuff available for GURPS, we took a look at the alternate magic systems. We've been using core so far, but we really like the looks of the alternatives. The party composition so far is:
-A coleopteran wizard (Ritual Path Magic)
-A human cleric (Divine Favor)
-A human mystic swordsman (Imbuements)
-An elf bard (Ritual Path Magic)
-A human holy warrior (Divine Favor)
So now that introductions are out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has run campaigns with Paths aside from the core 9? I'm thinking either core, the Winds of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy, or the five colors from Magic: The Gathering. How have your experiences with alternate paths of magic gone?
BoneWolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Ritual Path Magic, The Ritual Pathening

I mean to run a game using RPM using the paths as defined by the eight winds of magic from Warhammer. When I asked a question about it on the board people were very positive. You could make a wizard who uses just one path/wind of magic without any glaring holes in their capabilities compared to the source material.

I am having a slight issue with High magic and Dark magic, that is magic that is more powerful because it draws from multiple paths/winds but as that is mostly for NPCs so I'm not worried. I have a provisional rule that allows someone to roll against a second skill (ignoring the accumulated penalty) in exchange for Corruption points to power a big spell or do something that their primary skill just can't do.

Tags
alternate paths, dungeon fantasy, magic, ritual path magic, rpm