Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #21
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Weird War 2 - The Pacific Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Take a look at Louis L'Amour's Captain Jim Mayo stories (in the 4th collection of his stories) -- very Tales of the Golden Monkey style, in interwar era. Tales of the Golden Monkey (a short-lived TV series) had its charms, but doesn't hold up well on rewatching.
From what I understand, TBTB wanted it to be a kid's show, the production staff wanted to target teens/adults, and that messed up some promising starts.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
thorr-kan

Quote:
Take a look at Louis L'Amour's Captain Jim Mayo stories (in the 4th collection of his stories) -- very Tales of the Golden Monkey style, in interwar era. Tales of the Golden Monkey (a short-lived TV series) had its charms, but doesn't hold up well on rewatching.
Also collected in "West from Singapore" if you're looking for a used paperback. "Night Over the Solomons" might work, too. I haven't read that one.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Also collected in "West from Singapore" if you're looking for a used paperback. "Night Over the Solomons" might work, too. I haven't read that one.
Sounds more like military aviation.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
L.J.Steele

The discovery of the USS Indianapolis wreck site reminds me that White Wolf's were-shark splat book had some backstory about were-sharks in WWII and how they were involved in, among other things, the Indianapolis.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #25
jason taylor

Quote:
The discovery of the USS Indianapolis wreck site reminds me that White Wolf's were-shark splat book had some backstory about were-sharks in WWII and how they were involved in, among other things, the Indianapolis.
There do seem to have been a lot more shark attacks then. Personally I think it's because castaways just look more vulnerable then confident swimmers and surfers. Then too it is apparently a matter of species and some kinds of shark are just more likely to be maneaters.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
L.J.Steele

Tangential to this topic, any history buffs have anything on Admiral Yuri Stark's or Lt. Gen. Glebov's fleets that fled Vladivostok in the winter of 1922 with the remains of the White Army in Siberia. I have a few references, but not much detail.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #27
jason taylor

Quote:
Tangential to this topic, any history buffs have anything on Admiral Yuri Stark's or Lt. Gen. Glebov's fleets that fled Vladivostok in the winter of 1922 with the remains of the White Army in Siberia. I have a few references, but not much detail.
Funny I've read a lot about Whites(they were always either trying to buy back into the power game or just being recruited as some kind of merc for someone or other). But I never heard much about that.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Funny I've read a lot about Whites(they were always either trying to buy back into the power game or just being recruited as some kind of merc for someone or other). But I never heard much about that.
There's a few pages on it in Ristaino's Port of Last Resort (2001) which talks about the various refugee communities in inter-war era Shanghai.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Michele

Yuri? Won't that be Georgii Stark? I seemed to remember that he disbanded his (mainly civilian) flotilla in Manila, and it seems that's the end of it, while Glebov's was similarly disbanded (sold out) in Shangai.

http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,24771,24785

This lists passenger ships, mail boats, transports, a survey ship, ice breakers. Apparently there was at least one gunboat and a couple of minesweepers.

Glebov must have been a colorful personage in Shangai, first serving with the volunteer defense corps of the French Legation and then, apparently, collaborating with the Japanese.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #30
L.J.Steele

I found a bit more. Some of Stark's people made their way to San Francisco. If you google the army transport ship USAT Merritt, you'll find a site collecting stories of the refugees arrival in San Fran.

There's some interesting sounding folks among them, about which I've thusfar found little.

Prince Alexis Chegodaieff, officer candidate
Lieutenant General Peter Heieskanin, engineer
Captain Timothy Taracousio, aviator

Stark himself wasn't in the original group, but it appears that the Hoover Inst in San Francisco has his memoirs in its collections, so it appears he made it to the US later.