Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #81
Randyman

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurae View Post
This sounds super fun! I love combining fantasy and modern/sci-fi settings. The only thing better than bringing down a dragon is bringing down a dragon with an assault rifle.
Mine would look more like

Space Wizards
Typical dungeon fantasy tropes in a sci-fi world!
Elves specialize in biological and genetic engineering; enhancing lifespans, granting immunity to disease. Dwarves mine asteroids and live in the hollowed-out remains. Humans are rapidly spreading colonists. Orcs use cloning and cybernetics. Powerful wizards go toe-to-toe with space marines wielding railguns and power armor. Mages combine in industrial scale ceremonial magic, enchanting entire ships and powering magical doomsday devices. And of course, space dragons!
Dragonstar was very much like that, though not 100%. One of my favorites from the original D20 days.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #82
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Bonus points if they were already playing Humans vs. Zombies.
But what if they were playing LARP Of The Dead? LARPers playing LARPers who were playing LOTD when the zombies came?

(Obligatory World of World of Warcraft link)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurae View Post

Space Wizards
Typical dungeon fantasy tropes in a sci-fi world!
Elves specialize in biological and genetic engineering; enhancing lifespans, granting immunity to disease. Dwarves mine asteroids and live in the hollowed-out remains. Humans are rapidly spreading colonists. Orcs use cloning and cybernetics. Powerful wizards go toe-to-toe with space marines wielding railguns and power armor. Mages combine in industrial scale ceremonial magic, enchanting entire ships and powering magical doomsday devices. And of course, space dragons!
Oddly enough, I find myself attracted to the first half your setting rather than the second. The mages just felt wrong for some incredibly weird reason.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #84
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Oddly enough, I find myself attracted to the first half your setting rather than the second. The mages just felt wrong for some incredibly weird reason.
They could just be called mages with all the cultural spookiness that comes with that. Kind of like the technomages from B5.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #85
Mercurae

Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. I thought about a sci-fi setting where everything is just metaphors for the fantasy version (races = aliens and dragons = Big Bad ships) but I also like the science! vs magic side. If I were to actually run a game in that setting I would replace ^ with magic. The only way to control gravity or travel FTL is if you have mages on hand but you can shoot crazy railguns and have antimatter bombs without them. I don't know how I would incorporate other stuff though. Throwing a fireball doesn't seem all that useful when you can throw a grenade.
Mercurae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #86
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, you can use engineers with the trapping of wizards. That's different from the classic wizard brought to mind though. The trappings may be the same, but what the wizard can do is different. I can certainly see that fitting better.

I've seen a few places where FTL=Magic -> FTL requires wizards. If I used the magic FTL idea I'd probably be using different wizards than your classic fantasy setup though.

---------------------------------------------

I was watching stargate:sg1 and wondering about how one would make that universe make economic sense and came up with the following:

Orbs of Power:
An alien artifact has been discovered on an archeological dig -- an orb that seems to be a source of incredible raw energy and strange phenomenon. Using it, Humanity has built a spaceship capable of defying gravity and traveling faster than light. They've even figured out how to make classical energy sheilds. But they can't duplicate the orb. Just do amazing things with it.

This is actually the state of affairs across the galaxy. Less than 100 of these orbs exist. Each of them is at the core of a fantastic ship and for the most part in the hands of haughty tyrants with various technical ability. At least of few of them have detected a new orb active, and are bent on stealing it from its unexperienced owners -- the PC's.

The PC's run the ship. At least one should be a gadgeteer who can come up with new ways to use the orb's power -- stronger shields, different weapons, teleportation, and so on. The enemy orb ships will engage not only in violence but also subterfuge and diplomacy to try and get the PC's on their side. Most Space Opera conventions should be in effect.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #87
David Johnston2

Quote:
Yeah, you can use engineers with the trapping of wizards. .
One idea I didn't include was one where civilization has collapsed due to almost everyone uploading themselves into the Big Computer that controls the world. "Priests" are the people who are authorized for access to the Big Computer because one of the uploaded personalities who still takes an interest in the world likes them. "Witches" are people who can communicate and give instruction to the still-ubiquitous nanotechnology, locally over-riding the Big Computer's orders.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:43 AM   #88
crretin

Wizards vs Aliens: simply put a high fantasy world being invaded by aliens, a story of sci fi vs fantasy while both start stealing from the other side to win the war.

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #89
crretin

Home on the strange: a planet used as a disposal for a future earth that has grown evil, cold and social darwinistic. It's where they send those who they deem weak, failed experiments and criminals. The planet however has developed over time to something that looks like a wild west type setting with a wide variety sci fi elements such as robots, aliens and various aliens. Essentially a new twist on the space western genre

Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #90
crretin

Legend of the spire: 1000 years ago a cyberpunk earth was hit by a large alien wave of energy called "The Highstorm" that caused earthquakes, wild mutations and given various people the gift of psionics. Today this earth is now a medieval culture, with psions treated like wizards, where various mutations have become almost identical to typical fantasy races and monsters, and where old technology is worshiped like gods