Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
The Colonel

Default Weird War 2 - The Pacific Theatre

Regarding "weird war 2" stuff, I notice that most of the creative effort seems centred on the European Theatre. Granted the Nazis were well known for their experimental technology and wacky occultism, but has anyone knocked out any equivalent material for Japan? Hi-tech stuff is probably a non-starter for them - Japan seems to have ended the war behind the curve on everything - but some kind of occult jobbery might be in scope.

I recall something from the Laundryverse about BLUE HADES assisting the Japanese defence of certain islands, and I suppose there are always those memetic katanas and functioning sennibari ...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Wierd War 2 - The Pacific Theatre

I haven't seen anything purpose-made, but it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt the game Kantai Collection to a Weird War II setting.

It's halfway there already - the premise is "spirits of WWII fighting ships manifest or are manifested as heavily-armed females in order to drive off an alien invasion." Just change the setting from modern-day to WWII.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Default Re: Weird War 2 - The Pacific Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Regarding "weird war 2" stuff, I notice that most of the creative effort seems centred on the European Theatre. Granted the Nazis were well known for their experimental technology and wacky occultism, but has anyone knocked out any equivalent material for Japan? Hi-tech stuff is probably a non-starter for them -
I reject! If anyone should be bringing giant robots to the table during World War II it should definitely be Japan. Even during the Sino-Japanese war and the Pacific War the Japanese had their first transforming robot in serial art (a rather comical looking thing that could change between planet, sub, tank and humanoid who fought the Chinese) and Science Warrior, a giant robot depicted in a cartoon stomping an American city Godzilla style. It's also worth remember that Tetsujin 28-Go was supposedly developed at the tail end of the war but never deployed because the war ended first. But he name translates as Iron Man 28...so clearly there were a few earlier models.

And they did do some cutting-edge biological warfare research. In a weird war context surely Doctor Ishi would be making some monsters.

Not to mention that they actually had submersible aircraft carriers. Sure they were silly impractical things that only deployed a couple of seaplanes but the idea of submersible aircraft carriers in a weird war setting has so much potential.

And just like the Germans they were wording on jet and rocket powered interceptors.

And they were trying to weaponize microwaves to produce a death ray...

Also balloon bombs but I don't see much potential there. No matter how much you dial up the weird they never start looking good.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-15-2017 at 06:06 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
L.J.Steele

One of the 1980s Godzilla movies had a proto-Godzilla on an island defending Japanese soldiers by eating Americans. Kaiju seem a natural part of a Weird War Pacific Theater.

Also, it is pre-WWII, but check out my Ellis Affair in Fate Core's Worlds In Shadow. It is surprising how little of the backstory to that adventure is fictional.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
One of the 1980s Godzilla movies had a proto-Godzilla on an island defending Japanese soldiers by eating Americans. .
That was Godzilla versus King Ghidorah in 1991.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Regarding "weird war 2" stuff, I notice that most of the creative effort seems centred on the European Theatre. Granted the Nazis were well known for their experimental technology and wacky occultism, but has anyone knocked out any equivalent material for Japan? ..
Yes, it's in Gurps: Weird War II. Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and maybe some more. Bill Stoddard came up with a whole Giant Monster Design System for the book.

It is for Gurps 3e but I wouldn't regard conversion as difficult.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
cptbutton

Now I want one of those scenarios where the battle in the jungle on some Pacific island destroys an ancient temple, which turns out to have been the prison of an eldritch horror that doesn't like either side.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Now I want one of those scenarios where the battle in the jungle on some Pacific island destroys an ancient temple, which turns out to have been the prison of an eldritch horror that doesn't like either side.
Here's a variant: it works better set in the period 1950-1970, maybe 1980, because of the age factor, but imagine a few Japanese and American soldiers, both discovered on some Pacific Island. They have no idea how the war turned out, who won, or what's been going on over the previous decades, because they've been waging their own private war against Something Bad that they managed to keep contained year after year after year...

Talk about unsung heroes...
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yes, it's in Gurps: Weird War II. Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and maybe some more. Bill Stoddard came up with a whole Giant Monster Design System for the book.

It is for Gurps 3e but I wouldn't regard conversion as difficult.
Not one I had heard of ... must check the Warehouse...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #10
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
And they did do some cutting-edge biological warfare research. In a weird war context surely Doctor Ishi would be making some monsters.
IIRC there is an AH about unit 731 developing a very efficient poison gas, which is then used to great effect first in china and later elsewhere.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote