Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
lastswann

Default Just an idea I could use some help with...

I'm running a game, small little flock of angels - a Seraphim of the Sword, A Malachite of Creation in service to War, a Mercucian of Trade, and an Ofanim of Faith. They've been assigned to keep tabs on Eli and to try and find out what he's doing... but I had the Archangel of Faith notice them and get them to help him out with a little project of his, without him actually explaining what he's doing.

So, they've been questing, trying to find faint notes in Symphony for Eli while defending him from agents of Nybbas and Kronos and doing other good works. They find the Notes and Eli just sort of smiles and, as far as any of them can tell, is creating an angel out of them. The seraphim finds out it's a Cherub, no big deal, and Eli eventually thanks them and leaves.

They've spent the past three sessions trying to find him when they get a call back to Heaven - Eli's just shown up and a meeting of the Seraphim Council has been called. Dominic is all ready to lay charges when Eli reveals the angel he's created - or, rather, re-created.

It took him some time. He needed to find echoes in the Symphony from before the Fall. He couldn't find the echoes of anyone older than himself, so he concentrated his efforts where he thought they would do the most good.

He presents Beleth to the Council - Beleth as she was before the Fall, the Archangel of Fear, while the Fallen Beleth on the other side of the Marches senses the acceptance of her Redeemed self.

Eli says he was able to do this only with the help of the player's characters, that he can re-create any Archangel that fell, though it takes time and requires almost all of his attention to do.

I'm having trouble figuring out how the Archangels and Demon Princes would respond.

A little help would be very much appreciated...
lastswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Elberon

Default Re: Just an idea I could use some help with...

I can't see anyone in Heaven worrying other than Dominic (the superiors fell once they could again) and Michael (angels being spread too thinly among too many superiors) Lawrence (distraction of heaven out looking for some missing notes and not fighting hell), in some respects I could even see Novalis too (it sort of means there is no hope of redeeming the original fallen angel)

For Hell I could see it being a major rallying bringing them 'closer' together and an escalation in their war efforts, Kronos will smile and start looking for the echo's of the fallen 'rediscovered' Archangel. Hits on Eli as soon as he is found will be dime a dozen (Lucifer will not want his un-fallen self to be found and who ever rids him of this threat would probably be in.

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Jason

I'd think Kobal would be delighted. After all, Eli is proposing recreating angels as they were before they Fell, so why wouldn't they just Fall again? The irony would be delicious. That, of course, would raise other issues, as Princes look to compete with their "old selves," but I suspect some might still look to corrupt and recruit these "clones." (Andrealphus, for sure. What could be sexier than seducing the Archangel of Love? And such a handsome fellow!)

Last edited by Jason; 04-16-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Fixed an error.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC

I see Asmodeus and Dominic on the same page on this one--this is a very bad thing. Word friction is bad enough, but having a DP with a mirror-twin? If one did something wrong, how would you distinguish him/her from his/her twin? If the friction of 'Fire' is contributing to Gabriel's madness, how crazy will the AA/DP be with not only a matching Word but a matching personality as well?

At least the conservative elements on both sides would see potential disaster with this.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
JCD

I have a problem with the idea that Eli could create an Archangel. One doesn't just create an Archangel.

I would buy that he can create an angel who has a fraction of the DP in question. This is somewhat of an intelligence asset, but is at best a 12 Force insult to the very being of the DP in question. So she will send all her Forces against this abomination, if for no other reason then to keep Asmodeous off her back.

But the above are correct.

Kobal is well thought out.

Asmodeous' horns would glow.

Kronos: "Eli is 'doing a Pollack', tossing Forces around and calling it creative. It signifies nothing in the grand scheme."

Malphas: "Make more!"

Haagenti would LOVE a bite of this angel. White or dark meat doesn't matter.

Baal: "Kill it now."

Belial: "Stuck up b**** can feel the burn of Word sharing. Or do whatever Baal wants. I'm busy burning stuff here!"

Saminga: "Do what I always want, Fool! Kill it!"

Valefor: "Neat trick stealing Beleth's Essence. Figure out how to do it so we can try it on someone else."

Vapula: "Bring me back a sample so I can examine it. Do what you want with the rest..."

Nybaas: "Drama! I love it! Everyone loves the Good Twin/Evil Twin trope! I want footage of all of this! You know what else people love? Cat fights! Make it happen!"
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Orlin

Very interesting.

Political turmoil is all well and good, but what you really want to ask yourself is what sort of story is going to be brought out of all of this? In a way, Eli's actions as you've described them were rather thoughtless, but not completely atypical for the Archangel of Creation. His masterpiece, however, may very well be Heaven's Nightmare.

To make things interesting, think of how the story might twist and turn if Blandine rejected this new "clone" of her former-lover? Whomever this thing might be, she's not Beleth. Not the real Beleth!

Now imagine the repercussions of Blandine's hostile disposition. How does this newfound "re-created" Archangel of Fear deal with the aggression of the creature she loves second only to God? Is she heartbroken? Is she desperate to prove herself? Is she infuriated?

To further press the issue, Dominic might not merely continue to press his charges against Eli for his reckless abandonment, but redouble them for his arrogance. Has Eli now declared himself God? Who but Lucifer could be so presumptuous as to CREATE a Superior? One could argue that even the Morningstar, who handed out Words as if he were vested with the power of the Seraphim council himself, has never created a Superior out of dust -- much less a copy of one who had already existed! The PC's can expect to be thoroughly interrogated by Dominic with regard to their involvement in this "clearly heretical behavior!"

How much chaos would ensue if Dominic pressed even further and demanded that this 'abomination' be destroyed? To make matters worse, how terrifying would it be if Blandine, generally ever-merciful and kind of heart, supported this decision?

What about Beleth II? Will the Archangel of fear become herself afraid? Will she meekly submit herself before the judgment of the Seraphim council? Would she throw herself at her lover's feet and claim that she would gladly be destroyed if it would mean that she could be taken back into Blandine's heart?

Or would she run?

If Dominic pushed to destroy Beleth II, Michael would vote against it. Even if he didn't agree with Beleth II's creation, he'd look for other opportunities as soon as it became clear that "heaven's jackal" had set his predatory eye upon another "innocent victim." After all, his people are fighting a war and they need all the soldiers they can get...but those reservations observed by Elberon should not go unvoiced. At the very least, they would be noted. Michael might vote to keep Beleth alive out of sheer spite for Dominic, but he'd likely treat her the same way he'd treat any newly redeemed angel: inferior and unworthy of open trust.

David will probably vote with Michael. Gabriel's response is beyond my ability to comprehend; she probably wouldn't show up and would discover this much later. Whether this causes her to sound her horn or simply pace back and forth along the edge of her volcano is really up to you.

Laurence may be torn by this, making him a potential swing-vote.

Novalis will definitely have serious reservations about Eli's actions because, as Elberon mentioned, the REAL Beleth might truly be damned for the rest of eternity because of her redeemed counterpart! What's worse, if the true Beleth seeks repentance...what happens to this creature? Does she Fall? Is she destroyed? How deeply are they connected? How much will Eli reveal? Expect Novalis to be the first to open up this line of questioning (although Dominic might do so as well.)

It's possible that Jean wouldn't want Beleth II to go anywhere until he had conducted 40 days and 40 nights worth of tests. It's also possible that Janus would frequently change his mind as new arguments were presented, fervently throwing his support toward one archangel, and then the next in a feverish whirlwind of indecision and capricious argument.

I can imagine Yves, standing silent sentry over the moot with his head held low,his lips pursed in thought, his sorrowful eyes contemplating the potential outcomes of this audacious event. If he reacts strongly, the scene should be pronounced. His should be the final word; the sort of thing that silences Dominic's argument without room for reply.

In the end, I believe that the Seraphim Council might reach a tenuous accord:

1. To detain Eli until a proper punishment can be determined.

2. To force-strip Beleth II (so that she is the equivalent of the party) until her loyalty can be completely affirmed.

Perhaps Dominic would push to destroy Eli as well? Perhaps the council needs to deliberate over whether another Archangel of Creation -- one more stable of mind! -- will be required to supplant the madman that currently holds the title?

Zadkiel would be sympathetic but firm in her stance (which I believe would be to support Novalis in any decision she would make. The force-stripping could be Novalis' idea.) Being Zadkiel, she will probably try to appeal to Blandine's sentimentality (perhaps she will ask Blandine to hold Beleth II's hand as the force-stripping is carried out?)

Whatever the case, Zadkiel will firm but fair, and like Novalis, compassionate above all else. If she conducts the force-stripping, she will do everything in her power to ensure that Beleth II does not suffer.

Zadkiel will also be the most suitable Archangel to stand goaler over Eli due to her personality and professional qualifications. Her knowledge of Heaven's defenses (and to that end, potential escape routes) would rival that of Michael's, but unlike Michael (who might arrange Eli's escape just to tick Dominic off) or Dom (who would treat Eli with such high-handedness and disdain that it would only be a matter of time before he rebelled and fled), Zadkiel would act out of respect, sincerity and maternal compassion. She would try to make Elijah understand that whatever his intentions, his actions push him into dangerously heretical territory.

In a way, Zadkiel, who possesses equal capacity for ruthlessness and motherly love, might be the most sympathetic toward Elijah...who is the embodiment of creation and destruction. She may also be the first to understand that Beleth II is, in spite of her status, tantamount to a newborn daughter who is most in need of love.

In spite of all this, Eli, being Eli, might just be crazy enough to ditch heaven once again! After all, here he goes and drops a few decades into what is, bar-none, his greatest masterpiece...and what does the Seraphim council do? They toss him in jail and take a big fat Celestial dump over all of his masterpiece!

This, in turn, would infuriate Zadkiel (who was only keeping him detained for his own good!) and leave heaven even more politically divided.

And who better to watch over Beleth II than the party, who is "directly responsible" for her creation? Imagine the degree of suffering she would endure if, after coming into creation as a Superior, she was summarily scorned by her lover, treated as a servant to those who should be her equals, stripped of several forces, and finally placed under "guard" of those who should be well-beneath her!

Will she stand for it?

If she agrees to the force-stripping, you would then have to determine Beleth II's "new" Superior. The logical decision would be to make her into a temporary servitor of Eli in service to Beleth...making her an outright recipe for tragic drama. What if Elijah does escape (in spite of Zadkiel's efforts), and the PC's are charged with finding the crazy bastard before he tries to replicate this project! Would Beleth II be prepared to betray her creator? What about your Malakite of Creation? Would Khalid's servitor have enough faith in Beleth II to regain her Superior status?

What if Laurence, desperate to keep his political balance in good standing, required the Cherub of the Sword to attune himself to Beleth II (and report the parties activities to a Servitor of Dominic!) What if Michael, knowing that his Malakite of Creation is at odds with himself, orders his servitor to sabotage any intelligence that the party delivers in regards to Eli's whereabouts? What if the Mercurian of Trade is directed to contact servitors of Jean and redistribute funds toward researching Beleth II's cosmological cellular makeup -- but without telling the party what he's doing, who he's meeting, or what sort of deals he's making?

Ontop of all this dissension, the REAL Beleth is furious! She (and likely Asmodeus) will stop at no end to destroy the creature...

...and Dominic might very well be organizing assistance.

I apologize for the somewhat long-winded, stream of consciousness rant of a post. Keep in mind that I'm coming down off of a lot of coffee and a 12-hour night shift. These are only my opinions and general assumptions, many of which may be entirely off. I am by no means an In Nomine expert, especially where Superiors are concerned. Look to those who have read over the Superiors books for the greatest advice on how to handle their reactions -- but look first to what repercussions would be best tailored to your players and your story.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Orlin, that is an EXCELLENT summary of the potential situation! No need to apologize for long-windedness when it produces something like that.

I might add one element though, that would recognize Eli's secret hopes (and, ultimately, perhaps Blandine's and Yves' as well). You see, while Eli is a bit wild, he's certainly not callous. Being an expert in Creation, he knows that the creation of a loving bond is the most delicate act of all and not one to be achieved simply by swapping out broken parts like a shade-tree mechanic. Given that, what on EARTH is he hoping to achieve by "re-creating" Beleth?

It comes down to a pair of ancient principles half-remembered by sorcerers and Cherubim alike. The Law of Contagion -- like calls to like; once together is always together. The Law of Sympathy -- like affects like; an item that resembles the original enough can have power over the original.

You see, Eli HASN'T re-created the original Beleth. Not yet. He's re-built as much of her as he can ... in hopes that it will call the original back to Heaven, where the two can be re-joined as one.

It's a move that is not entirely without risk. Yes, the two Beleths will yearn to be one and complete, but there's no guarantee that the heavenly Beleth won't go down rather than the infernal one coming up. That may depend on how much support "Good Beleth" gets from Heaven .... and if she's Force-stripped for the security of Heaven, she could wind up being sucked down the drain like a diamond ring lost in the sewer. And that Law of Sympathy ... well, the War has seen an echo of that in Word-collision; how much more friction could there between two beings who share entire lives?

In short, the new Beleth is going to need the support of all of Heaven if she is going to triumph in her personal clash and bring the COMPLETE Beleth back to Heaven. And that's Eli's real goal -- not the re-creation of an Archangel, but the re-creation of Heaven's old bonds of teamwork and togetherness, working in concert to achieve a righteous goal. In the end, that unity is the biggest advantage Heaven has over Hell. If Eli can find a way to strengthen it through a project such as this, it could change the face of the War.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
You see, Eli HASN'T re-created the original Beleth. Not yet. He's re-built as much of her as he can ... in hopes that it will call the original back to Heaven, where the two can be re-joined as one.
This fits well with how Creation has been described in canon, I think. It would take a pretty Dark, Low-Contrast campaign to suggest that Eli would create a Beleth clone from scratch just for the chance to get eons-old intel and tweak a Demon Princess's nose.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Orlin

Rocket Man, I think you discovered the perfect missing link! I also had reservations about Beleth being "re-created" in that fashion, but I didn't want to voice them, because it wasn't my story. By offering your solution, you have effectively solved the key question: Why?

Of course, Eli, being half-crazy and half genius, might conveniently "forget" to share this information with the party, making for a perfect plot-twist down the line. The hunt for the archangel might be orchestrated by him so that the PC's (and Beleth II) discover this in fragments, like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

As far as Beleth II being force-stripped for security...well, given the laws that you've mentioned, would her power reduction be mirrored in any way by the damned Beleth? If that isn't the case, you could also posit the idea that just because Beleth II had less forces, she isn't any less pure of heart -- maybe at the moment when all seems lost and the two are united (with Beleth II having apparently lost), the true Beleth will have a precious moment of clarity?

Thanks for the kudos, by the way.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

If you're going to do anything but keep Beleth II (Hteleb? Ugh, that's awful) in Heaven, you are going to need a HUGE explanation for it, very probably. Sending her to Earth -- especially if Force-stripped, but even if only a weak Archangel -- or the Marches would pretty much guarantee some nasty stuff going on.

Unless Beleth II has some kind of moderating effect on Beleth I, I would assume that the Marches would erupt into a hot-war battleground as the Djinn Princess of Nightmares expresses her extreme displeasure over something that is HERS (like, y'know, her Forces and harmonies and whatnot) being taken by someone else. With Horror-Trope Sprinkles on top. And quite possibly a lot of humans dying in their sleep or going into comas.

Beleth potentially holds a goodly chunk of humanity hostage, and she's no Impudite to lay off. If not restrained -- and would many of the Princes want to restrain her, fearing that something similar might happen to them? -- she could do some major damage to Earth.

Figuring out who restrains her, and why, would be important.

Tags
beleth, setting