Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #501
Dammann

Default Re: The 2013 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

re: "Optional Rules"
I feel empowered to regard any rule as optional in a play-pretend book I buy, even if I tend to take the advice of the editors and writers into account. The fact that Pyramid is mostly composed of optional rules doesn't in any way diminish what it includes, since we don't enter a contract to obey anyone at the table when you buy a dang rulebook. The structure of the rules is more monkeybars than cage.

Last edited by Dammann; 06-28-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #502
Mailanka

*peeks up from his Thaumatology issues of Pyramid and sets aside his Cabal project*

Right, people don't think of Pyramid as "new GURPS releases?" I can see where they're coming from, actually. I value Pyramid. It helps me a ton, though it can be kind of a pain to sift through everything sometimes, but I've been slowly compiling, for example, a personal Ultra-Tech 2. There's also some surprisingly good stuff in the old Pyramid archives, which many of you don't have (I still think they need to find a way to sell that access to newbies).

But a Pyramid article is small. It has to be. It covers a little snippet of something, like a single template for DF, or a single conversion, or a small bit of a setting. I'm eagerly awaiting the Madness Dossier and GURPS Vehicles, and while I've seen pyramid articles that are sort of a stopgap regarding the second, and the first could have been a pyramid article in its original conception (I'm amazed those six pages managed to inspire me so completely!), a more complete treatment will be well appreciated.

I think the problem isn't that there hasn't been any GURPS, it's that there's been less (we used to have one pyramid and one GURPS PDF per month. Now we just have pyramid), and that the less is necessarily more bite-sized, while we miss the more thorough treatment of things

(Also, I suspect a lot of people just don't buy Pyramid because... um... I'm sure they have a reason).
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #503
SCAR

For what it's worth I'm sorry I misrepresented Kromms post as implying Pyramid was any less 'official' than any other GURPS product.

I still can't get the Dungeon Fantasy specific distinction out of my mind, (and I don't think I'm alone it that).

The source of Kromms original quote was in response to a question as to why DF11: Power-Ups, didn't include the Justiciar or Mystic Knight; and the response includes a suggestion for getting those templates 'official' status.
I can't see how that does anything but imply that something published in Pyramid is 'less official' that something published in a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy product.
I also don't really see why there has to be a distinction, in this respect, for DF (along with Action and MH) as 'self contained lines', not to want to reference Pyramid.
I own Pyramid's 36 and 50, both of which are dedicated GURPS Dungeon Fantasy issues, both of which have more GURPS DF pages than DF4 or DF12. Why do we need the distinction that anything in those 2 Pyramid volumes is any less a part of the Dungeon Fantasy line than Sages or Ninjas?

From that distinction, however minor or specific, came my misunderstanding of how 'official' something publish in Pyramid was intended to be.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #504
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I think the problem isn't that there hasn't been any GURPS, it's that there's been less (we used to have one pyramid and one GURPS PDF per month. Now we just have pyramid), and that the less is necessarily more bite-sized, while we miss the more thorough treatment of things
Here's the list of new (not reprint) In Nomine releases over the last six years:
Here's the list of new (not reprint) In Nomine releases over the last three years:

Now, what were you saying about a lack of support for your game, again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
(Also, I suspect a lot of people just don't buy Pyramid because... um... I'm sure they have a reason).
Its lack of Munchkin, TOON, or In Nomine content, for one.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 06-28-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #505
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Looks like SJ Games is going on a break next week. I'm expecting e23 to auto-post that week's product, though, barring any glitches...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #506
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I'm expecting e23 to auto-post that week's product, though, barring any glitches...
Really? That'd be a neat trick... I wonder what it'll pick!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #507
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Hot Lead, I should think.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #508
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Looks like SJ Games is going on a break next week. I'm expecting e23 to auto-post that week's product, though, barring any glitches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Hot Lead, I should think.
sudo post e23 content

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #509
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
sudo post e23 content
sudo write vds
Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #510
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Here's the list of new (not reprint) In Nomine releases over the last six years:
Here's the list of new (not reprint) In Nomine releases over the last three years:

Now, what were you saying about a lack of support for your game, again?
I don't see how that's relevant to me. I don't play In Nomine. However, if you're bothered: Might I recommend you purchase a copy of GURPS In Nomine, convert your game to GURPS, and then you have the entire, vast library of GURPS books (and Pyramid!) at your disposal. And then you can ALSO complain about the lack of GURPS releases.

Or if we're just making pointless "Children in Africa are STARVING!" comparisons, I could point out the complete lack of support for Legends of the Wulin, Changeling: the Dreaming or Nobilis, especially in Pyramid

Tags
2013, e23, speculation