Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
David Dare

Default Charm Question

It has been made clear to me that a Wizard may Charm a monster using cards in hand or cards in play. After learning that, it prompted this questionable scenario:

Wizard is in combat against 2 monsters.

Wizard has 3 or more cards in their hand and Charms monster A.

Could Wizard then use Charm a second time on monster B granted they had enough cards in play to do so?

Edit: Whoops, I just reread the Wizard card and am pretty sure there is no chance of this being legal, and am not sure I was correct about using cards in play to Charm to begin with. This game has a way of wrapping my mind in a twist!

Last edited by David Dare; 02-01-2013 at 06:00 AM.
David Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Charm Question

Yep, good work for catching yourself in the edit. The Flight Spell discards can come from your hand or the table, but Charm Spell only discards the cards in your hand.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Jadefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dare View Post
Edit: Whoops, I just reread the Wizard card and am pretty sure there is no chance of this being legal, and am not sure I was correct about using cards in play to Charm to begin with. This game has a way of wrapping my mind in a twist!
Good call, otherwise the three card minimum wouldn't make sense. You COULD discard more than three cards in play to activate Charm even with an empty hand but why would anyone do that?
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
You COULD discard more than three cards in play to activate Charm even with an empty hand but why would anyone do that?
No, you can't. The Wizard Charm Spell is clear: you have to discard at least three cards from your hand.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
Good call, otherwise the three card minimum wouldn't make sense. You COULD discard more than three cards in play to activate Charm even with an empty hand but why would anyone do that?
Not ever. The charm spell can only be activated by discarding your entire hand (which must contain a minimum of 3 cards). Though the 3 card minimum is relatively new, the ability has never, ever, allowed for cards in play to be used to power it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Jadefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Not ever. The charm spell can only be activated by discarding your entire hand (which must contain a minimum of 3 cards). Though the 3 card minimum is relatively new, the ability has never, ever, allowed for cards in play to be used to power it.
That's right, I was just saying how ridiculous the three card minimum clause would be if you could discard from items in play. No one would ever choose to discard more than the minimum. Therefore, the discards must be from hand only.
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Blazinjsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. Okay, I gotcha. But what if I have to discard a card, do I discard from my hand? Or in play?
A. If you have to discard and it doesn't specify from where (e.g., the Wizard's charm spell) then you can choose from any of the cards you possess..
I feel like this may be some of what's causing confusion on this issue since this entry is wrong. It hasn't been updated to the new wording of the charm ability.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The wording could use improvement, but it's not wrong -- the Charm spell is (and always has been) an example of an ability that does specify a source for the discards, which is why the parenthetical falls where it does.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Blazinjsin

Fair enough. I took it to indicate that the charm spell was an example of something that didn't indicate where you discard from because of the placement.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote