Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #41
Clancy

Default Session 8b: The Countdown has began

Session 8b: The Countdown has began

“I’ll go,” volunteered Daiki. “Maybe checking out the section will give us a clue about what they might need for being fully operational.”
“Let’s go.”
“By the way,” said Kitsos, “Was the factory active when you first saw it? If he’s performing regular maintenance, would you really think it has to be performed constantly? Or did just happen to coincide with our arrival? Or . . ? Be careful out there.”
“Yes, be careful out there,” said Richard, “by the laws of the genre, Laskaris will be the one to survive.”
“...but will carry a dragon to Earth inside my body, for the sequel,” added Kitsos morbidly. Somehow it produced the impression that he was tempting Fate, and Fate might take offense.
Igor and Daiki walked up to the terminal woke it up. The screen turned on, displaying a countdown. 3:27:48.
“Woops,” said the Russian. The seconds were ticking. The rest of the screen was blank.
“I wonder if this timer was set up by the Chinese, or by CSAF?” said Daiki.
Igor started fiddling with the computer. 90s-era BIOS, unremarkable OS, 3D factory control software. The timer was just a series of images sent over a secure channel from some other computer in the net, in a rather roundabout way. Igor checked what he could about the local data. Reactor depletion at 5%, functionality nominal. Then a series of warnings: a lack of some chips required for production; severe damage of cargo holds; some cut cables; lack of communication with ClearSky satellites; severe damage of a large portion of cybershells; antivirus version almost two decades too old; lack of access to various update servers.
“The radiators are damaged,” noted Komatsu. “It wouldn’t be safe to use the full power of the reactor until the cooling systems are fully operational. Restoring comms would be a good idea too.”
The video feed with the timer was no longer broadcasting.
“Maybe it was their approach to screensavers?” said Komatsu.
“I don’t think reestablishing comms is the problem,” noted Caine. “The problem is knowing whether we should do it. No way to know what the station is going to do after that.”
“It’s already doing something,” said Daiki, “and it’s best to take it under control if we want to keep it and ourselves in once piece.”
Igor left the terminal alone for a couple of minutes, doing something else on his PDA. Kitsos’ older comment turned out to be at least half-true: the timer reappeared.
“As for taking control over the station, I think a complete exploration is still a higher priority.”
“Cherry, please ask the dragons when did that man leave the station, and what was he planning to do. And I’ll check if there were reports of finding a body.” Daiki sure sounded like an optimist with the latter comment.

Igor once again reminded about the option of assembling half the Good Will list here and now, and everyone agreed to proceed. Dumas and the Bible. A navigation textbook downloaded through the shuttle’s comm. Water. A chess program from one of the computers. Drill bits. A transceiver was available, except that it wasn’t: unmounting even a secondary transceiver from a shuttle was very strictly against regulations.

After some chatter, Cherry replied: “In ‘02; he was trying to fly Home.”
“Is it possible to ask the dragons what will happen in three hours?” asked Kitsos.
“It’s probably a joke. Jokes are best taken seriously.”
“Hmm. Maybe it’s the same sort of timer that ticked in section #7 before.”
“If it is some sort of self-destructive mechanism,” agreed Daiki, “then maybe we should try finding it. Also, this might be the reason behind the state of radiators.”
“We can either continue all the searches in the rooms,” said Richard, “or package the cake for the Mechanical Lord of the Dark Station.”
“And take a look outside too.”
Richard nodded. “Mr. Komatsu, proceed with the external recon.”
There were several service airlocks large enough for a nanosat, and so Daiki departed towards the shuttle to handle the assignment.

Meanwhile, Laskaris was searching section #6 for anything of interest. A communication centre with a carefully unmounted transceiver, but with fully-functional lights and other electric equipment. A well-kept desk. A journal of work shifts: first, three people; then only Wei, signing next to each and every shift, yet doing so strictly according to the old schedule. A formal report that the local food is terrible. Under the table, the Greek found a magnetic checker piece.

Daiki sent the shell around the station a couple of times. There wasn’t much to see. The first impression about the radiators was correct: they were indeed somewhat damaged, and neither fully extended nor hidden. Section #9 seemed undamaged, except for the blocked airlocks. And of obviously, there wasn’t any corpse hanging around the station. Fifty litres of water, thought the Duncanite - Wei could plausibly contain that fifty litres of water, back when he was alive.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #42
Clancy

Default Re: After Action Report: the Eggshell Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
I want to say how good it is to see how ThS is in action! Thanks!

Definitely one or two things I would have handled differently but that's the nature of role playing, not a criticism. :)
Thanks for your reply!

What things, specifically? I'm not very experienced GM, and those described events are long gone now; at the current moment we are definitely further down the road, so you are perfectly free and fine to criticise.

By the way, listed text isn't main plot' part still, at that moment I was just... just looking ways and paths to the style what will be the main theme of Eggshell. And fully realized WHAT and WHY I'm telling no earlier than two weeks ago from now.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
MatthewVilter

Default Re: After Action Report: the Eggshell Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
What things, specifically? I'm not very experienced GM, and those described events are long gone now; at the current moment we are definitely further down the road, so you are perfectly free and fine to criticise.
Okay but, like I said, I'm not saying you should do things differently.

The contract negotiations:

(Similar but different then Phil Masters)

Make a Law roll in secret (opposed if points in the contract are deliberately obscure). Some kind of bonus for clauses that are really dangerous. On success/victory the PCs become aware of the offending clause(s). Negotiations would be handled with a reaction roll (or not if you already know how the NPCs should react) or maybe a Merchant roll for fine tuning the pay scale. Otherwise the PCs can take the deal or walk, no getting roped into a bad contract (that they know is bad) by a failed Merchant roll.

Acceleration and Tennin:

I doubt the RAW are on my side but there is pretty much no way I would treat Tennin differently then humans for High Acceleration purposes.

Also, if I ever say "less than half a decade" just sh-...shoot me with an electrolaser! ;)
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #44
MatthewVilter

Default Re: Session 8b: The Countdown has began

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
“Yes, be careful out there,” said Richard, “by the laws of the genre, Laskaris will be the one to survive.”
“...but will carry a dragon to Earth inside my body, for the sequel,” added Kitsos morbidly. Somehow it produced the impression that he was tempting Fate, and Fate might take offense.
Igor and Daiki walked up to the terminal woke it up. The screen turned on, displaying a countdown. 3:27:48.
“Woops,” said the Russian.
Hahaha, that got a real laugh out loud out of me! :)
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, after-action report