Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Reality check: Dark Vision and Hyperspectral Vision

What if you have these two combined? The Hyperspectral Vision +3 bonus to Vision rolls and the like only applies when there is some kind of radiation (EM or even exotic kinds via Extended, Special) that you can see by via that advantage, and not when it is 100% dark to you (in which case Dark Vision applies), right)?

Or should it aply even in pure darkness if you have Dark Vision?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Reality check: Dark Vision and Hyperspectral Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
What if you have these two combined? The Hyperspectral Vision +3 bonus to Vision rolls and the like only applies when there is some kind of radiation (EM or even exotic kinds via Extended, Special) that you can see by via that advantage, and not when it is 100% dark to you (in which case Dark Vision applies), right)?

Or should it aply even in pure darkness if you have Dark Vision?
I would say doesnt apply if there is no EM though that would be pretty rare.
Darkvision just kicks in with something even more exotic
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Extrarius

Realistically, there will never be a lack of radiation, because all matter emits photos based on temperature - you'd need a universe at absolute 0 to have literally no radiation (and that is ignoring the 'background energy' that causes things like hawking radiation).
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Typically correct, though dark vision is odd enough that a version that works with hyperspectral vision seems credible.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Realistically, there will never be a lack of radiation, because all matter emits photos based on temperature - you'd need a universe at absolute 0 to have literally no radiation (and that is ignoring the 'background energy' that causes things like hawking radiation).
Yes, but I don't think you need to have zero photon emission to count as "dark." My skin is way hotter than absolute zero, and thus has an emission spectrum that includes some visible light, but if I turned off the lights I couldn't see its glow. With few enough photons you can treat something as dark. (For example, a human body emits about one visible photon per 40 seconds per square meter of surface area.)

On the other hand, a temperature a human being can survive without ultra-tech gear is not going to be cold enough to be "dark" if you can see IR. For example, a human body's peak radiant output is at 9300 nm; an object at 35°F, the bottom of the normal comfort zone, peaks around 10,500 nm. Both are in the IR. (Though the human body is around 63% brighter in total output.) So I think you'd never actually have a use for Dark Vision. Except that it would give you a weird effect where you saw the IR colors of objects and superimposed on them the sharp colorless outlines of those same obects.

Sounds like it could lead to a migraine, actually.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Woodman

Quote:
Except that it would give you a weird effect where you saw the IR colors of objects and superimposed on them the sharp colorless outlines of those same obects.
I would suspect that the body heat would only "illuminate" the immidiate surrounding and then fade off, there would be a transition from IR colors getting dimmer to the sharp edges of Dark Vision.

PS:Damn now i got started on how to get a computer into rendering such an image.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
PS:Damn now i got started on how to get a computer into rendering such an image.
Judging by how our geekier colleagues are doing selection highlights, I think using several shaders simultaneously will do.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I would suspect that the body heat would only "illuminate" the immidiate surrounding and then fade off, there would be a transition from IR colors getting dimmer to the sharp edges of Dark Vision.

Do a depth map render for Dark Vision, and then figure out how you're going to do the hyperspectral, then layer them in photoshop using probably the Overlay blend mode (but adjust blend mode to taste).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
On the other hand, a temperature a human being can survive without ultra-tech gear is not going to be cold enough to be "dark" if you can see IR.
Gyperspedtral Vision does see IR. It's IR vision plus UV Vision plus some cool stuff that leads to the +3 to Vision rolls. Dark Vision really isn't worth the points if you already have Hyperspectral.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Gyperspedtral Vision does see IR. It's IR vision plus UV Vision plus some cool stuff that leads to the +3 to Vision rolls. Dark Vision really isn't worth the points if you already have Hyperspectral.
Funnily, UV + IR without the 'cool stuff' provides a net +4.

Tags
dark vision, hyperspectral vision