Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #721
kingkyler

Default Re: Member House Rules

We have made grid paper and draw our own maps. We like to put different colored xs and each one represents either a monster, trap, loot, or coin. Plus alot more. We use the cards but everything else is different.
kingkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #722
kingkyler

Default Re: Epic munchkin house rules

Erickdoe- we have dabbled in this problem too. We use a die (doesn't matter which one) and use for a multiplier. And the good thing is you can determine what means what.
kingkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #723
JeremyBear

Default Re: Team Munchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by floats09 View Post
I looked for threads regarding this and was surprised nobody has asked this.

Any suggestions for playing Team Munchkin?

We had 4 people, so 2 teams of 2...it was fun at first because you share the treasures and what not, but as soon as the players are around level 6ish, it becomes almost impossible to stop them... Both teams were just hoping to pull monsters from the deck to beat.

A few possibilities.

A. All monster levels are doubled
B. Maybe the Epic Munchkin rules where you have to draw 2 face-up door cards on turn
C. Don't play Team Munchkin. ;)
I came up with some Team Munchkin rules. I only came up with them very recently. It's kinda sloppy but I think it's understandable. Like I said, I devised this very recently; so please reply to this if you feel it needs rebalancing. I haven't even tested this out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Team Munchkin Special Rules:
Special:
Max players, 8. Max teams, 4. Max players per team, 3.

Setup:
Each player gets 3 of each card, the player clockwise to the dealer begins the game.

Turn phases:
0 Listen at the Door:
Before doing anything else this turn, you may listen at the door, draw a face-down door card which you may play or not. Then arrange cards and proceed normally.

1 Knock Down Door:
One of the players on the team knocks down the door, whoever does this takes the curse if there is one; if it is a monster, it’s level gains a bonus equal to the level of the highest-level player on a team.

2 Loot the Room and Look for Trouble:
The player that didn’t act already may Loot the Room or Look for Trouble. Instead of drawing a face-down door card for Looting the Room, draw a face-down treasure card.

3 Search another Dungeon:
If you didn’t look for trouble previously, skip this phase; if else, have a team member draw another door card. Unlike knocking down the door, you decide who will fight the monster after it is drawn. If it is a monster, fight it. (Only the players who initially kicked down the door go up levels.) If it is a curse, it applies to the munchkin(s) who got it and your turn immediately goes to charity. If it is anything else, the turn immediately goes to charity. (You may search another dungeon if all of your team members have abandoned you.)

4 Charity:
A team may have a maximum of 6 cards in their hands at once. If they have more than 6 cards, they must give the excess cards to the team with the lowest highest-leveled player. If your team has this, then just discard the excess.

Cards:
In Hand:
Cards in hand may be shared between team members. (Keep in mind, they still may not be traded between foes from your hand, you still must only trade via the table!)

In Play:
Cards in play still may not be returned to your hand, but you may let team members borrow (which slightly alter the rules of putting an item back into your hand), take, or trade items.

Borrowing:
When a team member is borrowing an item, they put it in their hand; they, however, may not put this item into play, they may only give it back to the player who gave it to them to borrow; it is now the borrowees choice whether it goes back into his hand or back into play. You may only give one item to borrow per turn, and the Munchkin you give it to may only hold one of your Munchkin’s items unless he/she is a Dwarf.

Taking:
When a team member takes an item, it goes immediately into play. Each team member may only take one item per turn and give one item per turn.

Trading:
Trading is just what it sounds like, although you may trade from your hands, if you want.

Monsters:
Both players in a team may fight a monster together if they want to, only the players fighting gain levels (you must decide if you are both fighting the monster before the door is kicked down, otherwise; you both are fighting the monster by default); when Munchkins search another dungeon and find a monster, only the Munchkins that initially kicked down the door go up levels. Monsters that say “2 Lvls” still only grant 1 level.

Running Away:
If you must run away from a monster, only the players fighting must run away. If two players are fighting, then either both of them must run away, or you can sacrifice one player for the other’s immediate escape. Players that fail running away must suffer bad stuff.

Winning:
For a team to win, both players must reach level 10.

Death:
If a munchkin dies, instead of other munchkins looting the body, his/her partner(s) do. When the Munchkin that died comes to, he/she does what a usual dead Munchkin would do.

Treachery and Return-Treachery:
When a munchkin is in a dungeon with a team member and one escapes whilst the other suffers the bad stuff, this is considered Treachery. When a player commits treachery, the player that suffered the treachery is obligated to take a card from the treacherer, this is Return-Treachery, unlike regular treachery, this may not be countered with a return.

Switching Teams:
Players are obligated to switch teams, but only after one full turn-cycle has been made. It is completely legal to bribe players to join your team. (It’s Munchkin, why wouldn’t it?!)

Betrayal:
When a player is switching teams, he/she may roll the die, if it lands a 6, the player from his/her previous team of his/her choice goes down a level.

Epic Team Munchkins:
Do not be confused, this is not exactly like being an Epic Munchkin, think of it more like an Epic Team-Munchkin. You become an Epic Team-Munchkin when you reach level 10. At this point you do not go up levels from defeating monsters, playing “Go Up a Level” cards, or any other method. When somebody on your team becomes Team Epic, they may only go down levels via curses and anything else that’s not monster-related. If a munchkin is Team Epic, they may not Listen at the Door. Epic Steeds exist. Epic Class and Race bonuses exist.
This is a bit redundant, but everyone on a team must be Team Epic before winning the game.

If you feel edits are necessary, click the link above and comment on my work.

Last edited by JeremyBear; 01-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.
JeremyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #724
boston1322

1. When a Munchkin is in combat, he may not voluntarily change his race, class, faction, etc. for any reason (like trying to avoid penalties during combat). If a Munchkin is hit with a curse, he may not discard any active race/class/faction/etc. to avoid the curse.

2. Kneepads of Allure are used as a one-shot.

3. We do not turn inventory cards sideways. Instead, we each have a top row of cards for equipped items, hirelings/steeds, and race/class/faction/etc. cards. Then we each have another row of cards (just below the other) for inventory items.

4. Any card like Big Joe (which can switch between Hireling and Steed) cannot swap to avoid a curse card. For example, "kill the hireling" kills Big Joe if he is a hireling when it is played. He cannot swap over to a Steed to avoid the curse. The card that requires the low die rollers Steed to be eaten by the party, would kill off Big Joe as well. He cannot swap to hireling to avoid being eaten.
This is consistent with rule 1 above. When any curse/combat event occurs, Minchkins are locked in to their current status until the event is resolved.
boston1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #725
Crimson Kartoffel

We play with three/four of each class and race in the deck. We don't play with "holding" cards. Up until recently, we could have as many cards in our hands as we wanted. This changed with too many "dog pile" endings. We can now hold 7 cards (8 if you are a dwarf.) We took out a couple of "lose your best item" curses from the deck.
Im still working on a pvp munchkin way to play. Like, literally munchkin fighting with munchkin. Thinking that will have to do with zombie cards or wandering monster cards.
Edit: And now I am incorporating using super munchkin/ half breeds with two cards of a single race/class. For instance, a warrior+warrior can discard twice as many times to a total of +6. Unfortunately, the dwarf and centaurbl are getting the short end of the stick. We are fixing that by having double dwarves hold another card in their hand and centaurs can wear another pair of shoes.

Last edited by Crimson Kartoffel; 07-08-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Crimson Kartoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #726
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston1322 View Post
If a Munchkin is hit with a curse, he may not discard any active race/class/faction/etc. to avoid the curse.

[...]

Any card like Big Joe (which can switch between Hireling and Steed) cannot swap to avoid a curse card. For example, "kill the hireling" kills Big Joe if he is a hireling when it is played. He cannot swap over to a Steed to avoid the curse.
This isn't a house rule; it's the actual rule. When a Curse is played, you have to resolve the Curse as your character currently stands (unless you are able to play a Wishing Ring or have some other card that explicitly lets you dodge a Curse).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #727
Argendauss

I believe, if I ever play a blended deck with NBC, I'm going to make the Rides equivalent to Steeds/Vehicles rather than Allies/Hirelings/etc like the rules say. I get that USAopoly has no Steeds, but I sure do. And they're door cards like the majority of Steeds! Probably going to keep the Marvel 2: Hell Cycle as footwear even though I'd rather it be a Steed or Vehicle too.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #728
Crimson Kartoffel

Does anyone have a good method for allowing people to pick race at the beginning of the game?
I'm going to try allowing each person to discard one or two cards from their starting hand to draw a random race. (Before they can see their cards, of course.)
I also wanted to ask if anyone has an idea for a "shop."
Me and my brother are going to try a concept.
When an item is sold, it goes into a separate discard pile known as the shop. Players may then trade in items of equal or greater value to buy an item from the shop. This allows us to regain items that were sold when no one could use them. I can't tell you how many times we have gotten the short wide armor and had to sell it because none of us were a dwarf.
Items that were used, like potions, go into the normal discards.
This also helps punish players who hoard items and sell to get right up to winning range, as anyone can buy what they sold and use it against them.
Crimson Kartoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #729
ThisisDog

Been kicking around an idea for a Dungeon Board, because we never really play with Dungeons. Each square from 2 to 9 is big enough for a Dungeon card to be placed on it face down, and as the first player to reach each level settles there, the dungeon card is flipped and the effects take place for anyone on that level from there onwards, starting from the beginning of their next turn. They can escape the effects by skipping levels by playing GUAL cards, etc. It's a bit buggy and some Dungeons don't translate well to this, but it's bringing the cards into play at least. Part of the fun for me is adapting the game.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #730
Troy

Default Ultimate X-Men

As I've said in an earlier post, my family and I can't get enough of Munchkin: X-Men Edition. We've decided to graduate to Epic play... I looked into the rules for Epic Munchkin and learned that there won't be any add-ons for the Marvel themed versions of the game. That's all good! Gives me the opportunity write X-Men themed game rules! Oddly, that's something I would love to do. These have not been tested yet and are liberally cribbed from other Epic Munchkin versions. So, without further ado... Ultimate X-Men!

Ultimate Affiliations
Add this advantage to those already on the card.

X-Men: "We're the first and the best!" You may have any number of Allies.
X-Force: "Why all the pouches, you ask?" You may equip any and all gear you’re carrying. No restrictions!
X-Factor: What a tangled web we weave...Any time you suffer the effects of a trap, even one you played, you may pick up that card and return it to your hand.

Ultimate X-Men. Once you reach Level 10 your character graduates to become a full fledged member of an X-team. Now, in full command of their mutant powers, they gain access to their Ultimate Ability as determined by their Role. Unless otherwise stated, this text replaces the text on the cards.

Blaster
  • Magma (Female). Your gift is power over the very earth itself! During combat, discard your entire hand (minimum three cards) to remove one Monster from combat. This counts as a kill. However, if the monster is not by himself, and you Run Away from the others, you only get one level, and no treasure, from your kill. The Elemental Control power gives you +6 and you can never lose this power.
  • Sunspot (Male). The power of the sun in the palm of your hand! Twice per combat, you may discard a card to give +3 to either side. The Power Absorption power gives you +1 for every power in play!

Heavy Hitter
  • Warpath (Male). You are gifted with uncanny strength! Use two-handed items with one hand. The Super Strength Power gives you +6 whether you are empty-handed or not. Warpath’s Vibranium Knives can never be lost to Traps or Bad Stuff.
  • Magik (Female). You are a powerful sorceress. Whenever your flip over a Trap, or have a Trap played on you, you may discard a card in order to roll a die. On a 4 or higher, your magic protects you; cancel the Trap. If you fail, you can discard another card and try again, as many times as you have cards to discard. The Teleportation power gives you the ability to discard a card and steal one (you choose randomly) from a rival’s hand. No die roll is required. You may do this once per turn and only on your turn. The Soul Blade can never be lost to Traps or Bad Stuff.

Leader
  • Mirage (Female). Your powers of illusion are extraordinary. During combat, you may play Monster Enhancers to either side. They are discarded at the end of the combat. Whenever someone discards the Illusion card (even if it’s you), you may discard a card from your hand or that you have in play to pick it up and add it to your hand. You may do this as many times as you have cards to discard.
  • Cannonball (Male). You’re nigh-invulnerable while blastin’! You can’t lose Levels to Traps and Bad Stuff. The Flight Power gives you +4 bonus to combat, +6 if you are helping or being helped.

Strategist
  • Cypher (Male). Breaking the code! Your unique insight into any and every language gives you the upper hand. In combat, you get a +1 bonus for every vowel in the name of the Monster you’re confronting. The Heightened Senses Power means that Monsters do not get their bonuses against you for Affiliation, gender, clothing, etc.
  • Karma (Female). Your gift is telepathy and mind control. In combat, on your turn, you may discard a card from your hand and "borrow" an Ally from any other player. That Ally is yours to command during this fight but at the end of the turn, the Ally -- if she's still alive! -- returns to the player you borrowed her from. You may do this as often during your turn as you have cards to discard. The Telepathy Power enables you to discard one card from your hand to force another player to help you in combat. She cannot refuse and she gets and first pick of the treasure.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice