Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Sean_Hanaginz

Default "Big Brother"...but no Big Treasure?

Doesn't the "Big Brother" Monster Card warrant an extra treasure if killed since it includesa +5 enhancement? Every other +5 enhancement gets one extra treasure. Hey...I'm just as Munchkin as the next person...I want more treasure!...hehe
Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
MiB #3892

Default Re: "Big Brother"...but no Big Treasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Hanaginz
Doesn't the "Big Brother" Monster Card warrant an extra treasure if killed since it includesa +5 enhancement? Every other +5 enhancement gets one extra treasure. Hey...I'm just as Munchkin as the next person...I want more treasure!...hehe
I think the key here is that it's not a monster enhancer, it's a monster with a variable level. A Lvl 6 Goldfish's Big Brother wouldn't merit an additional treasure.
MiB #3892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Sean_Hanaginz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB #3892
I think the key here is that it's not a monster enhancer, it's a monster with a variable level. A Lvl 6 Goldfish's Big Brother wouldn't merit an additional treasure.
Actually, I think it would...every Level 4 and up monster grants at least 2 treasures upon defeat (levels 1 - 3 only reward 1 treasure). So, if a Level 1 Goldfish were to have a Big Brother, it would be a Level 6, enabling it to meet the "Level 4 and up" monster credentials of granting 2 treasures to the victor munchkin. I was just comparing it to a Monster Enhancer before...but to put it in your prospective, a new Big Brother monster (the least it could be is a level 6), helps support my argument that it needs to include an extra treasure...not that I'm arguing...this is just Munchkin greed talking ;-}

Last edited by Sean_Hanaginz; 11-19-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Math and Gramatic Error...Grrr Argh!
Sean_Hanaginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
MiB #3892

Quote:
Actually, I think it would...every Level 4 and up monster grants at least 2 treasures upon defeat (levels 1 - 3 only reward 1 treasure). So, if a Level 1 Goldfish were to have a Big Brother, it would be a Level 6, enabling it to meet the "Level 4 and up" monster credentials of granting 2 treasures to the victor munchkin. I was just comparing it to a Monster Enhancer before...but to put it in your prospective, a new Big Brother monster (the least it could be is a level 5), helps support my argument that it needs to include an extra treasure...not that I'm arguing...this is just Munchkin greed talking ;-}
Thanks for the correction. I hadn't noticed that the level 5+ monsters all have 2 treasures. Hrm. Well then, I don't see why Big Brother wouldn't have an additional treasure. You can always just take a sharpie and edit the card. ;)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Sean_Hanaginz

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I hadn't noticed that the level 5+ monsters all have 2 treasures. Hrm. Well then, I don't see why Big Brother wouldn't have an additional treasure. You can always just take a sharpie and edit the card. ;)
I'd like to wait for an official Errata to come out before marking the card, but it does make sense. Just thought I'd post and see what others thought. I will make it known at my games...I'm sure I won't get any slack...who doesn't want more treasure for the extra effort? hehe
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
There's a very good reason: It's not written on the card. Don't tell people to mark their cards on their whim or yours, please. If the +1 Treasure was an oversight, someone with authority will say that.

As it stands, Big Brother is not a Monster Enhancer, nor does any other Treasure scale matter. What matters is what's written on the card. I will agree that it seems likely that Big Brother should possibly offer up an extra Treasure, but that's not necessarily what happens. Wait until someone who can actually say as much says so before writing on stuff with a permanent marker. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
MiB #3892

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Don't tell people to mark their cards on their whim or yours, please.
Why shouldn't people write on a card if they decide they have a good house rule they want to use? We're not talking about some kind of official tournament.

All I said was that if he feels the rule should change that he can always just mark his own card and play the game that way. After all, as long as he's having fun, that's all that matters.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Sorry, but the card is as intended. This simply creates a stronger version of the same Monster, no Treasure bump, no Level reward bump. This card's not a traditional Monster Enhancer, where we usually try to make sure there's always a Treasure bump.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Sean_Hanaginz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Sorry, but the card is as intended. This simply creates a stronger version of the same Monster, no Treasure bump, no Level reward bump. This card's not a traditional Monster Enhancer, where we usually try to make sure there's always a Treasure bump.
That's what I wanted cleared up and I understand if there was a reason the card says what is says and nothing forgotten/mistaken. I brought it up to ask because I was just curious. This will be my first game of a first edition and know Erratas have been written to correct first generation printings. I just saw a valid reason to bring it up and see what the community and Powers-That-Be thought. I'm not looking for an Errata if the card is what it is and nothing more.

Just to reiterate, I faulted in comparing it to a Monster Enhancer...it is merely a new monster. I was just comparing a Level 6 already in the game with a Level 6 Big Brother (Goldfish Level 1 +5). If the intention was to have it be a Level 6 Goldfish and keep everything including the number of treasures the same, okay. I just thought it worth mentioning to make sure that's what the intent was. But...

...for those of you who had a bigger sibling growing up, didn't they have cooler stuff than you? Weren't you a little jealous of that? Now, imagine yourself as a Level 6 Big Brother/Sister Goldfish and you had a Level 1 Brother or Sister. You have one treasure...and your little Level 1 sibling also has one treasure. Where's the logic in that? Are monsters more considerate to each other than we are to one another? Don't you think that if you were the Level 6 Goldfish Brother/Sister that you would want more than the little runt? And what little bro/sis would look up to someone if all they have is the same thing they do?
No there's no hidden issues with me...I was cleared by my psychologist months ago. ;-)