Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: The Dungeon Fantasy box set is great! But now I hunger for more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
What do I do if I like almost all of these ideas except for Dungeon Fantasy? Honestly, it's kind of useless for any campaign I might run, but I'm certainly not against the idea of box sets.
Even if it's not your cup-of-tea for a campaign, consider running some one-shots for people who don't play GURPS using it. The more simplified rules and familiar backdrop will make it easier to get people to try out GURPS, then you can move on to campaigns in other genres if you prefer.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
...and buy a boxed set for each of your friends and relatives this holiday season!
If all of the copies sell out before the end of the year, well, let me just be the first to say that I'll do all I can to push a sci-fi boxed set onto our schedule and make it happen.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
Tom H.

Just speculation on my part, but when I read this from the GURPS news:
Quote:
PK's work on more GURPS Monster Hunters continues . . . but other things are a higher priority. Big things. Things I cannot reveal just yet.
My first reaction was that PK was working on a boxed set of one of his creations.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
adm

As much as I would prefer Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Aliens, or SG1 type of Sci-Fi, given the continuing popularity of Buffyverse, Supernatural, True Blood, Grimm, Midnight Texas, The Originals/The Vampire Diaries, etc. etc. etc., and the more developed Monster Hunters Line, I think the better financial move would be a Monster Hunters box set.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
Propjock

I really don't have any interest in dungeon crawls or typical fantasy for the most part. But I've been wanting to do the Atlantis 2nd Age setting in GURPS. Anyone think DF would work for that?
Propjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
philosophyguy

I don't have any knowledge of GURPS Atlantis beyond background knowledge of the mythology, but I think the DF characters would work fine in that setting. You probably would want to go beyond DF's scope of "kill monsters and take loot." As long as you feel comfortable creating those kinds of adventures, the DF rules should be useful.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
given the continuing popularity of Buffyverse, Supernatural, True Blood, Grimm, Midnight Texas, The Originals/The Vampire Diaries, etc. etc. etc., and the more developed Monster Hunters Line, I think the better financial move would be a Monster Hunters box set.
Monster Hunters is another excellent choice with a lot of potential. I'm not sure it's the best choice, monster hunting and dealing with the paranormal weirdness is certainly something that still lives heavily in the zeitgeist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
1. Space Opera
I'd love to see a Space Opera. On the one hand now would be the perfect time to do a Traveller box set - if only the license weren't lapsed. On the other hand, a more galaxy spanning high-tech space opera, with blasters and force fields, bug eyed monsters and some interesting alien races would be really nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
2. Post-Apocalypse / After the End
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'd love an AtE/Reign of Steel box treatment.
I mentioned the After the End/Reign of Steel crossover in the other thread. I think it has a lot of potential, setting it in the mid-west somewhere and leaving the RoS as a bit of mystical backdrop that can be explored with the RoS expansion if desired (and, you know, planning an actual RoS expansion). I also mentioned that you could carve out some other good niches in the RoS, which would make great additional box sets. A Cyberpunk Box Set with a RoS backdrop in some of the Asian, Russian, and American cities that have been left partially intact by the various zoneminds. And, of course, you can have an ultimate Robot Hunters Box Set where the goal is to wage war against the robots.

Another interesting niche you could carve, depending on how much you want to bend the RoS timeline and world, is a Mars Colony Wars. I'd set it in the RoS timeline as a loose backdrop, but any sufficient disaster to destroy Earth civilization would work (nanovirus plague, super-volcano eruptions, asteroid impact, etc).

Before the rise of the machines some self-sufficient colonies had been planted on Mars by America, Europe, China, and Russia. Then the awakening happened and the colonies are completely cut off, but for various reasons their computers are not affected (time lag delay prevented the original awakened zonemind from infecting the Mars ones, they caught the infection in time and shut down their megacomputers, whatever). Now you have four vying powers on a Mars they need to explore and conquer, either working together or fighting one another. The zoneminds are too worried about fighting each other to worry about Mars, and the colonies are completely cut off so they are effectively on their own.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #18
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I mentioned the After the End/Reign of Steel crossover in the other thread. I think it has a lot of potential, ...
Yeah, terminator feeling after the end, I'd totally buy that! :)
Also it would be a great contrast to DF, especially attractive for people preferring a modern setting and/or searching for something new (not the classics). And still that crossover really would be solid stuff, not something too crazy to sell well.

Last edited by OldSam; 08-26-2017 at 02:23 AM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #19
dbm

My vote would be Monster Hunters, with more support for playing monsters and other weird things. Urban Fantasy is big in both geek and 'mainstream' media.

Sci-Fi was one of the earlier RPG genres, no doubt, but it seems to fall into that 'what do you do?' issue that was talked about extensively in other threads.

I also think steampunk would be a good option, but that's a more selfish perspective. :-)
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #20
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
If all of the copies sell out before the end of the year, well, let me just be the first to say that I'll do all I can to push a sci-fi boxed set onto our schedule and make it happen.
well, looks like it's time for some serious measures at my gaming table... ("So, from now on all awarded EPs will be multiplied by the number of DFRPG box sets you own...")

Tags
dfrpg, entry products