Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
MrBackman

Default Hyperspace for dummies

Hello
I have just posted an article about my take on the various issues regarding hyperspace travel. I have tried to explain/rationalise/handwave things said about hyperspace and hyperjumping in the traveller canon and elsewhere.

Take a look, there might be something you can use for your own campaign but be warned; it contradicts some GURPS Traveller notions such as jump masking when a star is merely blocking the path.

Anyhow, you can find the post here.

Last edited by MrBackman; 09-21-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
MrBackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
ak_aramis

Default Re: Hyperspace for dummies

Several of your decisions contradict prior and present canon; namely, the T5 playtest explicitly states all fuel for jump is consumed by the drive plant itself at jump, as did MT sources; CT and TNE sources merely imply strongly. (while many TNE fans came up with the hydrogen bubble thing...)

Further, CT, MT, and T5 state that the jump drive is in fact a form of fusion reactor; albeit it's more a module attached to the main plant than an actual plant itself, if one goes by the CT mechanics and T5 mechanics. In MT, the Jump Drive takes no external power source, but the rest of the ship does need power, and the Jump drive operates for mere minutes. JTAS 24 notes that the hydrogen is NOT required for jump, and other similar power sources can be utilized instead. DA1 Annic Nova also has a fuel-less jump drive.

Jump Dimming in CT and MT was explained: The initiation energy for jump engine function was at the very limits of the PP to produce, and all energy was needed for jump transition.

Jumpspace has been repeatedly described in canon as an undulating gray wall, 1m from the hull of the ship.

GT didn't add the blocking rules, Marc Miller did. Back in the 1980's. In a magazine article.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
MrBackman

Well, I should have mentioned that I tried to reconsile the things said about hyperspace and jumpdrives in canon in a way that made sense to me, real world or gameplay wise. Most, if not all, of my 'explanations' differ from canon, that was the reason for posting; to make sense out of the many disparate, contradictory and sometimes silly remarks from canon.

I should also have stated that canon to me stopped when Megatraveller was published. Old testament Traveller if you like.

Well, you have been doubly warned now ;)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
MrBackman

Quote:
Jump Dimming in CT and MT was explained: The initiation energy for jump engine function was at the very limits of the PP to produce, and all energy was needed for jump transition.
Am I the only one to find the above explanation silly in the extreme?

My 'explanation' tried to, in a similar vein as my 'explanation' to the 100 diameters rule, pretend that the canon explanations were in fact the layman versions told in school books and popular science articles. Along the lines of 'atoms are like miniature solar systems where the electrons orbit the nucleus like planets around a sun'.

This way I could keep the canon explanations for nonscientific players and have a more believable (to me at least) explanation for the scientifically inclined I usually have as players (ie my kids and my girlfriend).

Have the cake yet eat it too.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Mind you, the "explanation" requires us to believe that every single one of those old-time Vilani ship designers were absolute morons.

I've always gone with the idea that the explanation is folk mythology. The true reason? I've no idea.
Jump Dimming: The practice, followed by some starship pilots, of dimming the ship's interior and exterior lights before going into jump. Lights on a ship are typically dimmed for a period of about two minutes; the lights are brought back up to full strength as soon as the ship is in jumpspace.

According to an old Vilani superstition, this custom arose out of the need for most of the ship's power to be diverted into the computer and jump-drive systems, so that the jump drive could be guided into creating the jump field properly, something that has never actually been necessary and would have taken more than two minutes if it had. Non-Vilani pilots do not follow this tradition.
The above is from an article about various myths and legends of the 3rd Imperium that I'm working on.

Hans

Last edited by Hans Rancke-Madsen; 09-21-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
GT didn't add the blocking rules, Marc Miller did. Back in the 1980's. In a magazine article.
Not quite. Marc Miller says that that's what he had in mind all along, but the article doesn't actually say so. It mentions jump shadowing all right, but jump masking is not even implied, much less explicit.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Apache
On Notice

And according to the latest version of Traveller (Mongoose...is this the T5 you were referring to, Hans?) the jump fuel is used as an ablative shield of sorts, to protect the ship while it is in Jumpspace.

Also specified in MongTrav, is Jump masking (details are given) and the fact that you need a power plant of the same rating (or higher) to power the Jump drive.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
MrBackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And according to the latest version of Traveller (Mongoose...is this the T5 you were referring to, Hans?) the jump fuel is used as an ablative shield of sorts, to protect the ship while it is in Jumpspace.

Also specified in MongTrav, is Jump masking (details are given) and the fact that you need a power plant of the same rating (or higher) to power the Jump drive.
If jumpfuel is really consumed during the entire jump, how can one explain drop tanks?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
Apache
On Notice

Go read the rules and find out.

Altho drop tanks are in Book 2: High Guard.

They also don't tend to survive Jump, in MongTrav.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Boxer01

Quote:
Note: Jump dimming was invented by DGP so that the lights could go out at the appropriate moment during a shipboard murder plot. The effect drove the explanation.
Boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyperspace, intercept