Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #31
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: The GURPS Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Does wikidot support sortable tables? That might be better than having multiple pages about the same thing.
Not as far as I know.

And even if they did, I'm not sure if we could put information like that in the Skills page into a readable table format.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
These things are not indexed in the Basic Set either, so it should be included.

An example of an explicit optional rule would be Bleeding from Martial Arts. Implicit optional rules include the disadvantage limit and the 80/20 starting wealth split.
Hmmm... I am not quite sure how to categorize these.

Quote:
Specified die rolls have bazillions of examples, of course.
Such as? I am not quite sure what you mean.

Quote:
For rule acknowledged setting toggles, I'm thinking of things like in Space, choosing your FTL paradigm, or Supers your A-D level.
But how much are these actual rules instead of worldbuilding advice?

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 04-14-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #33
Jürgen Hubert

New pages:

- Creatures (Alphabetical)
- Creatures by Type
- Wildcard Skills
- Martial Arts Styles
- Vehicles by TL
- Vehicles by Type
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #34
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Hmmm... I am not quite sure how to categorize these.
What's inadequate with my proposed nomenclature?

Quote:
Such as? I am not quite sure what you mean.
Some biggies are obvious -- Hearing rolls, Reaction rolls, Vehicle/Mount control rolls, Fright checks. More interesting are little one-off rules for rolling in special cases.

Quote:
But how much are these actual rules instead of worldbuilding advice?
Pretty much all of this third category relates to settings, but nevertheless it might be useful to index them.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #35
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
What's inadequate with my proposed nomenclature?
How to describe them in the index or categorize further. How should an index entry for "80% of your starting wealth should be put into lifestyle assets" look like, and what subcategory should it be in? For that matter, what about the bleeding rules from Martial Arts - do they belong in a "Combat rules" subsection or in a "Health and Injury subsection"?

Mind you, I do think these are worth indexing, but they are also hard to index properly. It may be a good idea to find a large number of such rules first and then figure out how they should be presented.

Quote:
Some biggies are obvious -- Hearing rolls, Reaction rolls, Vehicle/Mount control rolls, Fright checks. More interesting are little one-off rules for rolling in special cases.
Reaction rolls and Fright Checks I can see, but aren't Hearing rolls Control Rolls essentially basic Attribute and Skill rolls, respectively?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #36
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Tools, Outdoor gear, Luxury items, Communication and Sensors, Basic Equipment )clothes, utilities, credit cards, ID, phones, etc)
Computers
Cyberware (or are these all advantages and disadvantages?)

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #37
shadowjack

Added a page for Quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
And here is my vision for how the Skill page should be structured.
On that note, a question to the community:

In my own GMing notes I include with skill write-ups what skill defaults that skill grants. I call 'em "skill cascades", but perhaps some phrase like "may also use as" would be better. For example:

First Aid/TL; IQ/Easy; Defaults: IQ-4, Esoteric Medicine-0, Physician-0, or Veterinary-4; Cascades: -8 Diagnosis, -11 Physician, -12 Surgery.

What are people's thoughts on including such a line in these indices? On one hand, I've found it very useful to be able to see at a glance what skills your character can fake in a pinch. On the other hand, it's extra work to cross-check, it adds more mess to the page, and I hesitate to stray from the official format for write-ups.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Added a page for Quirks.

On that note, a question to the community:

In my own GMing notes I include with skill write-ups what skill defaults that skill grants. I call 'em "skill cascades", but perhaps some phrase like "may also use as" would be better. For example:

First Aid/TL; IQ/Easy; Defaults: IQ-4, Esoteric Medicine-0, Physician-0, or Veterinary-4; Cascades: -8 Diagnosis, -11 Physician, -12 Surgery.

What are people's thoughts on including such a line in these indices? On one hand, I've found it very useful to be able to see at a glance what skills your character can fake in a pinch. On the other hand, it's extra work to cross-check, it adds more mess to the page, and I hesitate to stray from the official format for write-ups.
I'd be tempted to call the categories "defaults from" and "defaults to", myself. That doesn't make any assumptions that someone else will remember a particular person's jargon, no matter how useful that personal jargon might be.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #39
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'd be tempted to call the categories "defaults from" and "defaults to", myself. That doesn't make any assumptions that someone else will remember a particular person's jargon, no matter how useful that personal jargon might be.
Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to phrase it without needing to add a freakin' definition. :D Sometimes it's the simple things.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #40
Jürgen Hubert

The Skills Section is coming together very nicely.

Still, there is lots of stuff that needs to be added, such all those Martial Arts techniques...