Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
zuljita

Default Kiai confusion

I'm going to try to just fit all my confusion about Kiai in one place and hope that the mighty Kromm deigns to answer!

Is Kiai a ranged attack or a melee attack or something else?

If its a melee attack:
  • 1. is it capped at 9 for move and attack?
  • 2. can you rapid strike with it? (Kromm has answered yes elsewhere)
  • 3. Can I All-Out Attack and get the +4 from determined or use it twice using double?

if its a ranged attack:
  • 4. Can you use it in close combat?
  • 5. what is its bulk? (-2 seems the minimum)
  • 6. can you aim with it? What is its ACC? (I'd guess 0)
  • 7. If you can rapid strike with it (See 2 above), what other melee options can you use?

8. Does a large shield get in the way?
9. Shock only applies to DX and IQ per Exploits 55, so does it bother Kiai (HT based)?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Kiai confusion

My understanding of 'counts as an attack' is that you can use it in place of an attack in a maneuver, and if you have multiple attacks, replace only one of them. It is not, however, a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, and thus is not affected by rules specific to such weapons.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
My understanding of 'counts as an attack' is that you can use it in place of an attack in a maneuver, and if you have multiple attacks, replace only one of them. It is not, however, a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, and thus is not affected by rules specific to such weapons.
So what All out Attack options are available? How does Move and attack affect Kiai? Am I permitted to All Out attack Determined with extra attack, get +4 to my Kiai and +4 to punch a guy in the face? Further, how does that factor in with rapid strike?
Old 06-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Black Leviathan

It's less a ranged attack and more of a special attack like protection or jet abilities. It has it's own range penalties. You can take any maneuver that allows an attack and substitute the attack with the Kiai use.
I'd say because Kiai is less aim and more focus that there's no bonus for an aim maneuver and no move-and-attack penalty, no penalty for darkness as long as you can see your target, no cover penalty, more along the lines of a telepathic attack then a firing a gun.
I don't think you can take the +4 for All-out melee attacks or even the +1 for all out ranged as Kiai technically isn't either of these. I do feel like going all out should have a benefit but can't see how the rules for that maneuver would apply. I think Extra Effort makes sense for kiai but not sure how those rules would apply.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Kiai is an attack, but falls into the realm of "special attack." You can use it in place of any one standard melee or ranged attack your abilities allow. Since talking and even normal shouting is a free action, I wouldn't be too strict with penalties here . . . just apply the -1 per full two yards of distance and that's it. But to balance that, I wouldn't allow bonuses, either; e.g., nothing for All-Out Attack (Determined).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Thus, if you have Karate-17 and Kiai-13 (for definiteness), you can Rapid Strike at just -3 for TbaM and use 14 for Karate, but 13 (not 10) for Kiai. You can try an All-Out Attack (Double) at 17 with Karate and 13 with Kiai. You can make a Move and Attack at 13 with Kiai . . . but other Move and Attack drawbacks still apply, notably -2 on all rolls to avoid falling down and no retreat.

You cannot get a bonus to Kiai for All-Out Attack (Determined) or (Strong), or reduce the target's resistance via All-Out Attack (Feint).

Reach and range are only relevant inasmuch as you're at -1 per full two yards away. Thus, close combat isn't just unpenalized, but preferable. Things like footing, posture, and shields are irrelevant; they're DX penalties of a sort, and Kiai is HT-based. I can't see why mud, kneeling, or holding a plank in your hand would make you shout less strongly. Kiai is closer to a spell in function, and spells don't have those penalties.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
zuljita

Thank you for the thoroughness of your reply. It answers a lot of questions we were having.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
ArchonShiva

One more question, which just came up in play: Can you Kiai in any direction? Are Kiai to the side hexes wild swings?