Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #131
kirbwarrior

Default Re: What are the best magical systems in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I wouldn't call it “the best” per se; I just like the principles on which it's built, even if they were poorly executed.
To be fair, this is basically how I'd describe any magic system in GURPS, or even roleplaying in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Tell you what - quick, whip up a reasonable NPC mage using the magic system of choice, with all the spells ready to roll for interactions with the player characters.
Hostile wizard; Fire & Ice themed. Flight (Nuisance Effect: Loud, Max Height 5ft) for 'jet-like' bursts of flame, Ice Spikes 2d (impaling, 20/100range, Acc 3, Costs 1FP/min), Steam Cloud: Obscure 10 (Costs 1fp/use, Only self, Nuisance Effect: Loud), wizard has HT12 and ER2, Magery 1, 11 attributes otherwise, Combat Reflexes, enchanted Robe with DR3 EDIT: I generally assume 14 skill for combatants unless I want it higher and 12 skill for regular skills (thus Flight-12 and IA-14)

Friendly Wizard; Payload 5 (Dimensional), Ally: Lightning Elemental (3d) Summonable Ally that is a little too trigger happy, Merchant-12, Hedgewitchery (1cp that can be in anything at any point in time, mostly used for accessory perks or to lessen defaults), IQ13

I don't need to look up points, I can just remember what things do exist in gurps and more accurately what doesn't. It also took me longer to right that up than come up with it. Plus, as is said here, this really works with psionics, supers, druids, etc;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Sorcery/Powers: means I don't have to memorize a whole 'nother system.
If I want magic to cost FP, that's a modifier. If I want magic to require training, that's a setting switch. I already have to learn one complicated power system that functions within the rules of everyone else, so this is a huge upside to me.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #132
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Honestly, the simplest magical system is probably Magic as Powers when the GM is willing to do the heavy lifting of designing abilities.
It's also probably the most versatile in terms of creating different types or genres of magic for different types of games. Whatever you want magic to be in your game it can do, as long as the Gm is willing to do a lot of heavy lifting on the front of designing not just the abilities but also what optional rules they're going to use and what methodology they're going to use for designing abilities.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #133
AlexanderHowl

Of course, as the Temporary Enhancements and Using Abilities at a Default rules are generally need for Magic as Powers to work. Of course, designing a set of abilities can be an annoying amount of work, but that is the utility of having leveled traits. For example, you could have a magical system with ten foci, ten abilities per focus, and ten levels per ability, allowing for one thousand steps of potential advancement.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, paut, ritual path magic, talisman of paut