Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2021, 12:19 AM   #11
Balor Patch

Default Re: Keep on the Borderlands

The first nine sessions of Peter's Felltower campaign (see under https://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.co...-campaign.html) were in the KotB Caves of Chaos.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:59 AM   #12
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
The first nine sessions of Peter's Felltower campaign (see under https://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.co...-campaign.html) were in the KotB Caves of Chaos.
Oh this will be super useful.

I really want to thank everyone BTW, I don't think their has been a single post that has not had something helpful to say.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #13
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
Oh this will be super useful.

I really want to thank everyone BTW, I don't think their has been a single post that has not had something helpful to say.
While it is for 250 CP characters Beneath Castle Everglory might be some help as well.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #14
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's the equivalent of a pair of fortresses staring at each other across a disputed border.

The biggest problem I see with Keep on the Borderlands is that it's intended for level 1-3, and even starting delvers are stronger than that (but don't gain power as fast). Something like a patrol of six goblins is a legit concern for level 1 PCs in original D&D.
Even a couple of enraged Bears can wreak a group of Lvl 1 to 2 Characters if caught by surprise . And this was an AD&D conversion of Keep .

We had to re-run it with 9+ Characters instead of original 5 to have solid Attack/Defense line up , that wouldn't crumple as soon as a Warrior type was incapacitated .

As mentioned the Humanoid's caves were further away in our campaign , but only about a 6 hour marches distance . There were other more powerful elements in play for the Keep's organization to focus on over the 'nuisance factor' involved .

Last edited by Racer; 01-14-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
seycyrus

Quote:
Thinking about running Keep on the Borderlands in GURPS, ...
Now that you've gotten some feedback, let me mention to you that I'd be interested in hearing what you are doing with your Gurps KoTB! Even if the feedback comes months from now.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Even a couple of enraged Bears can wreak a group of Lvl 1 to 2 Characters if caught by surprise . And this was an AD&D conversion of Keep .
To be fair 1st to 2nd level AD&D characters tended to be squishy if they weren't fighters or clerics. Magic-Users had it worst of all at low levels. They got a little better with 3.5 but they could still be killed by a common housecat (1d4 damage) at first level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
We had to re-run it with 9+ Characters instead if original 5 to have solid Attack/Defense line up , that wouldn't crumple as soon as a Warrior type was incapacitated .
Pretty much this. If anything it was worst as the party could only do a few encounters before the Cleric and Magic-User had blown through their spells. And unless they want to risk outdoor encounters it is back to the keep. Rinse and repeat ad nauseam until the party is modernly leveled.

The issue though is that as the D&D to GURPS page points out there is no real way to compare D&D class-level to GURPS points. Heck, you could argue a Average (25-50 points) GURPS wizard with only Magery 0 can do more then a even a 6th level 5e Wizard.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 AM   #17
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Now that you've gotten some feedback, let me mention to you that I'd be interested in hearing what you are doing with your Gurps KoTB! Even if the feedback comes months from now.
What exactly do you want to know?
Old 01-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #18
seycyrus

Quote:
What exactly do you want to know?
The same sort of advice that you asked for from others, and perhaps a word or two on how it worked out in your game.

What point level did you start at, and how did it go? Were there a lot of player casualties? None?

How did you handle the magic system? Were there mages carrying around 6d (or more) fireballs? If so, how did it affect the game?
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #19
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
The same sort of advice that you asked for from others, and perhaps a word or two on how it worked out in your game.

What point level did you start at, and how did it go? Were there a lot of player casualties? None?

How did you handle the magic system? Were there mages carrying around 6d (or more) fireballs? If so, how did it affect the game?
I may type up a campaign diary on it.

I am doing a ton of work on this setting all the time, I have half a mind to a good bit of it typed up into a book, and maybe a short series of gazetteers and try to pitch it to Steve Jackson as a third party product. So doing a campaign diary might be good practice.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #20
Ordo_Lyrae

If you're interested I statted up Humanoids for a DFRPG conversion of B2. The players in my game were running tuned down 150 point templates. You can find the forum thread here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=161346. B2 is such a good module always happy to hear other people are running it.
Ordo_Lyrae is offline   Reply With Quote