Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #21
MikMod

Default Re: Armored starting wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
that other rule against illusions of inanimate objects
Is there a rule against illusions of inanimate objects?
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
There is none. You can make an illusionary flaming sword if you wanted.

Illusion armor won't really protect you though.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #23
phiwum

Illusory fires are odd. They can't affect inanimate objects. If you cast the illusion in a grassy field, the grass won't burn.

But, I suppose, just as apparent injury to armor disappears when the illusion disappears, the grass might appear to burn until the illusion ends. The fire can't spread, however, since it's a one-hex (or whatever) illusion.

So-called intelligent beings are at a disadvantage with illusions. They don't get to accidentally disbelieve and in the right circumstances, they're unlikely to disbelieve to begin with. If you send in an illusion of a fighter, are the bad guys likely to spend a turn disbelieving? Just maybe one of them will, if the situation smells funny. In a labyrinth, for instance, I doubt that a ghoul will find it all that unusual to see a wandering adventurer.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #24
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
...that other rule against illusions of inanimate objects...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
No MikMod, there is not (although there are limitations) which leads me to correct what I said earlier. Not sure if I was thinking of an earlier version of the rules, a house rule, or another game entirely. Anyway, this is covered on ITL 139, with a slight mention on 138 as well. From 139:
Illusions of Inanimate Objects: An illusion of fire,wall, or shadow will behave just like the real thing until it vanishes or is disbelieved. The same is true for an illusion of a hand- held weapon or a Magic Rope. Mages theorize this is true because these few inanimate objects are so often seen as illusions that they have somehow acquired extra power. No one really knows. At any rate, most inanimate illusions are quite intangible. If you come to an illusion of a bridge, your foot will go right through it (though the bridge won’t vanish until you disbelieve).
So there we have it. The illusion of a typical spear or typical broadsword will work just like the real thing, but with the exception it's susceptible to disbelief. I wouldn't think a flaming sword would fall under that, because flaming swords aren't typical. The illusion of a bow would work, but you'd need to use a real arrow (or vice versa).

But you can't climb the illusion of a ladder, or fill an illusionary bucket with water. I suppose you could create the illusion of water inside a real bucket, but you wouldn't be able to drink it.

Then again there's that interesting bit that only says "most" inanimate illusions are intangible, giving GMs some leeway with the whole thing.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 12-24-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote