Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #541
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Nah. Having a spell go across planes is already a flat energy cost (+10, IIRC) - that should cover it. The only reason for an extra Greater Strengthen effect would be if the plane itself is warded by magic or difficult to reach by nature, somehow.
I was saying just as a way to make interplanar travel more difficult than a fairly short-range teleportation (+10 energy is the same cost as teleporting 100 yards). I didn't mean to suggest this is the way it's meant to be handled in RAW, but rather how I would handle it.

Quote:
And I wouldn't charge more for a two-way gate, since one-way gates are more secure.
Creating a two-way gate means creating... two gates. A one-way gate only needs the one, as it simply teleports you to another location. The former seems to me like it should cost more, not so much due to any function of how useful it is, but because it involves created a gate at a distance. For example, a ritual to create a one-way gate to teleport soldiers at your base camp to your current location would need to pay for Range, so I don't see why one that also creates a gate that lets you go back to the base camp at the same time should cost less.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #542
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Because this is a teleportation effect, you need to add Speed equal to the distance traveled by stepping through the portal. I believe you also need to use Range rather than Area of Effect - the latter would be to alter all such portals within the AoE. Area of Effect is still appropriate if the Sense Crossroads effect shows you all of the eligible portals within the AoE so you can choose which you link (although I'd do that as a separate ritual). Greater or Lesser depends on the metaphysics of your setting, but in general I'd go with Greater - as you note, you're basically turning a mundane portal (a doorway) into a magical one (a wormhole of sorts). Because you're affecting the portals themselves, you may need to pay for Subject Weight for the actual portal, but not for what passes through it (if this were instead a Create Crossroads effect, Subject Weight would instead limit the weight of those passing through).

Note my first point means this spell may need to pay up to three (!) times for Range - once each for distance from caster to each of the portals, and once for the distance between the two portals. Personally, I'd simply add the distances together and use that to determine the Speed/Range modifier, but I'm not certain if that's the way you're supposed to do it. For example, let's say you want to use this spell to block off a 15 yard long corridor by linking the two doorways together. The closer doorway is 5 yards from you, thus the further one is 20 yards away. That's 5 yards (2 energy) to one doorway, 20 yards (6 energy) to the other doorway, and 15 yards/second (5 energy) for the distance between them. Instead of adding the energy costs together for +13 energy, I'd add the distances together, for 40 yards and +8 energy.
Hm, forgot about the speed component, that should probably be added. The three range modifiers feels a bit over the top, though.. I was meaning for the area of effect to actually affect all portals in range, so that the portal was switched to a random one for true scooby doo slapstick, and the sense effect if you wanted more actual utility from it.

Adding the range modifiers together, should the GM allow it, feels like a more fair cost. energy required for distance really adds up quickly by vanilla rules..
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #543
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
I was meaning for the area of effect to actually affect all portals in range, so that the portal was switched to a random one for true scooby doo slapstick, and the sense effect if you wanted more actual utility from it.
I think that would work fine. The Sense effect will probably just tell you where each portal actually leads to at this moment; adding in a Control effect might allow you to dictate this at will, although that might be reaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
Adding the range modifiers together, should the GM allow it, feels like a more fair cost. energy required for distance really adds up quickly by vanilla rules..
I actually decided to send PK (the author of RPM, if you were unaware) a PM about this, and here was his response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon
This was recently brought up in the RPM Ritual thread, but when a ritual has multiple Speed and/or Range components to it, would it be appropriate to add the actual Speed/Range values (in yards) together first, then convert to a modifier to get energy cost, or should the energy cost of each be added together? The example in the thread is for creating two connected gates, say with one 5 yards from the caster and the other 25 yards from the caster (with 20 yards between them). That's 5 yards Range for one gate, 25 yards Range for the other, and 20 yards/second Speed for teleporting between them. Should this be 8 energy (for 50 yards) or 15 energy (2 energy for 5 yards, 7 energy for 25 yards, 6 energy for 20 yards/second)?
By the strict rules, it would be 15 energy. That said, it would be very reasonable for the GM to combine values when they're intricately tied together. Personally, I would always do Range and Speed separately under all circumstances, though.
Of course, there's nothing forcing you to go with RAW in your games (I certainly won't be), but there it is.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #544
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I think that would work fine. The Sense effect will probably just tell you where each portal actually leads to at this moment; adding in a Control effect might allow you to dictate this at will, although that might be reaching.

I actually decided to send PK (the author of RPM, if you were unaware) a PM about this, and here was his response:

Of course, there's nothing forcing you to go with RAW in your games (I certainly won't be), but there it is.
Really great stuff, thanks for the input!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #545
ajardoor

Not sure how to build this one. It's based off the proxy rituals from Unknown Armies - basically a way to make other people take the magic bullet for you.

Curse Proxy
Spell Effects:
Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Meta-Magic.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This blocking spell is cast upon another living being (undead and spirits count, for the purposes of this spell, since they can resist magic with HT or Will) within range. For the duration of this spell, you can block a spell cast directly on you (normally the spell that have resistance rolls) by rolling your effective skill/2 +3, just as if you were "parrying". A successful "parry" roll causes the spell targeting you is deflected onto Curse Proxy's subject instead - the subject of Curse Proxy must make the resistance roll and they suffer the effects of the hostile spell instead if they fail. If the Curse Proxy subject makes the resistance roll and wins the Quick Contest, the hostile spell fails as if you resisted it. The Proxy Curse subject may defend against deflected spells with any wards, Magic Resistance, or anti-magic items they have on hand.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 1 hour (3) + Meta-Magic (30). 42 energy (42x1).
ajardoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #546
Shostak

Hi, folks.
I welcome your comments on this spell, which is intended for mass combat situations or dealing with large, hostile crowds. In itself it does not deal damage or even buff much, but I think it captures the flavor of some of he magic one encounters in fiction, and that it could be the sort of maneuver that could decide a battle.

Would it be appropriate to modify the cost to account for its limitations to sight and access to an open view of the sky? Would it be fair to say that there could be mundane reactions to the illusion for those outside the area of effect who happen to see it? Or that foes in the area of effect must roll a Fright Check every additional time they look at the illusion?

Omen Caelestis
Spell Effects: Greater Create/Destroy Energy + Sense Mind + Strengthen Mind + Control Mind + Control Mind + Destroy Mind
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Bestows a Penalty.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).
This spell requires open visibility of the sky. It creates an illusion of an astronomical event overhead (300 yds), such as a solar or lunar eclipse, sundogs or moondogs, the appearance of a comet, meteor shower, a new constellation, etc. All in the area of effect are compelled to immediately glance at it. Foes who see it are mentally stunned and become frightened (including a Fright Check at -3). Those friendly or allied to the caster are granted Fearlessless 5 (B55) until the spell expires.
Typical Casting: Greater Create/Destroy Energy (5) + Sense Mind (2) + Strengthen Mind (3) + Control Mind (5) + Control Mind (5) + Destroy Mind (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Area, 100 yds (16) + Altered Traits, Fearlessness 5 (10) + Bestows a Penalty, narrow, Fright Check, −3 (4) Range, 300 yds (13). 207 energy (69×3).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #547
Shostak

Quote:
Not sure how to build this one. It's based off the proxy rituals from Unknown Armies - basically a way to make other people take the magic bullet for you.

Curse Proxy
Spell Effects:
Lesser Control Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Meta-Magic.
Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 1 hour (3) + Meta-Magic (30). 42 energy (42x1).
I am certainly not the sagest of minds with regard to RPM, but I'll offer a few thoughts, for what they are worth. This seems like an alternate spell ward, one which redirects the incoming spell instead of nullifying it. For this, I might suggest these changes: Make the beneficiary of this spell, rather than the target to which the incoming spell is redirected, be the subject. Use Lesser Sense Magic to determine if an incoming spell is hostile or not, so the ward doesn’t affect all spells--just the hostile ones. Then use Lesser Sense Mind to determine to which subject within range to redirect the incoming spell. If the ward is cast on someone other than the caster, perhaps you'd need a second range modifier--I don’t think so, but am not really sure. Given what Lesser Control Magic allows, the parrying bit as a mechanical element seems unnecessary, but the image of parrying a spell adds neat color to describe what happens if the ward succeeds. So perhaps a spell build like the following?

Curse Proxy
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic, Lesser Sense Magic, Lesser Sense Mind
Inherent Modifiers: Meta-magic
Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Magic (2) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Duration, 1 hour (3) + Meta-magic (30) + Range, 10 yds (4). 46 energy (46x1).
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #548
Apollonian

Both of these rituals are adapted from GURPS Cabal.

Planar Visit
Project caster’s mind into another Realm. “The caster projects his ka to another Realm. The caster’s senses are altered to correspond to the average plane dweller’s. If the spell ends before the caster’s ka rejoins his body, or if his body is harmed while his spirit is away, he must roll vs. HT to stay alive! The caster’s body is totally defenseless for the duration of the spell.”

Spell Effects: Greater Control Mind
Inherent Modifiers: Extradimensional Range, Speed
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Speed, 10 yards/second (4) + Duration, 3 hours (4). 69 energy. (23 x 3)

Note that this is meant to provide a rough equivalent to Astral Travel (Psionic Powers) for mages.

Plane Shift
The caster physically shifts to another Realm. If he is travelling to the Astral Plane, he appears at the spot that corresponds to his current location in the Near Astral (or vice versa if traveling from the Near Astral to the Material), or to a point in the Deep Astral specified upon casting.

Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Extradimensional Range

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Extradimensional Range (10) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 57 energy (19 x 3).
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #549
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Both of these rituals are adapted from GURPS Cabal.

Planar Visit
My thoughts on this spell here in the RPM: Astral & Planar Travel spells thread.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #550
DeathDaisy

Round Shape in Square Hole
Spell Effects: Greater Control Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Area Of Effect.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

For those that travel time for any reason, the Hounds of Tindalos are a constant threat. However, the hounds can only manifest in corners, so this spell softens any given room into more or less a sphere or dome for the duration of the spell, hindering the hounds from getting in, hopefully until the paradox that called them can be reversed or otherwise solved.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Matter (5) + Area Of Effect, 10 yards (8) + Duration, 1 hour (3) + Subject Weight, 5 tons (6). 66 energy (22×3).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology