Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
MikMod

Default Re: Summoning gems as traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
Leaving the command "Kill anyone who enters this room" in a summoning gem could be easy to be allowed.
I'm thinking that route could very quickly end up in demonic literalness territory.

"but we have ALREADY entered the room so he wont attack us"

"why are the summoned guards not attacking each other?"

etc...
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
Rolando

attack anyone who activate the trap and its companions will do.

It's just a matter of phrasing things correctly, and GM call, as demons misinterpretation is a GM call as almost anything can be misinterpreted if trying hard enough.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #13
crazycaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I think the definition of "controlling" a summoned creature is the answer here.

When a wizard (assuming they aren't good with swords), summons a myrmidon, the wizard does not tell the creature when to swing or dodge, it is the creature that does so.

This makes sense as wizards can do other things while the summoned creature is doing it's thing. How could a wizard multitask another spell while moving a summoned creature like a puppet? (although that would be a great condition for a weaker summon spell)

Since magic in Cidri is mostly psionic. Leaving the command "Kill anyone who enters this room" in a summoning gem could be easy to be allowed.
I think that makes sense, but it sounds like you're assuming the wizard will be making the gem specifically for a trap. Do you think it makes sense for someone to be able to take "normal" summoning gems and then place them in a trap and leave some kind of command at the time of setting up the trap? And if someone took the gem out of the trap and tried to use it later, does the command that was previously placed into the gem still control it?
crazycaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
I'm thinking that route could very quickly end up in demonic literalness territory.

"but we have ALREADY entered the room so he wont attack us"

"why are the summoned guards not attacking each other?"

etc...
It wouldn't because the magic is psychic in nature. It would be more than words. It would be a feeling...an understanding. The exact thought would not have to be set out in words really.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaleb View Post
I think that makes sense, but it sounds like you're assuming the wizard will be making the gem specifically for a trap. Do you think it makes sense for someone to be able to take "normal" summoning gems and then place them in a trap and leave some kind of command at the time of setting up the trap? And if someone took the gem out of the trap and tried to use it later, does the command that was previously placed into the gem still control it?
These trap gems should cost a small bit more ST to produce. And possibly time so they could not be used in a hurry. (If you wanted that option available...more ST and cost)

I would make it so it was only useable by the "author" of the original gem unless cleansed (a lengthy process).
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote