Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default Opinions Wanted re _OGRE In Space_ Movement

I'd like opinions of people who aren't me on a matter which I've been noodling for a bit:

Should _OGRE In Space_ used Vector-based Movement (for ex.: _Triplanetary_; _Star Fist_), or should it use "Star Trek"-style movement (_Star Fleet Battles_; _Silent Death_; etc.)?

Vector-based is more "realistic", and suits the "near future" vibe of the OGREverse; however, it would require either specially-coated mapsheets (so one can scribble vector lines with crayons or markers), or an extra set of counters to show where the ship "will be" next turn if it doesn't maneuver (which means effectively doubling the number of counters on the map), which will become quite complicated in a full-on "Space OGRE vs. Human battle-force" fight (try to imagine the "Mark III vs. 12 AU and 20 INF" using vectors...).

"Star Trek" movement would be far "cheaper" to accomplish, as it wouldn't require the special maps or insane numbers of counters; however, it would end up looking and playing very much like a "conventional" _OGRE_ game, which might lead players to wonder "why bother?".

So, I ask the fan base: How Do You Want To Go Today? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Opinions Wanted re _OGRE In Space_ Movement

Triplanetary-style movement, hands down. It's simple, elegant, and fun.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
wolf90

Having just read the complete "Old Guy" series of books, I've gotta go with vector movement too. I'd argue the challenge is not which system to use, but rather how can you represent the vector system with a minimum of additional material on the table?

Good luck!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Vector-based is more "realistic", and suits the "near future" vibe of the OGREverse; however, it would require [something] quite complicated in a full-on "Space OGRE vs. Human battle-force" fight (try to imagine the "Mark III vs. 12 AU and 20 INF" using vectors...).
Lego 1XN plates with a 1X1 marker might do well. Aim the plate in the right direction, move the marker for magnitude, and that records the vector. Maybe even build the spaceships from lego with a convenient place to hang the 1XN .

Ogre movement is relatively slow vs map size. How big will the movement vector get during the game? Can units that zip off the map ever return?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
ColBosch

If you use Triplanetary-style pseudo-vector movement, then you don't need anything extra beyond a dry-erase marker and a coated map.

If you're not familiar with it, here's SJ explaining things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFqtlK4uYY
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
If you use Triplanetary-style pseudo-vector movement, then you don't need anything extra beyond a dry-erase marker and a coated map.
I think the point is can you manage keeping track of the vectors _without_ markers and a coated map?

And my vote is vector movement, too.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:23 AM   #7
Macunaima

Vector movement, otherwise, why bother?

I mean, you can still get copies of Flying Buffalo’s “Berserker” essy enough and Victory Point Games “Astr Titan” is anything you coukd ever want from Ogre-in-space and it is available now. Neither use vector movement, however.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1779/berserker

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg.../astra-titanus
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'd like opinions of people who aren't me on a matter which I've been noodling for a bit:

Should _OGRE In Space_ used Vector-based Movement (for ex.: _Triplanetary_; _Star Fist_), or should it use "Star Trek"-style movement (_Star Fleet Battles_; _Silent Death_; etc.)?

Vector-based is more "realistic", and suits the "near future" vibe of the OGREverse; however, it would require either specially-coated mapsheets (so one can scribble vector lines with crayons or markers), or an extra set of counters to show where the ship "will be" next turn if it doesn't maneuver (which means effectively doubling the number of counters on the map), which will become quite complicated in a full-on "Space OGRE vs. Human battle-force" fight (try to imagine the "Mark III vs. 12 AU and 20 INF" using vectors...).

"Star Trek" movement would be far "cheaper" to accomplish, as it wouldn't require the special maps or insane numbers of counters; however, it would end up looking and playing very much like a "conventional" _OGRE_ game, which might lead players to wonder "why bother?".

So, I ask the fan base: How Do You Want To Go Today? :)
Just a thought. Use the pieces from Ticket to Ride to indicate the vector
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Mack_JB

Why do I have this image of a Mk. V lazily floating through space to the tune of the Blue Danube waltz?
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Rolando

I think vector movement is the best way of having a good feel of space battles, but with the unit count in OGRE it may be complicated. In OGRE you may play easily with 20+ counters.

With bunched up units the board may get very crowded. Even if using markers you will end with multiple vectors superimposed one over the other.

Maybe there is an alternative to vector movement without needing the vectors...

What about a minimum straight move before a change of direction. So less maneuverable spaceships must move 3 or 4 hexes before making a change while highly maneuverable spaceships can change direction after moving a single hex (and supermaneuverables can "turn in a dime").

Another way is by allowing a limited number of direction changes. Say a low maneuverability spaceship may turn once per turn, while a very maneuverable may turn 3 or 4 times.

You will lose the feel of acceleration and deceleration but maybe for some spaceships (OGREs and other capital ships maybe) you may have multiple counters like the train counter in GEV.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote