Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Riandor Na'Eris

Default Help: Compulsive Behavior (Heavy Drinker)

GURPS Mysteries has this Disadvantage in a template but I checked the whole book over and over and I could not find how much it cost. Can someone help me?
Riandor Na'Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Polydamas

Default Re: Help: Compulsive Behavior (Heavy Drinker)

I don't know if it has ever been written up, its not in the basic set. I would look to Compulsive Carousing and maybe Alcoholism for a model.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Donny Brook

I've seen and used Compulsion: [substance] Abuse as a less troublesome alternative to Addiction or Alcoholism. As such, it should be a lower point value.
Donny Brook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I've seen and used Compulsion: [substance] Abuse as a less troublesome alternative to Addiction or Alcoholism. As such, it should be a lower point value.
Let's not be too hasty... The person who can't shake a bad habit and sneaks off to guiltily get their fix has a problem. The person who seeks it out and compulsively consumes it all and goes out to buy more the next day and starts all over might be dealing with more serious physical, financial, and social ramifications. I think a compulsion could be either more or less of a disadvantage than the equivalent addiction depending on the deets!

The value is likely best determined by comparison and discussion with the GM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
Dalillama

Depends on where one draws the line between 'compulsive drinker' and 'functional alcoholic ', I expect. For my own part, I'd say my case is in the -5 range, but I have a pretty good self-control roll for it, so.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
Michele

Unless some other supplement prices it somewhere, I'd say you, as the GM, will get to define its value.

Alcoholism is -15.

Compulsive Behavior (Binge Drinking) was a GURPS WWII (3e) Disadvantage worth -10 points. A binge drinker, when plenty of alcohol is available, will drink to full incapacitation, until the following day, say; that's Drunk followed by Drowsy and finally Unconscious. One has to hope neither the sergeant nor the enemy will come calling that night.

A hard-boiled detective might want a couple of strong shots every evening. That is costly, time consuming, can create side disruptions, and will result in being Tipsy for a while; a number of minor inconveniences. And Tipsy, at times, can be really dangerous, if he's ambushed by the bad guys just outside the bar. However, the detective will usually be able to stop before getting fully Drunk.
Therefore, by comparison, I'd judge it's a -5.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 AM   #7
Riandor Na'Eris

Thanks for your answers.
Riandor Na'Eris is offline   Reply With Quote