Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
CardDiceian

Default THE FANTASY TRIP - *KickStarter Campaign* Schedule

Hi all

is there an estimated launch date for the FANTASY TRIP KickStarter -and any pre-planned, pre-launch plans in place to ensure maximum reach?
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #2
Carnifex

Default Re: THE FANTASY TRIP - *KickStarter Campaign* Schedule

The only thing anyone outside of Steve Jackson Games knows is Wizard and Melee will be released in a mini box format and cost $14.95 each.

Steve Jackson has said there will be a Kickstarter for Melee with lots of miniatures, but no details have been provided beyond that, we don't even know if that is still the plan or not.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Rick_Smith

Default *KickStarter Campaign* --> Includes miniatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Steve Jackson has said there will be a Kickstarter for Melee with lots of miniatures, but no details have been provided beyond that, we don't even know if that is still the plan or not.
Hi everyone, Carnifex.
I hope that the miniatures are something that you can optionally buy in to. I have sold all of my miniatures (I specialized at one time in Demons and weird horrors). I have no desire to spend a lot of money on miniatures that I simply will have to dispose of.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
The only thing anyone outside of Steve Jackson Games knows is Wizard and Melee will be released in a mini box format and cost $14.95 each.

Well, he DID say "sometime in 2018," so we've got that going for us! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Carnifex.
I hope that the miniatures are something that you can optionally buy in to. I have sold all of my miniatures (I specialized at one time in Demons and weird horrors). I have no desire to spend a lot of money on miniatures that I simply will have to dispose of.

Warm regards, Rick.
I am totally with Rick on this one -- I haven't the time, the inclination, or the storage space to have a lot of miniatures around. The closest I'm willing to go is the cardboard miniatures route -- because I can store them flat, and often in the same game box with the game. The Dungeon Fantasy cardboard miniatures were sweet, and just about perfect for my needs.

But I'm completely willing to forego cardboard miniatures too -- flat counters work perfectly well for this old wargamer. When the entire US 1st Armored Division is represented by a single flat counter, having one for a single guy is not too much for my imagination to encompass! ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 03-23-2018 at 12:51 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
Carnifex

Really there is no reason why we can't have both. I suspect the mini box version of the game will probably have counters. I am hoping this happens sooner rather than later. Then this summer there is no reason why SJ Games could not launch a Kickstarter to do Melee Deluxe with a nice fold out cardboard map, a couple of hand fulls of miniatures and a rule book that does not require me to use a magnifying glass to read.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Dr.Bedlam

I'm in for a republished Fantasy Trip, but I'm not sure I want or need more miniatures. Cardboard flats are great, but are these going to be cardboard or metal?
Dr.Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post

I am totally with Rick on this one -- I haven't the time, the inclination, or the storage space to have a lot of miniatures around. The closest I'm willing to go is the cardboard miniatures route -- because I can store them flat, and often in the same game box with the game. The Dungeon Fantasy cardboard miniatures were sweet, and just about perfect for my needs.

But I'm completely willing to forego cardboard miniatures too -- flat counters work perfectly well for this old wargamer. When the entire US 1st Armored Division is represented by a single flat counter, having one for a single guy is not too much for my imagination to encompass! ;-)
Yes, this.

Flat, well-illustrated (and by that I mean an artist that understands the human form, its balance, etc. lots of life drawing, in other words) counters are the best. Easy to transport, use, store, they can be just as collectible, memorable, and fascinating as some people think minis are without the outrageous expense, weight, storage problems, and lack of portability.

And most of all, minis general require enough of everything, which is a lot. There is nothing like having to substitute wolves for bears and trees for dragons to lose whatever mood hoped to be gained by trying to 3D simulate every building, artifact, animal, monster, PC, and particular NPC in an encounter, in my experience.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #8
Skarg

I've always kept my preference for TFT-style counters. They're very easy to make (especially nowadays) and store and use in play. They have ID letters/numbers, can be flipped over to indicate fallen figures, and stacked to indicate body piles, riders on horses, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:42 AM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I've always kept my preference for TFT-style counters. They're very easy to make (especially nowadays) and store and use in play. They have ID letters/numbers, can be flipped over to indicate fallen figures, and stacked to indicate body piles, riders on horses, etc.
Speaking of TFT-Style counters, I am wondering how people might feel about Hexagon-Shaped Die-Cut Counters; as opposed to the traditional square-shape?

Thoughts?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
Rick_Smith

Default Hexagon Shaped counters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Speaking of TFT-Style counters, I am wondering how people might feel about Hexagon-Shaped Die-Cut Counters; as opposed to the traditional square-shape?

Thoughts? JK
Hi everyone, Jim.
With hexagon shaped counters you can't see the terrain under the figure (you do have terrain, right?), and if the counters fit the hex, they take up more space which makes them harder to slide into position.

I wouldn't mind hexagon shaped terrain, but (having built a bunch for myself), having it a little bit smaller than a hex works better.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote