Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #531
Dammann

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

I've noticed that in the Triple Threat entries, the write ups are very similar, with a few lines added or taken away from each for genre appropriate stats or considerations. I am wondering why the TT creatures aren't more different, when written up for DF or MH or what have you. I would expect that in order to be a credible threat in MH, they'd be horrifically capable in DF and impossible for basic modern games. Is combat balance not a big consideration when you make these? Why not just roll all the needed stats into one block? Am I just missing differences between versions for the different genre treatments?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #532
Dwarf99

You might be. the DF builds specify class for Template Abilities that directly relate to Monster Class. I'm not sure fright checks are particularly relevant to Murder Hobos myself.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 10-09-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #533
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I've noticed that in the Triple Threat entries, the write ups are very similar, with a few lines added or taken away from each for genre appropriate stats or considerations. I am wondering why the TT creatures aren't more different, when written up for DF or MH or what have you. I would expect that in order to be a credible threat in MH, they'd be horrifically capable in DF and impossible for basic modern games. Is combat balance not a big consideration when you make these? Why not just roll all the needed stats into one block? Am I just missing differences between versions for the different genre treatments?
That's not entirely true. I'll keep this brief because I'm not feeling well (I caught a cold), but some monsters ARE different because certain traits must be added for certain genre's. Some must be modulated. Look at DR for example, in DF It's almost never higher than 14, because most handheld weapons do 4d or less. MH requires certain Injury Tolerance on certain beings. And so on. I've been going back and modifying some of the "Any Campaign Setting" versions to tone them down a bit (or beef them up in one case). So yeah, there is a difference.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #534
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: High Archetypes as Advantages

What if titles had power? What if they empowered you to do one thing so well that your skills and abilities were legendary and bordering (or actually are!) godlike? Not suitable for all campaigns, I create a new advantage and look at how you might be able to use it in a campaign...

Become a Patron!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #535
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That's pretty awesome! Could it be coupled with a penalty being subjected to spellcasting because your archetype makes you more readily identifiable, almost like a true name?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #536
Anders

I like it. I like it very much.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #537
SCAR

Quote:
GURPS101: High Archetypes as Advantages

What if titles had power? What if they empowered you to do one thing so well that your skills and abilities were legendary and bordering (or actually are!) godlike? Not suitable for all campaigns, I create a new advantage and look at how you might be able to use it in a campaign...
Very cool, and amazing to see how such a Narrative ability is so elegantly modelled by GURPS.
It brought to mind the Niche Protection Perk from RTT in Pyramid #3/44:Alternate GURPS II, just with the dials turned ALL the way up
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #538
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
That's pretty awesome! Could it be coupled with a penalty being subjected to spellcasting because your archetype makes you more readily identifiable, almost like a true name?
I don't see why not. I'd either build it as a leveled quirk (+1 per level to identify you) or maybe build it as a college incompetence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I like it. I like it very much.
Thanks. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Very cool, and amazing to see how such a Narrative ability is so elegantly modelled by GURPS.
It brought to mind the Niche Protection Perk from RTT in Pyramid #3/44:Alternate GURPS II, just with the dials turned ALL the way up
GURPS does narrative better than anyone realizes, it just does it in a way that's different from most "narrative" or "story" RPGs. You just got to know what bear to poke and which one to let sleep.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #539
Dammann

Quote:
snip
So yeah, there is a difference.
Ah, maybe I just wasn't reading carefully enough. Injury Tolerance would make a big difference, for example.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 AM   #540
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Ah, maybe I just wasn't reading carefully enough. Injury Tolerance would make a big difference, for example.
It's also a matter of damage dealing, damage taking, etc. I was one of the folks that playtested MH and specifically playtested the hell out of MH3 (I ran every monster in that book against multiple combinations of champions - something like 100 scenarios total) so I tend to know what a monster needs to be, well, monstrous in MH.

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs