Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #31
Anaraxes

Default Re: Affliction + Dread = Cheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Objects don't radiate Dread vibes. Instead, a character has the trait to avoid what they dread.
Exactly. It's something that the subjects become compelled to do.

If you want an object to radiate dread vibes, you could Afflict it with Terror (Only v. Vampires) -- and that Affliction wouldn't need an Area Effect, since it affects only one object, yet can still influence any number of nearby vampires. Not exactly the same "must avoid" mechanics, of course. But it illustrates the difference.

If you want to simultaneously make every piece of food in the produce section act like garlic, then you need an AE Affliction of Terror to get each tomato, banana, and head of lettuce. The garlic bulbs will wind up still being an object of Dread (because that's the vampire's own problem, in their head, on their character sheet rather than the garlic's) while the garlic bulb also now has Terror to affect them as well.

(Only the sentient blueberry muffins will be able to choose to switch their Terror on and off.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
Plane

Default Re: Affliction + Dread = Cheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckster View Post
So Id think this affliction would be vs Will rather than vs HT just because it pertains to a mental condition.
Conceptually this makes sense but RAW it's still a HT roll unless you add the Different Attribute +20% enhancement to shift the resistance roll of the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckster View Post
I'm not sure if dread can actually be used for player characters, since the disadvantage only says it can be applied to an "Item or Substance" so if you aren't able to have "dread: my character" as the disadvantage than it couldn't work that way.
The closest thing I've seen to this is Dread (Exorcism) for the Ghost on Horror 78

79 also has it for the shade/poltergeist

B192 describes "the ability to drive a spirit from a possessed person or haunted location" but we're not given an exact mechanic as to what it works against, so "works against creatures with Dread (Exorcism)" seems like a useful way to do that.

In terms of "how long does the exorcism linger" I'm not sure. Despite being driven from a "haunt" a demon can use resources immediately to take revenge on those present so I don't know if you even get a "guaranteed absence period" at all.

Maybe it just means ending an instance of Possession (Spiritual) and it needs to be re-initiated? A "haunt" might just be doing something like using Possession on an inanimate object like a house?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afflicting disadvantages, dread