Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
naloth

Default Re: MH: The Enemies Builds and CP costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
This is true in most cases but Horror establishes that an extremely specific way to bypass DR is just a quirk. I think similar logic would apply to Supernatural Durability—and "targeting the heart with a wooden impaling or piercing attack" is awfully specific.
Perhaps, since you still have a heart to target. It also depends how severe the effect is. If it's just stunning (that you can recover from with an IQ or similar check) then it's a pretty minor drawback for a lot of work. If your vamp is totally inert until that stake is removed, it seems like a pretty serious liability even if it's a hard attack to pull off.

DR is also a funny example because there are a number of ways to bypass it normally unless it's upgraded to not have weak points. Just adding another chink in the armor should be a quirk. Similar logic would mean that Supernatural Durability already that drawback with a similar difficulty to exploit built into the advantage.

Likewise, if your hypothetical character has IT:No Vitals instead of Supernatural Vulnerability, then it seems like more than a quirk to trade one vital hit effect for another effect.

Last edited by naloth; 03-18-2021 at 01:28 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
The original question didn't seem to be asking just for a MH campaign, but even so just because that's a convention for that genre doesn't mean it's not worth points. For example, it's a campaign thing that slayers have powers and that vampires burn in sunlight, but you wouldn't give those traits to PCs without assessing a point value.

To that end, being summonable might not be worth any points (since both friends and enemies can do it), but being able to leave at will seems useful. If you effectively cannot be killed (only banished for a while), that seems like an advantage too.
I realize the OP wants to use it in other places, but I was simply answering how it works in MH - they don't have special traits to be summoned or banished, they just are.

If you wanted something like that of course you'd use Jumper - that's obvious it's why I didn't mention it. Banishment is trickier since you'd need an Affliction to do it to a being vulnerable to being removed from the plane you're on. Perhaps Weakness with an Affliction could work. Something like "Weakness (Exorcism; Affliction, Banishment, +300%)"

Quote:
If I understood that right, it's a modifier to Terror so the normal penalty to a one time fright check instead becomes a penalty to all fright checks while you perceive the fog?

If you have a mechanism to create fright checks, you get to use that penalty multiple times rather that the once per day that Terror normally offers.
Good point. You'd need to add a couple of levels of Decreased Immunity to it as well.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Perhaps, since you still have a heart to target. It also depends how severe the effect is. If it's just stunning (that you can recover from with an IQ or similar check) then it's a pretty minor drawback for a lot of work. If your vamp is totally inert until that stake is removed, it seems like a pretty serious liability even if it's a hard attack to pull off.
In fact they get an HT roll to recover. There are technically additional penalties as long as the stake is in there, but they can remove it with a single Ready maneuver (which might seem a bit implausible for wooden bullets but that's what the text says).
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
In fact they get an HT roll to recover. There are technically additional penalties as long as the stake is in there, but they can remove it with a single Ready maneuver (which might seem a bit implausible for wooden bullets but that's what the text says).
Eh, a wooden bullet reliably stopping in the heart seems pretty implausible already, so that ship has kinda sailed. Still, a vampire with very narrow fingers - or perhaps long claws - might be able to dig into the wound channel and pull out the offending projectile. Alternatively - and particularly if vampires are able to fake a heartbeat - they may be able to flex their heart in a way that expels the bullet (not necessarily out of their body, but at least out of their heart).

All that said, when I think of firearms firing wooden "bullets," I think more of shotguns using narrow - but long-ish - saboted wooden stakes, which may well have some of the stake still sticking out and able to be gripped.