Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Keampe

Default Alternate study hours

The study rules as written are a flat 200/cp which means that skills very quickly go to 800 hours per skill level. There are some alternates in Social Engineering 2, but they just play around with how many hours you get, not how many it take to raise a skill, so why not look at that?

Just to clarify I would not use this in a Super, Cinematic or High Power game. The standard rules are just fine for those.

What would happen in a game where the only way to raise skills (or anything, really) was through study hours and it took 50 hours times the total you are going for? Example: you have 2 cp in a skill, so to raise that to 3 would require (50 X 3) = 150 hours of study. The overall hours per point even out to standard at 7cp (1400 hour total) and from there it increases. The standard 200 hour per would be used for anything but skills and assume fairly generous study time allowed.

So, my questions
- What effect would this have on the game?
- If you were to add experience cp to the game, how many hours would each point be worth? There is a option in SE 2 for each point to be worth half a level but that might be too much, or too little, I'm unsure.

Thoughts?

- Shane
Keampe is offline   Reply With Quote