Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #31
arcanus

Default Re: Question about Infinite Worlds and Quantum level

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Given how far back they diverged (1120) I'm surprised their "English" is in anyway compatible with many of the realities they deal with.

The only way Centrum can function the way it does is either the development of English (somehow) followed Homeline's path or they ran into close echos to Homeline early on and learned that form of English from them.
I think this is a great bit of flavour, Modern Centrian is reminiscent of olde english, with Interworld having learned Homeline modern English from echos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So we have a strong leaning among magical worlds whose quantum we know, but quite a few worlds whose quantum we don't know, and no real skew on worlds that rely on alchemy or super-science.
I think its split with the higher magic, mana worlds in the lower Quanta.

I'm thinking of a low mana RPM magitech world in Q6 however, an RPM/fusion alchemy version of Q3 Merlin

Quote:
That leaves 130 of which we know nothing about.
Lots of opportunities
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #32
AlexanderHowl

RPM already possesses Alchemy.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #33
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
RPM already possesses Alchemy.
Indeed, my thoughts are that RPM alchemy would provide the technomagic elements that change tech level and society.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #34
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
Indeed, my thoughts are that RPM alchemy would provide the technomagic elements that change tech level and society.
Well GURPS Fantasy introduced Equivalent TL where you plot what the magic allows the culture to do as if it was technology and that is your ETL which is not the same as actual TL.

IMHO it makes more sense if you expand it to sueprscience as well.

For example, Etheria has TL(5+1), (etheric spacecraft, TL5^) but that etheric spacecraft allows manned interplanetary spaceflight, normally TL9, so its ETL9 in that area. Doesn't change its "real" TL but gives you a better ball park on what they are able to do.

Roma Universalis is the most extreme of the canonal realities with a TL3^ and ETL9 in the area manned interplanetary spaceflight.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:44 PM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Well GURPS Fantasy introduced Equivalent TL where you plot what the magic allows the culture to do as if it was technology and that is your ETL which is not the same as actual TL.

IMHO it makes more sense if you expand it to sueprscience as well.

For example, Etheria has TL(5+1), (etheric spacecraft, TL5^) but that etheric spacecraft allows manned interplanetary spaceflight, normally TL9, so its ETL9 in that area. Doesn't change its "real" TL but gives you a better ball park on what they are able to do.
No it doesn't. Just saying "they have interplanetary spaceships" tells you everything you need to know. Adding a number doesn't give you any extra information. Particularly since those spaceships will actually be armed, armoured and accessorized like the TL 5+1 vessels they are. The only thing that's actually different is the propulsion system.
Equivalent TLs are for situations where the application of magic are so ubiquitous, that it actually will change average income. And when super science is that ubiquitous and game changing you don't need equivalent tech levels because you have actual tech levels

Last edited by David Johnston2; 02-28-2021 at 01:46 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:56 AM   #36
arcanus

So what’s people’s thoughts on a good Divergence point for an RPM Magic & RPM Alchemy type Merlin Worldline.

I’m picturing this as a variant Merlin echo or parallel in Q6, however the magic is not so showy due to the Worldline having only moved from No to Low Mana (or Normal mana in some places) by the Divergence.

Adepts are rare and only from certain rare bloodlines.

Needs to have been enough decades since divergence for alchemy to have affected all areas of industry and society.

This fits with the OPs question around high mana weird worlds being more common below Q5.

And what would Infinities naming convention be?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #37
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
So what’s people’s thoughts on a good Divergence point for an RPM Magic & RPM Alchemy type Merlin Worldline.

I’m picturing this as a variant Merlin echo or parallel in Q6, however the magic is not so showy due to the Worldline having only moved from No to Low Mana (or Normal mana in some places) by the Divergence.

Adepts are rare and only from certain rare bloodlines.

Needs to have been enough decades since divergence for alchemy to have affected all areas of industry and society.

This fits with the OPs question around high mana weird worlds being more common below Q5.

And what would Infinities naming convention be?
Mana level doesn't always result in showy magic as the fan created Five Worlds setting show. They all have Magery (Psi) with Fantasy Earth in the paradoxical situation of have No Mana but also having the oldest magic tradition.

For a canonal example there is Camelot-1 which despite being high mana has few wizards and little showy magic which is keeping with its ties to the Arthurian Vulgate Cycle.

I should point out that Low magic would make Alchemy very time consuming to do (twice the normal time) to the point I doubt it would be common.

Based on what we are given, "Merlin" is used for realities with "showy" magic out the wazoo. Alchemy worlds on the other hand get "Azoth".
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote