Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: What type of book would you most like to see produced for TFT?
Bestiary/Natural Encyclopedia 23 46.00%
Atlas & Gazeteer 4 8.00%
Grimoire of Uncommon Spells 6 12.00%
Adventures 5 10.00%
Mass Combat Rules 6 12.00%
Other (please explain in your reply) 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: TFT Books We'd Like to See

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formicid View Post
I would like to see the Bestiary and the Gazetteer. Decisions, decisions.
Yes! Hopefully, we'll TFT will be profitable enough that we'll see all of these coming out in hardcover, but only the Gods of Cidri know about that. I'm a little surprised so few are interested in an expanded spell list, but maybe that's because the poll requires a single choice. A bestiary with companion die-cut counter sheets would be ideal.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
ParadoxGames

I voted Bestiary, but thinking about it, that would be my second choice to an atlas. Or even a regional map of towns.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
Fred Skin

World War III Post-apocalyptic sourcebook & adventure, mutants & high tech.

Cidri has portals to all these worlds, so there should be a bit more than standard fantasy stuff
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
JimmyPlenty

I am all for another wizard book, but only if they create a book for fighter options!

Wizards are so diverse because of all the spells they can cast. Fighters can seen rather cookie cutter (in battle).

Of course, wizards have schools or whatever to learn them.

Fighters could be considered to go through training in the same way.

Combat Skills would only be for heroes, just like spells are only for wizards.

Skills could come from all kinds of tactical gameplay options.

I'd actually like to see this before an expanded spell list.

I don't know if you have to base each skill by IQ levels like Wizards.

The trick would be to come up with enough good ideas to make the diversity happen. Too little and everyone will pick all, or the same ones, by default.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I am all for another wizard book, but only if they create a book for fighter options!
You mean besides all the advanced combat talents already provided in the Legacy edition rules?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #16
Chris Rice

I'd like to see a system for using the character/monster cards, megahexes/playmats, encounter and treasure cards etc to create adventures on the fly. I know we're part with there with the drop-tables but it seems to me there's an opportunity to create a fully fledged, GMless system.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I'd like to see a system for using the character/monster cards, megahexes/playmats, encounter and treasure cards etc to create adventures on the fly. I know we're part with there with the drop-tables but it seems to me there's an opportunity to create a fully fledged, GMless system.
If by "adventure" you mean dungeon crawl, then it's pretty straightforward. I'm working on a card based dungeon generator that works like so:

1. Draw a Room card (tactical map possibly with obstacles)
2. Draw a Foe card (fighters or creatures)
3. If you survive, roll on the Treasure Table indicated on the Foe card.
4. Next, a short rest and an opportunity for healing.
5. Note on the map which exit you are taking when you leave the room. Exits are shown on the Room card.
6. Draw an Encounter Card to see if there's a trap, vendor, wandering monster, Riddle-Sphinx, Mercenary for Hire, etc.
7. After the encounter's resolved, draw another room card.

So that's three decks of cards (Room, Foe and Encounter) with treasure tables that can be as elaborate as you like. I tried using a treasure deck, but found rolling on the table was more fun, because you get to see the possibilities, enjoy the suspense as the dice rattle around, and really feel like you've "earned" the goodies by making the roll. Drawing a treasure card felt kind of bland to me.

It feels like a TFT "Rogue-like". If you like a "series of cage matches" then it's kinda fun, but I'm not sure everyone would consider it an "adventure". (Especially compared to the wonderful TFT adventures kickstarted by SJG and Douglas H. Cole.)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
larsdangly

'Meat' for the game: first choice is a book of spells and potions, close second is more critters.

'Rules' for the game: first choice is a system of hex-crawl style navigation and events at scales larger than labyrinth map scale; second choice is skirmish/mass combat rules for handling combats involving dozens or more on a side while remaining consistent with the core game while also being a good game-within-a-game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
hcobb

Book of Traps and Ambushes

Note that these overlap so some extent as the Goblins setup a trapdoor with an alarm and then have some archers to cover it.

Perhaps this can be a deck of cards that show megahex tile layouts for the encounter.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #20
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
If by "adventure" you mean dungeon crawl, then it's pretty straightforward. I'm working on a card based dungeon generator that works like so: (etc.)
I made a prototype of a card-based Dungeon game, as well. But it didn't have your brilliant idea of the treasures linked to the monster!

Tags
books, poll