Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #21
David Bofinger

Default Re: Peculiar Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Ooh! I like the idea of adding pole weapons that have the jab & attack priority but not the charge damage!
I guess you could also do it the other way around: have a weapon that is short but thrusty so it gets the damage bonus but not the jab or attack priority. I don't know what that would be, possibly a gladius, or some very short polearm. Anyone got an idea?
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #22
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I guess you could also do it the other way around: have a weapon that is short but thrusty so it gets the damage bonus but not the jab or attack priority. I don't know what that would be, possibly a gladius, or some very short polearm. Anyone got an idea?
That's already the javelin, except for the not the attack priority part.
Maybe a shorter javelin (for goblins and elves etc) at MinST 7, 1d-2, could also not get the attack priority.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
larsdangly

The javelin is actually an ambiguous case: The rules state that it cannot jab, but then the combat example in the back of Advanced Melee includes an instance where one was used to jab.

My most radical pet idea for revisions is to extend the reach of lots of weapons, both because it is realistic and because it would open up a whole new world of possibilities for tactics in the game, with essentially no rules changes. The reality is that many sword designs can deliver an attack on a foe whose center of mass is ~10' from yours in a single 'tempo' action. They should have reach of 2. Or, if it's a bit of a reach, you could simply define a hex to be a meter or something and then this would clearly be so. Some pole arms should have reach 2 as well, but a long spear or other long pole arm could be reasonably said to have a reach of 3. Short hafted weapons and short thrusting swords and daggers should have range 1, as normal. A pike should have an extreme range of 4. If you do this, and keep the rules for movement and engagement the same, you'd find a much more dynamic and complicated use of range and movement in combat. I suspect it would be really cool. But, of course playtest is the only way to sort out something like this.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The javelin is actually an ambiguous case: The rules state that it cannot jab, but then the combat example in the back of Advanced Melee includes an instance where one was used to jab.
The Combat Example in Advanced Melee is filled with erratum.

While never explained, the "Stan Lee no-prize" explanation of what was actually happening is: Melio (who's weapon is too short to jab) was PRETENDING to join the fight with the Troll - in keeping with his cowardly and sneaky character - BUT THEN, things change and Melio was forced to attack for real, so the GM penalized him at the end of the encounter for acting out of character.

In any event, the whole combat example with Melio, Grabby, Henchious, and Kov needs to be re-worked heavily, as the some characters are even acting at the wrong time, etc.

I would suspect SJ is on the case.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote