Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #1
thalcos

Default Aliens-like Synthentic?

I'm converting the Alien RPG's Chariot of the Gods to GURPS to run as a fun horror one shot.

Does anyone have a good Alien universe synthetic template? (I can find plenty of fan conversions of xenomorphs and facehuggers, but haven't found anything to cover the synthetic androids).
thalcos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
the-red-scare

Default Re: Aliens-like Synthentic?

Seems like they’re just Ultra-Tech androids with the realistic skin option and an AI with whatever skills fit the role? I don’t recall them having any unusual features.
the-red-scare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-red-scare View Post
Seems like they’re just Ultra-Tech androids with the realistic skin option and an AI with whatever skills fit the role? I don’t recall them having any unusual features.
That probably over-states their DR.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #4
Tyneras

They are significantly stronger than humans, but they don't have significant DR,<strike> maybe 1 or 2 points of flexible DR.</strike> They can eat and breathe but I don't know if that's purely to fit in or if they get energy from that. They would definitely have my houserule version of Injury Tolerance: Independent Body Parts. Everything can be detached, including the head, cannot be reattached and is inanimate after being detached.

Mentally I don't know if they actually have digital minds, they could very well be analog artificial brains given how emotional they get. Definitely seem prone to developing obsessions with their mission goals. Their apparent intelligence and mental abilities seems to vary between their various appearances.

While they are definitely stronger than a human of their build, I don't think they are ST20 like the combat android. Maybe +2 to +4 ST for their build.

EDIT: They appear to have no DR to speak of, they bleed as easily as humans. They don't have IT: Unliving either, but they are immune to pain.

Last edited by Tyneras; 02-23-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Mentally I don't know if they actually have digital minds, they could very well be analog artificial brains given how emotional they get. Definitely seem prone to developing obsessions with their mission goals.
I'd say that sounds intentional on the part of his programmers.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd say that sounds intentional on the part of his programmers.
I think one real world experiment with artificial emotions as a way to create more human-like interactions led to a robot physically blocking a researcher's exit. It had become "obsessed" with the human.
So obsessive behavior may be a natural, hard to avoid problem with artificial emotions.
Or the company is just all dumb and self-sabotaging like Umbrella Corp of Resident Evil fame.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
That probably over-states their DR.
I wouldn't have used the Combat Android, just the normal one. UT, p41.

This still has 5 DR.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #8
Tyneras

After talking to a friend who really loves Aliens and browsing the wiki, I've come up with this.

Synth
ST: 16 HP: 16
IQ: 12 Will: 14
DX: 14 Per: 14
HT: 12 FP: N/A
Basic Speed: 7.00
Basic Move: 7

Advantages:
Immunity to Pain, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Photographic Memory, Digital Mind, Doesn't Eat or Drink, Doesn't Sleep, Doesn't Breath, IT: Independent Body Parts, Perk: No Pheromones, Combat Reflexes

Disadvantages
Reprogramable, Electrical, Unhealing (Total)

Skills: Skills can be assumed to be at controlling attribute +4, giving a 16 or 18. Most seem to have Karate and Knife, but lack grappling skills. Other skills depend on their task.

Features
Neither has nor uses FP, Randomized Personality Traits, 400 day power supply with 3 day recharging period. Can eat and drink but get no nutrition from it.

The lack of pheromones means xenomorphs will usually ignore them if they don't act provocatively. They hold true to their programmed directives, which can result in heroic, villainous, or erratic behavior depending on those directives. Synths lack vacuum support, and while they will not suffocate they will suffer damage in a similar manner to an unprotected human.

Synths are significantly better than the average human, but they are far from super human. They don't have Accessory: Computer because while they are an AI running on a computer, that computer seems to be used strictly as a brain for the AI and doesn't run any extra programs.

Last edited by Tyneras; 02-24-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Con't believe I forgot Combat Reflexes
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
thalcos

This is perfect. I figured someone out there would know this lore better than I did :-)
thalcos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Neither has nor uses FP
400 day power supply with 3 day recharging period
Still not sure why we don't define fuel/power storage as FP

Is it something like we don't want androids spending their fuel to be more accurate with Warp?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote