Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Ritual spells

It feels like certain spells, specifically those which require substantial ST to cast, should have special rules dealing with preparation time, costs and other efforts.

For example, how much time and/or materials should be required to create a pentagram? Flavor-wise, it wouldn't seem appropriate to allow this to be done on the fly.

Revival is another spell that I would expect some serious prep-time is needed.

Does anyone have house-rules for something like this?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Ritual spells

I've added Rites in The Book of Unlife. They operate basically as spells that cleric-types perform. Many of them take a long period of time, with some spanning days. Also, forging Golem and incubating Homunculi are long and involved processes from that book. Both have material and time requirements, and are spelled out as to what needs to be done on each day.

I also cover séances, which could be considered an extended magical operation in some contexts, though I have it categorised under the Mediumship talents.

I can repost some of that stuff here if it helps.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I've added Rites in The Book of Unlife. They operate basically as spells that cleric-types perform. Many of them take a long period of time, with some spanning days. Also, forging Golem and incubating Homunculi are long and involved processes from that book. Both have material and time requirements, and are spelled out as to what needs to be done on each day.

I can repost some of that stuff here if it helps.
I was thinking more about how this kind of mechanic might be applied to existing spells, but I'm sure your content would provide some good general guidelines for it.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I was thinking more about how this kind of mechanic might be applied to existing spells, but I'm sure your content would provide some good general guidelines for it.
Personally I do like to add preparations and ingredient lists to complex spells, such as Pentagram. I also think Astral Projection should require preparation and the right environment. Both could in theory be done extemporaneously in certain situations, but I'd impose a penalty on someone sketching a pentagram or going out-of-body in less than optimal circumstances. There are no doubt other spells that would benefit from this kind of extra detailing as well.

I'll post some of my stuff a bit later, when I get a chance to get to that computer.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Here's a list of the spells that I would probably want to apply some kind of ritual rules to...

IQ 10
Ward

IQ 11
Reveal/Conceal

IQ 12
Analyze Magic
Pathfinder

IQ 13
Scrying

IQ 14
Restore Device
Summon Lesser Demon
Weapon/Armor Enchantment

IQ 15
Astral Projection
Create Gate
Pentagram
Regeneration

IQ 16
Create/Destroy Elemental
Write Scroll

IQ 17
Cleansing
Dissolve Enchantment
Geas
Summon Demon
The Little Death

IQ 18
Lesser Magic Item Creation
Shapeshifting (other only?)

IQ 19
Long Distance Teleportation
Revival
Zombie

IQ 20
Greater Magic Item Creation
Possession
Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
hcobb

I like having IQ 15 wizards cast ward as they're walking around the corner.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Here's a list of the spells that I would probably want to apply some kind of ritual rules to...
A good list, and I could see rituals being an important part of many of those. For example, I think Regeneration should be complex, laborious, time consuming, and expensive. It should also require some pretty choice ingredients.

Likewise, opening a gate is not a trivial matter, and should require a lot of preparation. Possibly one would have to construct the correct mathematical geometry to house the gate as well. The shape of the gateway could be part of what "tunes" the gate to the right location.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Shadekeep

Here's an excerpt from my book that I promised to share. It's the process for creating a Homunculus. It's very detailed, but that's because I adapted the actual alchemical working known as the Donum Dei into the process. Not every ritual needs to be this detailed, but it can add to the verisimilitude of the game world to have such things.

Creating a Homunculus
Creating a Homunculus is a process that combines alchemy with magic to create a familiar magically imbued with life. The prerequisites for this are the Alchemy talent and knowledge of the Inspirate Homunculus spell. One must have an alchemical workshop and secure all the ingredients needed. When all is obtained, one is ready to begin the Donum Dei, the sacred procedure for incubating a Homunculus. Homunculi produced this way are the same as those listed in the guidebook section of this book. A winged Homunculus can optionally be produced, though this one will be lighter and physically weaker than the grounded form.

Homunculus Abilities
• Cast Aid on creator (see Aid spell)
• Act as Proxy for creator (see magical item Proxy)
• Act as Scout for creator (see Summon Scout spell)
• Act as a Strength Battery (see Mana Staff rules)
• Act as an assistant mage in item enchantment (see Item Creation rules)

Inspirate Homunculus
IQ 20 (S), 5 ST
This spell is required in order to inspirate, or breath life into, a Homunculus. It is a spell on par with Greater Magic Item Creation, though with even more esoteric knowledge required. So it is that one only finds the most accomplished wizards to have a Homunculus as a familiar.

The Donum Dei
The following stages are what must be done to successfully create a Homunculus. Each stage takes a day, that time a combination of the alchemical work performed and the period needed for the chemicals to interact into their mature form at that stage. The purity of the ingredients makes them costly.
Day 1 - Coitus
Mix powdered iron ($100) and powdered yellow sulphur ($200) in pure water to produce green vitriol.
Day 2 - Conception
Add a quantity of mercury ($350), being careful to vent away the gasses that will form.
Day 3 - Impregnation
Fix the solution with powdered calcium carbonate ($200) until it resembles milk.
Day 4 - Putrefaction
Add powdered black sulphur ($600) and heat just below boiling throughout the day.
Day 5 - Fermentation
Decoct the red tincture that is produced as fermentation occurs until none remains.
Day 6 - Sanguination
The creator adds their own blood to the mixture, then evaporates until a black tar remains.
Day 7 - Dissolution
Add philosopher’s oil ($1200) until the compound dilutes evenly, forming elixir.
Day 8 - Separation
Add powdered white sulphur ($450) and gently agitate the solution until the layers separate.
Day 9 - Precipitation
Add essential salte ($4000), causing the upper layer to precipitate through the lower and accumulate.
Day 10 - Coagulation
Add potassium ash ($100), or sodium ash ($200) for a winged Homunculus, to start crystallisation.
Day 11 - Calcination
Add powdered silver ($3000) and bring the solution to high heat until is shows golden.
Day 12 - Inspiration
Perform the Inspirate Homunculus spell into the mixture. Decant the liquid carefully until you reveal the alchemical egg known as The Red Rose. It is from this marvelous stone that, if all has been performed properly, your Homunculus will now hatch forth. Let yourself be the first soul it looks upon, and if the bond be true, your own visage shall you see in kind through its eyes.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 11-14-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: needed to add the Inspirate Homunculus spell section
Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Here's an excerpt from my book that I promised to share. It's the process for creating a Homunculus. It's very detailed, but that's because I adapted the actual alchemical working known as the Donum Dei into the process. Not every ritual needs to be this detailed, but it can add to the verisimilitude of the game world to have such things.
Wow, this is certainly extremely detailed... almost disturbingly so. ;)

What do you have that is perhaps a bit more appropriate for use as a standard template for rituals?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
hcobb

Gather a hundred villagers every day to each contribute one fatigue and in a few weeks you've got a magic sword.