Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Return of the MNSH (Murderous Ninja Sniper Halfling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A related hack that I'm closing in my house rules.

Human ST 8 DX 12 IQ 12 MA 12
Kick(2d-1)
Running(2), UC I-III(4), other stuff

Combat tactic is to rush and toss a ST 16 fighter. The big fighter needs to roll his DX of 11 on four dice or fall down. Then kick the guy while he's down.
What are you doing to close this?

(The problem I see isn't about the tactic but about UC III being taken as a free starting talent.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
hcobb

High level UC inflicts a 4D roll on strong targets while shield rush is only 2D.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
larsdangly

Quote:
A related hack that I'm closing in my house rules.

Human ST 8 DX 12 IQ 12 MA 12
Kick(2d-1)
Running(2), UC I-III(4), other stuff

Combat tactic is to rush and toss a ST 16 fighter. The big fighter needs to roll his DX of 11 on four dice or fall down. Then kick the guy while he's down.
Couldn't this strategy be stopped by any combatant with a pole weapon or a missile weapon, or any weapon if your adjusted DX is over 12?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #14
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Except the MNSH's massively damaging barrage is imaginary because he/she/they doesn't get to deliver 12 shrewd damage bonuses per turn, thus all of the attacks bounce off the dragon's scales, and the fight ends in 2-3 turns with a pleasant burnt-bacon-y odor filling the arena.
Since you seem to be wishing ill on this poor small helpless halfling, I would like to point out that in RAW, (a) "halflings are very likable"; (b) "because no one is especially afraid of them"; (c) "Only the cruelest individuals or races will give a Halfling much trouble" [ie wish them burned by 7-hex dragons], and (d) "Therefore, a Halfling receives a +1 on any reaction roll with an intelligent creature or “normal” animal".
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #15
Skarg

Quote:
High level UC inflicts a 4D roll on strong targets while shield rush is only 2D.
It makes some degree of sense to me that and UC throw doesn't take the ST of the target into account.

The 2d resistance to shield rushes by weaker people is intended to make that almost useless. That tactic requires a shield, IQ 7, and one talent point. UC III requires not using any weapons/armor, IQ 12, DX 12, 4 talent points, and presumably an appropriate background or way of learning such skills.

If the UC III figure misses their attack roll, or the ST 13 DX 11 opponent makes their 4/ST roll (which I calculate the combined odds of at slightly over 50%), then the throw attempt has no effect. And any attack on an unarmored ST 8 fighter is bad news for the UC III figure.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
hcobb

How does the MNSH close against the Lt Crossbow sniper anyway?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
RobW

hmmm, what kind of armor does Lt Crossbow Sniper wear?

If the answer is "none" -- and this is a standard Melee map - it might go like this:

Move. Crossbow makes sure he is on the starred hex furthest away from MNSH, and drops prone ready to fire. MNSH rushes forward 6 hexes to close the range to 7 hexes.

Actions. MNSH throws 12 sha-ken ("normally" rather than shrewd), adjDX = 23 + 2 (thrown weapons) - 8 (for 12 sha-ken) = 17, so he acts first. The range is 7, so adjDX=10 to hit, ie 50% chance, so on average 6 sha-ken hit, for an average of 21 damage. Maybe that's 15 if crossbow wearing cloth, 9 if leather?

Last edited by RobW; 11-11-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
hmmm, what kind of armor does Lt Crossbow Sniper wear?

If the answer is "none" -- and this is a standard Melee map - it might go like this:

Move. Crossbow makes sure he is on the starred hex furthest away from MNSH, and drops prone ready to fire. MNSH rushes forward 6 hexes to close the range to 7 hexes.

Actions. MNSH throws 12 sha-ken ("normally" rather than shrewd), adjDX = 23 + 2 (thrown weapons) - 8 (for 12 sha-ken) = 17, so he acts first. The range is 7, so adjDX=10 to hit, ie 50% chance, so on average 6 sha-ken hit, for an average of 21 damage. Maybe that's 15 if crossbow wearing cloth, 9 if leather?
I would not allow several aspects of the design, i.e.:

RAW rulings:
* No shrewd throws.
* No Expert or Master Sha Ken talent.
* It says you can throw up to 12 at once. It doesn't say you can ready 12 at once. Also Thrown Weapons says "He can also throw any weapon on the same turn he readies it." It doesn't say 12 weapons. While you can start with 12 readied in advance, I'm not convinced you can ready 12 per turn, let alone ready and throw 12 in one turn.

House rulings:
* Sha-Ken do max 1 injury per each, with possible exceptions for single throws and/or double/triple damage.

I also consider such a character extremely unlikely to ever be achieved during play, because it's a ST 4 unarmored build who will need to somehow survive long enough to get enough XP to raise to 40 points. I think only abusing an over-indulgent GM (in terms of never attacking the halfling, giving out generous XP for non-dangerous play, and allowing dumping it all on DX and MNSH talents) could/would ever have such a character reach this state, because he's one attack away from death at all times.

Moreover, the MNSH is a 40-point character, so although he can spectacularly kill an unarmored opponent, so can just about any 40-point character. And the MNSH is liable to die if faced with more than one foe who can reach him with almost any attack that does damage. He might shred opponents 1 on 1 and sha-ken probably shouldn't do 1d-2 each, but almost any hit will take him out. If he is seen to shred someone, he'll become a priority target, too.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #19
larsdangly

The expected value on a sha ken attack against a figure in leather armor is 0.5 points (1 in 6 chance of 1 point; 1 in 6 chance of 2 points). So, the expected damage taken from those 6 hits is only 3 points, not 9. I think the expected value vs. unarmored foes isn't as high as you suggest either: 6 x 1.5 pts each = 9, not 21. Or am I forgetting some sort of damage bonus hobbits get with thrown weapons?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #20
RobW

Hobbits lost their bonus damage with thrown weapons, but I am including +2 for weapon mastery.