Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Tenex

Default Re: Aimed Shots, Crippling Hits, and Dagger Marksmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
Yes, I mean a "fix" in the sense you say, a new systematization that fixes (improve) the previous. Not exactly the most urgent adjustment, in my opinion.
What would be more urgent than clarifying rules that directly conflict with each other?
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
ecz

I do not see the conflict.
there are different rules, different weapons, different type of attack that have all different effects.

As said I never used the optional crippling hits optional rule,
so the only rules overlapping (in part) are those about aimed shots and some special (peculiar) weapons.
sub-optimal? probably
manageable per RAW? yes

There are many parts that need a re-write, or a clarification, or an errata, or playing per RAW causes problems of consistency unless one start to use house rules intensively
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Agreed; I feel like this was a missed opportunity to unify and streamline a bunch of related ideas. I'm sure it simplified the editing process, but we are left with literally a half dozen different ways in which attacks might target specific body parts (net, bola, whip, lasso, dagger marksmanship, critical hits).
agreed.
I hope that the final PDF will improve the product cancelling the many pages of iussues we have found and, why not, simplifies also the rules about attacks to specific body parts that are too many without any serious reason behid.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
larsdangly

I also find it 'manageable', in the sense that I know each of these weapons or circumstances has its own rules, that I'm supposed to go find them when the time comes, and they all are fine. I just think it is a subject that should have been tidied up. It is like a little corner of Cyborg Commando that got dropped into Tunnels and Trolls.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
larsdangly

My house rules binned all this stuff into a 1 die aiming penalty, with the individual weapon descriptions boiled down to telling you whether that weapon damages or binds/suppresses the spot it hit. That's really the only information you end up using.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #16
Skarg

We used all the targeting rules for some years. I think they do all work ok, until/unless you start to push the limits (e.g. high adjDX).

Yes, it would be nice to condense them and make them more consistent. However, they do seem to be different at least partly for reasons (e.g. entangling a body part with a whip, lasso, or bolas _should_ be different from hitting it with a weapon), though I think they could all stand improvement, specifically:

* The peculiar weapons need a defender saving throw and/or limits, because otherwise the whip, lasso, bola or net have the same chance of taking down an unarmored child looking the wrong way as they do the most formidable foe you can imagine, and that chance can be quite high.

* The critical hit effects should take into account the target's armor, at least, otherwise the risk of being crippled by anything is constant.

* The aimed shots also tend to be pretty deadly if you can get enough adjDX, and there are still ways to get very high adjDX (talents, Aid spells, enchantments). Again I'd prefer a target saving throw to reduce the feeling of helplessness.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
larsdangly

To be clear: I'm not house ruling this at the moment. I'm basically committed to playing the new edition RAW for at least a couple of months, other than folding in new spells and so forth (which I don't consider to be changes to rules).
Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Jack O'All Trades

I'm really surprised that they restructured these rules but kept the discrepancy between Crippling Hits and Aimed Shots. I wonder what the logic behind that decision is? Perhaps it is to allow very weak attackers to still have a random chance of causing a serious injury to a PC?
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
platimus

I would like to go on record as saying that I like the various and different aimed shots, crippling hits, etc. rules.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:17 AM   #20
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I would like to go on record as saying that I like the various and different aimed shots, crippling hits, etc. rules.
If you could “like” a post on here, I’d like this one. Especially Platimus’ sig...