Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #11
Maz

Default Re: Spike's combo kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Note that you can only turn one attack in a round into a Rapid Strike. If you take an All-Out Attack (Double), one of the attacks can be broken down into Rapid Strikes, but the other one is only one attack (at no penalty, though, which is nice).
Oh right. Also I forgot that to halv it you have to pay 1 FP per attack, so it's 6 FP! Not just 1.

In 3e MA there was a Jab-technique that let you punch twice for reduced damage, is there anything similar in 4e?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post

In 3e MA there was a Jab-technique that let you punch twice for reduced damage, is there anything similar in 4e?
Nope. Jab was broken with high strength characters. In 4e a Jab is a Defensive Attack.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Exxar
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'd disagree here. Martial Arts states that a standard Kick in GURPS can represent "crescent, rising, side, and snap kicks", and it certainly looks like "snap kicks" would describe what Spike is doing there.
I second this. Additionally, untrained people will often see certain moves as "how can that pack a punch" because of lack of wide movements (especially if the moves are depicted in a cartoon), but the thing is powerful blows can be executed with very few movements indeed. It's just that you have to put all of your body behind it. That's the difference between skilled and unskilled martial artists.
Exxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar View Post
I second this. Additionally, untrained people will often see certain moves as "how can that pack a punch" because of lack of wide movements (especially if the moves are depicted in a cartoon), but the thing is powerful blows can be executed with very few movements indeed. It's just that you have to put all of your body behind it. That's the difference between skilled and unskilled martial artists.
Come on, the kick in that clip doesn't have any power at all behind it, its the standard showoff Tae Kwon Do hit 3 or five times kick. No body at all behind it.

But maybe it needs a trained eye to see that...
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Exxar
MIB

Exactly, a trained martial artist would be able to tell if that kick is the standard showoff or the real thing, if that clip were of a real person and not an animated one. This way, we can only speculate.
Exxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Ragitsu
Banned

He might have Striking ST limited to unarmed attacks.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I've been thinking some more about this, and I think it might be fair to design a new combat option that reduces damage to reduce the penalty for Rapid Strike, so long as it doesn't reduce it to nothing.

Perhaps each -1/die damage reduces the penalty to rapid strike by 1, with a maximum of 1/2 the penalty to RS.

In my real life martial arts experience (moderately respectable) it's easier to fire off multiple strikes quickly if you eliminate some of the body turn and weight shifting that generates power.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
Ragitsu
Banned

Also, is Vincent using the Lethal Strike option when he grabs Spike's midsection (Vitals, perhaps?) with his fingers?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar View Post
Exactly, a trained martial artist would be able to tell if that kick is the standard showoff or the real thing, if that clip were of a real person and not an animated one. This way, we can only speculate.
Then why aruge at all. Its anime so just build a 5d6 innate attack :-/
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Also, is Vincent using the Lethal Strike option when he grabs Spike's midsection (Vitals, perhaps?) with his fingers?
He's actually grabbing and squeezing Spike's gunshot wound, which would be exceedingly painful. IDHWMBWM, but I'd eyeball it as something like -7 to hit (halved to -3 for grappling), imposing a -4 shock penalty, and requiring an HT roll against knockdown/stunning.

Tags
blood_diamond, combat, cowboy_bebop, martial arts