Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #121
ArmoredThirteen

Default Re: Stuff I felt should exist....

If anyone is interested, THIS is a site me and a friend made in highschool to keep track of all of our custom rules. There's around 100 new weapons, components, vehicle types, and more. We were using Carwars Deluxe, not sure what edition.
ArmoredThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #122
ElLoboGordo

There's a huge load of backpost on this thread, so I'll just ask:

Has anybody fiddled around with some flavor of plowblade/cowcatcher/chainroll to try and scoop or fling away mines/spikes/debris before the car's tires are damaged? It would be big and ungainly, but invaluable in certain specialized applications.

And if you're in flyover country, consider linking into Tornado Alley Game Guild!
ElLoboGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #123
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoboGordo View Post
Has anybody fiddled around with some flavor of plowblade/cowcatcher/chainroll to try and scoop or fling away mines/spikes/debris before the car's tires are damaged? It would be big and ungainly, but invaluable in certain specialized applications.
_CW Tanks_ had one, but that was for AFVs only.

When the rules package evolved to where ramplate-and-DW cars became dominant, I worked up a front-armor mod where, when crossing any DW counter, the player rolled 1d6 -- 1-4, the counter went away with no effect; 5, the counter hit the car's Front armor; 6, counter hit the car as normal. It had the desired effect -- people actually brought *guns* to a gunfight again.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #124
ElLoboGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredThirteen View Post
If anyone is interested, THIS is a site me and a friend made in highschool to keep track of all of our custom rules. There's around 100 new weapons, components, vehicle types, and more. We were using Carwars Deluxe, not sure what edition.
Your "single-geared" mod is funny. Go-Kart Wars!

And if you're in flyover country, consider linking into Tornado Alley Game Guild!
ElLoboGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #125
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoboGordo View Post
Your "single-geared" mod is funny. Go-Kart Wars!
Well, since it's now possible to build a three-speed automatic transmission in _CW_....

Overdrive
HTMs
2x Link

The links are between either the HTMs or the O-drive (1 Link ea.), and the car's speedometer (as described under "Body Types: Price" in the construction rules). The links trigger thus:

Car's speed is within HTM-top-speed range: HTMs On. O-drive Off.
Car's speed is between HTM-top-speed and regular top-speed: HTMs Off. O-drive Off.
Car's speed is within O-drive-top-speed range: HTMs Off. O-drive On.

:)

79er

Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #126
kabson

I'm going to post this as evidence that I am a very lazy designer.

Advanced Link Network - $250, no weight or space. Replaces Links between weapons and accessories with a single vehicle-wide network. Any weapon or accessory combination can be activated with a single firing action, without defining each combination during the design process. As with normal Links, only identical weapons in a single facing may be aimed. This accessory does not provide the benefits of a Smart Link. Smart Links must be purchased separately, but include a link to the ALN to trigger un-aimed fire or accessories.

Slightly less lazy alternative:
$200 plus $10 per linked weapon or accessory, no weight or space. Otherwise the same.

I suppose a 'per facing' cost would work too.

Possibly a bit cheap, but once I get past five links I start getting headaches.
kabson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #127
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
The links are between either the HTMs or the O-drive (1 Link ea.), and the car's speedometer (as described under "Body Types: Price" in the construction rules).
There's nothing in the rules that say you can link to the speedometer and this would DIRECTLY contradict the rules for Overdrive which states that activation and deactivation is a firing action.

However, common sense would tell you that the car would be set to do that as a default.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #128
swordtart

Smeete:

I like the idea of a master controller to allow on the fly selection of combinations of firing actions, but suggest the unit be connected to each component by a standard link. It still represents a cost saving over multiple links between components but is a bit more consistent with the base rules.

43:
You can link HTM and overdrive if you want (since both require firing actions)but you can't operate them without spending a firing action (we have voice command computers and the like for that).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #129
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
There's nothing in the rules that say you can link to the speedometer and this would DIRECTLY contradict the rules for Overdrive which states that activation and deactivation is a firing action.

However, common sense would tell you that the car would be set to do that as a default.
Funny -- the six-speed autobox in my truck doesn't need my involvement, unless I set to "manual". :)

That's what the links are for -- as the speedo passes the appropriate speed, the link toggles the system it's linked to. For lack of a better way to represent the system, the links will suffice.

79er

Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #130
Parody

I tend to just leave HTMs on until I get to what will be my top speed (taking some plant damage along the way) and then turn them off, possibly via a link that also toggles on Overdrive.