Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Fluffy

Default Stuff I felt should exist....

Awhile after UACFH came out, I had a brainstorm. Of course it was too late to do anything with it, but I still wrote a bunch of stuff up. This was the weapons and ammo section. All of this is un-tested in the arena. I originally envisoned putting this up under the name of Cuddly Uncle Rodney's Vehicluar Extravaganza, or Curve, as kind of a house Uncle Al's alternative.

In any case enjoy. If this sort of thing is welcome here, I'll post more. All of this is meant for ver 2.5 and a lot of it was based off of hand weapons or other devices I felt just should exist:

Anti Missle System- (AMS) to hit 4, 2d+2 damage, 3DP, 3 sp, 650lbs, $6500, 5 shots, $140, 20 lbs per shot. Loaded cost $7200, loaded weight 750 lbs. Loaded mag $750/115 pounds. Area effect. Must be linked to a ATAD or Computer Gunner and set for a certain speed, firing at anything at that speed or faster. May be fired manually, but to hit is 6. May use no special ammo.

Gauss Needler (GN)- To hit 6, 2d damage, 2DP, 1sp, 250lbs, $4000, 10 shots, $15/5lbs per shot, loaded cost $4150, loaded weight 300lbs. Does half damage to vehicles. Area effect. Drains 1 PU per shot.

Heavy Anti-Power Plant Rocket (HAPPR)-
To hit 9, damage 1d-2, $1700, 2DP, 1sp, 100lbs, 1 shot. Functions identically to the APPR, but has 3 anti-power plant warheads that scatter after the explosive is detonated. Roll three times for damage, and roll 3 times for location if hitting a random area.

Heavy Double Barreled Vehicular Shotgun- To hit 6, Damage 3 hits, $2200, 2DP, 1Sp, 185lbs, 10 shots, $3/2lbs per shot, loaded cost $2230, loaded weight 205 lbs. May fire one or two shots at a time, to hit determined separately.

Heavy Vehicular Shotgun-(HVS) To hit 6, Damage 3 hits, $1600, 2DP, 1Sp, 155lbs, 10 shots, $3/2lbs per shot, loaded cost $1630, loaded weight 175lbs. May load any shotgun round.

Laser Point Defense System (LPDS)- To hit 6, damage 1d-2, $6000, 2DP, 1 sp, 225lbs., area effect, drains 2 power units per shot. May fire up to three times aimed, or may be set on rapid fire, firing in a 1” long cone, similar to a beehive tank gun round, hitting on a each target on a 4 or better, doing only 1 point of damage to each target hit. This use drains 3 power units. The LPDS may not be made pulse.

Light Vulcan Machine Gun (LVMG)- To hit 6, damage 1d+2, 2DP, 1½ sp, $1700, 240 lbs, 20 shots, $30/3lbs per shot. Loaded cost $2300, loaded weight 300lbs, loaded mag $650, 75lbs., area effect. May use anti-personel and tracer ammo.

Mini-Grenade launcher (MGL)- To hit 7, damage as per grenade, 1DP, 1sp, $700, 125lbs, 5 shots, Cost as per grenade, 4lbs, 145lbs loaded, max range 25". Loaded Magazines weigh 35lbs.

Micro-Laser(McL)-To hit 6, 2hits damage, 0DP (Destroyed on first hit), $1500, 65lbs, 1/3sp, area effect. Drains ½ power unit per shot. If made pulse, does 3 hits of damage.

Mini-Laser (MiL)- To hit 6, 1d-2 damage (always at least one point), 1DP, $2500, 90lbs, ½ sp, area effect. Drains ½ power unit per shot.

Point Defense System (PDS) To hit NA, Damage as per Discharger type, 1 DP, $800, 120 lbs, 1 sp, 10 shots, 5lbs/ CPS as per discharger type. The PDS essentially is a plate that folds back in the vehicle and may be loaded with packs similar to dischargers. It may be mounted like any other weapon and while loaded is dealt with as far as targeting like a discharger. May use any discharger type except PDG’s.

Railgun (RG)- To hit 7, 7d +3 damage, 5DP, 6sp, $55000, 800lbs, 10shots, 10 lbs/$200 per shot, loaded cost $57, 000. Loaded mag 115lbs/$2050. Drains 4 power units per shot.

Road Bombs (RBmb) To Hit NA, 3d damage (see below), 2DP, 1 sp, $450, 100lbs, 1 shot, Burst effect. Road bombs are very large mines. They use the same counter as mines, and are encountered and detonated in the same fashion, but when they are hit do 3d damage in a 1/2 inch radius, to exposed armor and tires in that area. They have a 1d standard burst radius to everything one inch beyond that. May use proximity fuses. Road Bombs when first dropped can be set with a delay up from 1 phase up to 5 turns. Hitting a road bomb before it is armed is the same as hitting a debris counter.

Ultra Rocket (UR)-To hit 9, 6d damage, 2DP, 1 sp, $7500, 125lbs, 1 shot weapon, burst effect. May use all standard rocket modifications. Burst effect. Military Item

Vehicular Automatic Weapon (VAW)- To hit 7, 1d+1 damage, 1DP, ½ sp, $850, 65 lbs, 1.5lb/$7.5 per shot, 10 shots, loaded cost $925, loaded weight 80lbs. Loaded mag, $125/30lbs. ½ damage to vehicles, may use anti-personel ammo. Area effect.

Vehicular Autoshotgun (VASG)- To hit 6, damage special, 2DP, 2sp, $1600, 140lbs, 6lbs/$30 per shot, 10 shots, loaded cost 200lbs, $2300. Loaded mag, $350, 75lbs. The VASG rolls to hit normally, but hits with d6 shots, each doing 2 hits. At ranges of greater than 10”, subtract 1 from the roll (but never less than one). Treat each shot separately for purposes of damage to armor, but as one big group for purposes of hazard. May use slugs, and slug rounds are not lost due to range. Firing the VASG for cycles, as well as side mounted VASG on trikes and Sub-compacts is a D1 hazard. Area effect.

Vehicular Double Barreled Shotgun (VDBSG)- To hit 6, 2 hits damage, 2DP, 1sp, $$1450, 140lbs, 1lb/5 per shot, 10 shots, loaded cost $1460, loaded weight 150lbs. Loaded mag, $100, 20lbs. May use Slug ammo. May fire one or two shots at a time, to hit determined separately.

Vehicular GyroSlugger (VeGS)- to hit 9, 2d damage, 2DP, 1sp, $3000, 125lbs, 1lb/$100 per shot, 5 shots, loaded cost $3500, loaded weight 130lbs. Loaded mag $550/30lbs. Max range 15”, 20” if using a long barrel, in addition to other benefits. May use any other standard gyroslugger round, CPS as per round, WPS 1.

Vehicular Sub Machine Gun (VSMG)- To hit 6, 1d damage, 1DP, 1/3 sp, $950, 45lbs, 1 lb/$5 per shot, 5 shots, loaded cost $975, loaded weight 50lbs. Loaded mag $100/25lbs, (special: Extra magazines hold 10shots, not 5.) Area effect, may use anti-personel ammo. Suffers double normal range penalties, ½ damage to vehicluar components.

Velocity Gun (VG)- To hit 8, damage 1d+3, 2DP, 1sp, 290lbs, $2900, 10 shots, CPS 10, WPS 1, loaded cost $3000, loaded cost 300, Loaded mag, $150, 25lbs. ½ damage to DP items and pedestrians. May use DPU ammo.

Single Shot Grenade Launcher (SSGL)- To hit7, Damage as per grenade, 1DP, $250, 45lbs, ½ sp, 1 shot, Cost as per grenade, 4lbs, loaded weight 49lbs, max range 25", may not use extra magazines.

Single Shot Gyroslugger (SSGS)- To hit 8, Damage as per gyroslugger round, 1DP, $1750, 30lbs, ½ sp, 1 shot, CPS as per gyroslugger round, WPS 1, Loaded weight 31lbs, max range 15”, may not use extra magazines.

Ammunition

Armor Piercing Explosive- CPSx3, WPSx2. Maybe used in any weapon that may use HD ammo. APEX ammo does one extra point of damage per 2d (round up) to plastic armor. While it does not do extra damage to metal armor, it does remove one point of metal on any 5 or 6 on the damage die. It doesn’t have an appreciable burst radius, but doesn’t cancel any area effect.

Antipersonnel Grenade Shells- For pedestrian GL’s, GL’s only (no AGLs). Both are giant shotgun shells, and each only has a maximum range of 10”.
Dual Purpose- Lowers to hit roll by 1, does 1d damage, ½ to vehicles and tires.
Flechette- Lowers to hit roll by 1, 1d+1 damage to pedestrians and tires only.

Hardball (tm) ammo- CPS x2For Shotguns, Dbbl Shotguns, and Vehicular shotguns. Fires three hard plastic balls. No damage to vehicular components or tires, and only does 1 point to pedestrians. Any pedestrian hit is affected as if by a concussion grenade.

Laserproof missiles- Adds 10% to cost and weight of any missile. Missiles so modified are not harmed by laser fire.

Lizard Spit (tm) ammo- For Shotguns, Dbbl Shotguns and Vehicular shotguns. Turns your shotgun into a mini-flamethrower. +1point damage, burn modifier 2/1, Cost x10. On a to hit roll of 2, roll 1 die: 1 no extra effect, 2-5 weapon is taken to 0DP or otherwise rendered unfunctional, 6- ammo explosion. When used in hand weapons, does 1 point to vehicular components and tires. Volitale. Max range 7"

Military Grade Explosive Rockets-Weight x1.5, cost x125. Single shot rockets only. Military Grade Explosive Rockets do 3x the listed damage, and may be made laser guided or armor piercing as per normal. MGE Mini-Rockets do 2d+2 dice of damage. May not be used to modify SR’s or UR’s as they both already use MGE.

Slug Ammo- For shotguns, Dbbl Shotguns, and Vehicular Shotguns. Adds one to the ‘to hit’ number, +1 damage. Cost x5.

Last edited by Fluffy; 05-23-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Stuff I felt should exist....

Nice ! ;)

I think some gadgets close in design to yours appear in the NOVA pages . The Light Vulcan may be a little powerful , I'd drop the damage to 1d+1 . At +2 in would do more average damage than a revised HMG .

I'll have a good look through and see if I can comment on anything else .
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

oo, i've got a few too.

i made them up for a future pbem. (link at the bottom.)

Large Bore Projectiles (or MAYBE dropped solid. dunno.)

Mortar - $250, 50 lbs., 1 space, 2 DP, 5 shots (10 lbs. each, see below for cost). Loaded weight 100 lbs.; loaded magazine weighs 65 lbs. No to-hit roll needed, as this weapon cannot be 'aimed' outright. It is considered 'fixed' and fires straight out as with weapons on automatic. The Mortar fires charged shells through the air at a 45-degree arc, always landing exactly 6" away, 2 phases later. (For simplicity's sake, do not take into account the firing vehicle's speed.) This means it is now possible to fire over an object and hit a target on the other side. This also means, if traveling fast enough, you can hit yourself with your own Mortar fire. When on automatic the Mortar fires as dropped weapons do: every phase that the vehicle moves, or once per turn if stationary. Perfect for covering an area with fire.

Standard Round - $75. Singular shell that detonates on impact. 3d to top of object hit, 2d to all objects and exposed armor facings within ½", 1d to all objects and exposed armor facings within 1". If a shell lands near the front right corner of your car, the blast will damage both your front and right armor facings and tires. Creates a pothole obstacle at impact sight.

Cluster Round - $130. A cluster of smaller shells that spread over the target area. 2d to all objects (similar to Flame Cloud damage, except for underbodies) within ¾", 1d to objects and exposed armor facings within 1".

(ug, it's too much work to paste the rest. it gets screwy, and i have to delete large spaces and hit the space bar and stuff. click the link to see more...)

http://www.cwhnj.com/tsarnj/pbem/duel15/MAIN.HTM
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
DSumner

Okay, here's a couple of my home brew goodies. I'll add more later.

Caseless Ammo: 3x cost, ½ weight of normal ammo. Available for MG, VMG, and AC.

Magnetic Pulse Mines: Only available for Spear 1000 Mine Droppers. 1d-1 damage, CPS 150, WPS 10. If an electric power plant is damaged by this weapon (even a single point), the vehicle’s electrical system short-circuits and the power plant immediately looses all power and shuts down. It does not affect internal combustion (IC) engines or independently-powered devices, such as lasers with laser batteries. A short-circuited power plant can be recharged normally.

Smart Mines: 2.5x normal CPS, normal weight. Smart Mines are equipped with an Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) system that prevents the mines from detonating while the vehicle that dropped them is within the mine's blast radius. For 3x the CPS they can be set to ignore multiple vehicles (i.e. ignore all "Team Foxfire" vehicles, ignore all motorcycles, etc.), or set to only detonate for certain types of vehicles (cars, cycles, trucks, etc.).

Last edited by DSumner; 02-25-2013 at 08:35 PM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Okay, here's a couple of my home brew goodies. I'll add more later.

Caseless Ammo – 2x cost, ½ weight of normal ammo. Available for MG, VMG, and AC.
Good idea. Would these only work with normal ammor or could the other types use this as well. Also, would there need to be a modification to the weapon?

Quote:
Magnetic Pulse Mines - Only available for Spear 1000 Mine Droppers. 1d-1 damage, CPS 150, WPS 10. If an electric power plant is damaged by this weapon (even a single point), the vehicle’s electrical system short-circuits and the power plant immediately looses all power and shuts down. It does not affect internal combustion (IC) engines or independently-powered devices, such as lasers with laser batteries. A short-circuited power plant can be recharged normally.
This is a good idea also. I have yet to see ANYONE short out a power plant with a rocket but the weak armor on the underside of a vehicle would make a mine more likely to work.

Quote:
Smart Mines - 2x normal cost, normal weight. Smart Mines are equipped with an IFF system that prevents them from being detonated by the vehicle that dropped them. For 3x the normal cost they can be set to ignore multiple vehicles (i.e. ignore all Team Foxfire vehicles) For 4x the normal cost they can be set to set to detonate for a specific type of vehicle (cars, cycles, trucks, etc.).
You might want to modify the conditions under which the mines would not detonate. They should probably be inactivated if the dropping/friendly vehicle is within blast radius. This will prevent an unfriendly from detonating when a friendly is nearby.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Jeffr0

I prefer the revised anti-powerplant rocket rules from 5th edition better.

I think they called it a "Surge Rocket."
Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0
I prefer the revised anti-powerplant rocket rules from 5th edition better.

I think they called it a "Surge Rocket."
Which one of the 5e books are they listed in? All I have is Division 5, Set 3. and the Div. 5 Vehicle Guide. I may pick up the Arena book, and the Div. 15 set 2 sometime in the near future.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

i made a few new weapons for an upcoming pbem. i'll just post the link, as some of the descriptions are kinda hearty.

http://www.cwhnj.com/tsarnj/pbem/duel15/15rules.htm

in there is a homing missile that's similar to some of your weapon idea maybes. it's under the missile section.

what's the advantage of the caseless ammo? i don't think i understand. :)

there's already an official ammo ejection system. in the older rules, don't know about cw5.

how would the IFF type mines know what type of vehicle (cycle, trike, car) is driving over them if their weights overlap?

thanks,

joe
Old 08-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey
i made a few new weapons for an upcoming pbem. i'll just post the link, as some of the descriptions are kinda hearty.

http://www.cwhnj.com/tsarnj/pbem/duel15/15rules.htm

in there is a homing missile that's similar to some of your weapon idea maybes. it's under the missile section.
I'll take a look and let you know what I think.

Quote:
what's the advantage of the caseless ammo? i don't think i understand. :)
It weighs 1/2 has much as normal ammo.

Quote:
there's already an official ammo ejection system. in the older rules, don't know about cw5.
If their was one, I don't remember it. It's been close to 20 years since I've played and I'm just know getting back into the game. Do you remember where you saw the ammo ejection system?

Quote:
how would the IFF type mines know what type of vehicle (cycle, trike, car) is driving over them if their weights overlap?
Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) systems work off of electronic signals, not the vehicle's weight. If a vehicle broadcasting the correct IFF code dove over a smart mine, the mine would not detonate. One not broadcasting it, would cause it to explode.

Last edited by DSumner; 11-19-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
josephrey

Quote:
For 4x the normal cost they can be set to set to detonate for a specific type of vehicle (cars, cycles, trucks, etc.).
i'm ashamed that i included an IFF mention in my query. please forgive, i was mistaken. given the above quote please accept my new, streamlined question:

how would the mine know what type of vehicle is driving over it?

and how would the caseless ammo 'work' if there's no container to contain hundreds of rounds? (going with the area affect notion that each 'shot' is a burst of ammo.) that's what i meant by not understanding.

thanks,

joe

oh yeah.

here are some quick ammo ejection system stats. i'm getting it from uncle al's catalog from hell, p61.

$500 per weapon, 10% total ammo weight. when a vehicle catches fire the weapon is disabled. at the end of the next turn, if the fire has not been put out, the ammo is ejected. this happens before the roll to see if the vehicles explodes.